Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

We go again - 50 euro league

  • 09-07-2018 4:04am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ mirwillbeback
    Registered User


    Hey lads,

    Same story as last year, 50 euro in and limited to 30 people total, first come first in.

    Send me a PM if you want in, I’m hoping to finish better than 2nd last this season

    :)


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    What are you thinking re prize pot breakdown (regardless of signup numbers) ?

    Paying 2 places ?

    80% for winner and 20% for runner up ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Chopper83
    Registered User


    I'd be interested in joining this league


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭ Trimm Trabb
    Registered User


    I’d be up for joining again - i always like a spread of the prize money to keep things interesting for as mant as possible as long as possible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ mirwillbeback
    Registered User


    We did top three the last few seasons, but open to suggestions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    We did top three the last few seasons, but open to suggestions.


    I’m all about rewarding winners so I like ‘winner takes all’ or pay 1st and 2nd places only, 80-20 split.

    If I was running the olympics there’d only be a single level podium and one medal.

    So before I sign up I’d like to know the split.

    Maybe make a suggestion and see what people think.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ mirwillbeback
    Registered User


    klopparama wrote: »
    I’m all about rewarding winners so I like ‘winner takes all’ or pay 1st and 2nd places only, 80-20 split.

    If I was running the olympics there’d only be a single level podium and one medal.

    So before I sign up I’d like to know the split.

    Maybe make a suggestion and see what people think.

    I’m happy to go 1st / 2nd at 80/20


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭ Dearg81
    Registered User


    I'm in but won't be signing up for for a few weeks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭ stephenl15
    Registered User


    I'd prefer a top 3 prize places especially if there's 35-30 entrants


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭ Trimm Trabb
    Registered User


    stephenl15 wrote: »
    I'd prefer a top 3 prize places especially if there's 35-30 entrants

    Likewise


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭ normanoffside
    Registered User


    I suggest get everyone signed up and then we can take a vote on the prize structure?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ Markx
    Registered User


    I suggest get everyone signed up and then we can take a vote on the prize structure?

    Respectfully, I suggest we let the organiser decide. It's his league, and he's doing the legwork for a few years now so IMO it's up to him. If he wishes to have a vote I'm fine with that too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ BlondeBomb
    Registered User


    If there was a prize for 3rd I’d have it only as money back (€50). It’s a nice consolation prize and will probably keep more people active even just for that.

    I’m not sure how it has worked here but any leagues I’ve been part of generally once people start doing bad they wane of and lose interest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭ normanoffside
    Registered User


    Markx wrote: »
    Respectfully, I suggest we let the organiser decide. It's his league, and he's doing the legwork for a few years now so IMO it's up to him. If he wishes to have a vote I'm fine with that too.

    That’s good with me too.
    The point I was making is to get as many signed up as possible first and then see as the ideal prize structure will depend a lot on number of entrants.


  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ St. Lupulin
    Registered User


    Don't really mind whether top 3 or top 5 get paid, it' all good.

    I'm just glad to see a league with no bullsh!t involved.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭ Chesty08
    Registered User


    I’d like to get involved this year


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    Markx wrote: »
    Respectfully, I suggest we let the organiser decide. It's his league, and he's doing the legwork for a few years now so IMO it's up to him. If he wishes to have a vote I'm fine with that too.

    Respectfully, I asked him on prize breakdown before I paid. He said 80-20 so I joined. So I expect it to be 80-20 percent for first and second.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭ wonski
    Registered User


    klopparama wrote: »
    Respectfully, I asked him on prize breakdown before I paid. He said 80-20 so I joined. So I expect it to be 80-20 percent for first and second.

    Respectfully you said:

    So before I sign up I’d like to know the split.

    Maybe make a suggestion and see what people think.

    And after that not a one person backed 80/20 split.

    He said he was happy with that split, though.

    While I understand your reasoning you didn't really leave much time between asking a question and signing up.

    I would be up for 3 paid, too tbh.

    Again, open to discussion and don't mind leaving it some time before deciding to join.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    wonski wrote: »
    Respectfully you said:

    So before I sign up I’d like to know the split.

