Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair breach of Regulation 261/2004

Options
  • 10-07-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am sure that many of you are aware of the above regulation relating to compensation for cancelled/delayed flights. It appears that Ryanair use a 'Winning Streak' wheel when providing excuses for these flight delays/cancellations (hence, voiding them of their legal compensation obligations as per the above regulation). Our flight from Budapest was delayed by 8 hours and Ryanair cited French ATC disruptions as the cause (which was nonsense). This can be proven to not being the case (they diverted our on-time aircraft to satisfy a different number of sectors where another aircraft was taken out of commission in BUD). I cannot go into details, as this issue will almost certainly result in litigation against Ryanair. 12 of our group of 13 were given ATC as the reason, whilst one was given thunderstorms!!

It's patently obvious that these excuses placate most passengers, but it is fairly easy to analyse routes/aircraft/times etc using Flightrader24 to establish the true cause for many delays.

Has anyone on here actually received compensation from Ryanair for a cancelled/delayed flight under the above regulation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,265 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have. received the money in less than a week. They ended up paying for our entire weekend away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loads of people have - eventually. Even when they agree it takes a prolonged time to arrive. You sometimes need to claim repeatedly, re-emphasising that their excuse is either untrue or isn't a get-out.

I had a flight where there wasn't crew to operate the aircraft so it was delayed 6 hours (and others cancelled) to be operated by a different frame. Wheel-of-excuses landed on "mechanical problem" and cheque issued!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had a recent flight from Birmingham to Dublin delayed by over the limit, the inbound aircraft was taken to transfer passengers from an earlier Dublin flight that had been delayed due to the Dublin aircraft being sent to Malta.

Claimed within 24 hours of arriving home, had response to claim within 3 days, and payment in full of EU261 payment 10 days later. There was no argument, or attempt to blame other reasons, even though there had been a major failure of ATC systems in Europe that day.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Had a recent flight delayed by over the limit.
    Claimed within 24 hours of arriving home, had response to claim within 3 days, and payment in full of EU261 payment 10 days later. There was no argument, or attempt to blame other reasons, even though there had been a major failure of ATC systems in Europe that day.

The missus and I had an identical experience. In fact Ryanair had actually emailed us to apologise for the delay and advise us of our rights before we got out of bed the next morning!

Ten out of ten for customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Av8or

I understand why they fob customers off with invalid excuses, as most will accept them as being gospel. When I sent them proof that ATC had nothing to do with our delay, I got an email back apologising for the misinformation, then went on the blame the same (non-existent) ATC delays in the next paragraph!! I also know that passengers on other flights delayed by the same 737 breakdown were also fed the ATC excuse.

Advertisement