Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers leave

Options
  • 08-07-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Can an employer refuse or is it an entitlement? How much can you earn on top of benefit? Thanks.

Can you go from maternity leave to carer's leave or would you need to go back to work a while first? My eldest was diagnosed with Autism earlier this year and I'm struggling to find a new childminder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

73trix wrote: »
    Can an employer refuse or is it an entitlement? How much can you earn on top of benefit? Thanks.

Can you go from maternity leave to carer's leave or would you need to go back to work a while first? My eldest was diagnosed with Autism earlier this year and I'm struggling to find a new childminder.

You need to be applying for somewhere between 13 and 104 weeks otherwise an employer can refuse, outside that it is an entitlement depending on how long you've been in your current job for a continuous period (one year continuous work). You may run into difficulty going from maternity to carers leave from a statutory perspective but your employer may be open to an agreement on it. You'd need to check with DEASP though if you have a legal entitlement to going from maternity to carers leave if your employer doesn't agree

Generally, depending on your employer you can negotiate alternative arrangements.

You can work a max of 15 hours per week up to a maximum income threshold. You'll need to discuss this with DEASP.

Keep in mind that your child will need to be assessed to determine that full time care is needed, rather than just a childminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Uriel. wrote: »
    You need to be applying for somewhere between 13 and 104 weeks otherwise an employer can refuse, outside that it is an entitlement depending on how long you've been in your current job for a continuous period (one year continuous work). You may run into difficulty going from maternity to carers leave from a statutory perspective but your employer may be open to an agreement on it. You'd need to check with DEASP though if you have a legal entitlement to going from maternity to carers leave if your employer doesn't agree

Generally, depending on your employer you can negotiate alternative arrangements.

You can work a max of 15 hours per week up to a maximum income threshold. You'll need to discuss this with DEASP.

Keep in mind that your child will need to be assessed to determine that full time care is needed, rather than just a childminder.

He gets DCA so that should be enough? No too many childminders knocking on our door to mind a child with autism unfortunately. I have considered giving up work as so many parents find they that they have no other option but I don't want to do that yet.

Advertisement