    Maybe make a suggestion and see what people think.

    And after that not a one person backed 80/20 split.

    He said he was happy with that split, though.

    While I understand your reasoning you didn't really leave much time between asking a question and signing up.

    I would be up for 3 paid, too tbh.

    Again, open to discussion and don't mind leaving it some time before deciding to join.

    What is it about boards that wants to reward the fat kid for taking part but finishing last ?

    As soccer fans we all laugh at the idea of the 4th place league finisher getting the ‘champions league place trophy’ and we all agree that second is nowhere re league.

    ‘We only came second on goal difference’ is met with laughter. History doesn’t care who finished second.

    But on boards FPL we want to reward the fat kid for taking part.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭ wonski
    Registered User


    The reference of fat kid getting reward for taking part doesn't really work for me, but I thought it will be more interesting for all if there is a third spot, even if it is just money back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭ Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo
    Registered User


    I will sign up. I like to play poker from time to time, sit and go's with 10 people pays 3 places, a tournament with 30 would be about 7 places. I don't bet on horse racing but there is usually 3,4 or 5 places paid, top goalscorer in the World Cup can be backed each way with the top 5 players being paid out on. Gambling on games pays places in general, nothing to do with fat kids in Ireland. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    wonski wrote: »
    The reference of fat kid getting reward for taking part doesn't really work for me, but I thought it will be more interesting for all if there is a third spot, even if it is just money back.

    The truth is Wonski I don’t really care about what places are paid. I know everyone is different. My brother always gives last place their money back. Each to their own.

    I’m probably unhealthily competitive and just genuinely don’t get rewarding anyone but 1st place.

    I’m just surprised I’m the only one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭ wonski
    Registered User


    klopparama wrote: »
    The truth is Wonski I don’t really care about what places are paid. I know everyone is different. My brother always gives last place their money back. Each to their own.

    I’m probably unhealthily competitive and just genuinely don’t get rewarding anyone but 1st place.

    I’m just surprised I’m the only one.

    To be honest giving money back for last place is a no no from me, never heard of that tbh. But that's not what we are suggesting. Not to mention that it would be open for abuse with negative points for transfers :)

    I can see that you are heavily competitive.

    Like I said I understand you, but with 1500 in pot there is a little spot for the one who almost did it imo. 80/20 is fine too. 80/15/5 wouldn't make any difference to the winner, with the other two, or hopefully more, having something to fight for.

    Leaving it to the man in charge to review when he gets a chance now. I haven't even signed up for it so I shouldn't get so involved.


  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ Markx
    Registered User


    klopparama wrote: »
    Respectfully, I asked him on prize breakdown before I paid. He said 80-20 so I joined. So I expect it to be 80-20 percent for first and second.

    Last year you intervened in another league's organisation in a similar fashion. You then said you would happily set up a 50 euro winner takes all this season. Have you done that yet?


  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭✭ howdido
    Registered User


    Would be interested - how does it work in terms of payment/getting paid?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭ klopparama
    Registered User


    Markx wrote: »
    Last year you intervened in another league's organisation in a similar fashion. You then said you would happily set up a 50 euro winner takes all this season. Have you done that yet?

    You my boss now or everybody’s ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Chopper83
    Registered User


    How do I join? Happy with whatever payment structure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ mirwillbeback
    Registered User


    Lads,

    If we get get 20-25 it will be first and second.

    25-30 will be top 3, split 70 / 20 /10

    Capped at 30 entrants

    If anyone unhappy who has joined can withdraw, but it’s meant as a way to encourage banter, not abuse.

    Anyone wanting to join send me a Pm

    Cheers


  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ timbel
    Registered User


    I'm in for this - PM sent


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ scotchy
    Registered User


    count me in:)

    Thanks

    .

    💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ mirwillbeback
    Registered User


    Lads, 16 in so far, so over half way to capacity already.
    Looking at the players, they really do seem to get it about right every year, so many of the vital players are priced up to still provoke debate on their necessity.
    Add to the post-WC confusion of who will and won't play and it's shaping up to be a very interesting year.


Advertisement