Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Drink_Man wrote: »
    I drink one 500ml bottle of beer every night Monday - Thursday, 2 every friday, 3 on a saturday, 2 on sunday, so 11 pints a week, it doesn't affect my daily life but would ye say I'm an alcoholic? I love craft beer and think about what ones I'll that evening or weekend, I don't drink spirits, I do love having a pint in the evening after work, what do ye think?

You're not relying on the alcohol so no you're not an alcoholic. But it's more unusual to drink 7 nights a week

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An alcoholic can't function without drink. One before work, one at lunch time, and some after work. Possibly a few sneaky sips during the day from a hip flask.

Ex-alcoholics often view any alcohol as too much alcohol, as they often can't stop after one or two.
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    For the last few months I've been getting a bottle of Bourbon from aldi every Friday and its gone by Sunday night. I have large glasses that take a 330ml can of coke and I top it off with 3 measures of the whiskey. This drink could last me 1-2 hrs, then I get another. I'll have 2/3 of an evening and the next morning I'd be grand.
    Doesn't sound like that much. Perhaps check out different bourbons, though? For example, some rums I'll have 1:3 of rum to mixer, whilst other rums would be 1:5, as the other rum is a stronger taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

the_syco wrote: »
    An alcoholic can't function without drink. One before work, one at lunch time, and some after work. Possibly a few sneaky sips during the day from a hip flask.

That's the common conception of an alcoholic but unfortunately it's not the case. You don't need to be drinking morning, noon and night to be an alcoholic, there are plenty of problem drinkers out there who "only" drink at evenings and weekends. Indeed, the idea that you have to be having vodka in your orange juice every morning and sneaking into the jacks in work during the day is a large part of the reason why a lot of people who functioning alcoholics think they're fine.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That's the common conception of an alcoholic but unfortunately it's not the case. You don't need to be drinking morning, noon and night to be an alcoholic, there are plenty of problem drinkers out there who "only" drink at evenings and weekends. Indeed, the idea that you have to be having vodka in your orange juice every morning and sneaking into the jacks in work during the day is a large part of the reason why a lot of people who functioning alcoholics think they're fine.

There's too much eagerness to put labels on stuff. For a while I thought I was an alcoholic but I didn't, I just relied on it instead of other stuff. I didn't have withdrawal, I had boredom. I haven't had a drink in a good while and don't intend to but I wasn't an alcoholic. Even people who make money out of treating alcoholics said not to use that label.

Advertisement