Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on 2 cars for same person

Options
  • 13-07-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,

Bought a new car recently. My old car is sitting in the driveway now, no NCT and feeling a bit unloved. I want to be able to dispose of my old car so need to get it to garage and NCT centre.

What are the chances of getting insurance on it? It's an 02 runaround.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Talk to your existing insurance company, they may give you temporary cover. Asking anyone else will require a new policy which will be expensive. I remember a few years ago when I bought a car privately so ended up like you with two cars, I asked Axa and they said they would cover me third party only on the old car for two weeks to allow me to sell it. That was two weeks starting on the day I transferred the policy to the new car, your situation is a bit different as the old car has been idle for a while but no harm asking them and see what they say.

Another option is to get a friend with 'driving other cars' cover in their own policy to drive the old car to the garage or NCT centre - you wouldn't be covered because you own the car. But be aware that as your old car now has no policy of it's own, somebody driving your car will not be covered if their policy is with Aviva or Liberty as those companies insist that a borrowed car has an current policy in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

coylemj wrote: »
    Talk to your existing insurance company, they may give you temporary cover. Asking anyone else will require a new policy which will be expensive. I remember a few years ago when I bought a car privately so ended up like you with two cars, I asked Axa and they said they would cover me third party only on the old car for two weeks to allow me to sell it. That was two weeks starting on the day I transferred the policy to the new car, your situation is a bit different as the old car has been idle for a while but no harm asking them and see what they say.

Another option is to get a friend with 'driving other cars' cover in their own policy to drive the old car to the garage or NCT centre - you wouldn't be covered because you own the car. But be aware that as your old car now has no policy of it's own, somebody driving your car will not be covered if their policy is with Aviva or Liberty as those companies insist that a borrowed car has an current policy in force.

Be very careful with the driving of other cars option. Some companies now require the third party car to also have its own policy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Is this a relatively recent stipulation by Liberty, as it was something they specifically did not require up to about 2 years ago ?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Be very careful with the driving of other cars option. Some companies now require the third party car to also have its own policy

You quoted my entire post but appear to have missed the second paragraph ..... it's not 'some companies', it's Aviva and Liberty.
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Is this a relatively recent stipulation by Liberty, as it was something they specifically did not require up to about 2 years ago ?

Up to about two years ago it was an urban myth but it became a fact when it was introduced as a condition by Aviva and they were followed about a year later by Liberty. I can see all companies eventually introducing that condition.

You quoted my entire post but appear to have missed the second paragraph ..... it's not 'some companies', it's Aviva and Liberty.

Up to about two years ago it was an urban myth but it became a fact when it was introduced as a condition by Aviva and they were followed about a year later by Liberty. I can see all companies eventually introducing that condition.

Apologies I missed that alright. I know 123 used to have the same rule as-well once upon a time but not sure if thats still the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No one can legally drive the car as it has no NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What are the chances of getting insurance on it? It's an 02 runaround.
    Scrap it. It'll probably work out cheaper than putting money into it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No one can legally drive the car as it has no NCT.

Unless they're taking it for an NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

AFAIK you cannot legally drive a Car to an NCT Test without a current NCT.

You can however drive it home if it fails........:confused:

edit; which was pointed out in the post directly above your's (your's was #48) in this Thread,
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107152241

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Why don’t you just sell the car as it is?... it sounds from your OP that it’s worthless so why put any money into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    AFAIK you cannot legally drive a Car to an NCT Test without a current NCT.

You can however drive it home if it fails........:confused:

The only exemption is if the car came from an island without a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Why don’t you just sell the car as it is?... it sounds from your OP that it’s worthless so why put any money into it.

It's going to a younger relative. Want to transfer it knowing it's safe for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's going to a younger relative. Want to transfer it knowing it's safe for them.
    It's over 15 years old. How much will their annual insurance be?

the_syco wrote: »
    It's over 15 years old. How much will their annual insurance be?

I'm aware of that, thanks.

Are you aware that some companies will refuse to take on a car that old? Your younger relative needs to shop around for quotes, they may have to decline your offer and the next destination for your old car could be the scrapyard.

Are you aware that some companies will refuse to take on a car that old? Your younger relative needs to shop around for quotes, they may have to decline your offer and the next destination for your old car could be the scrapyard.

Yep. As I said, I'm aware of that. So are they. Was only giving background as to why I've wound up with 2 cars and no insurance on one. Not going to make like a moron and spend money on something they're not taking.

Advertisement