Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

C__MC wrote: »
    Terrible call by myself on Kerry hammering Monaghan

Went to game, Kerry a shambles. Geaney off and back on? Something not right there. Papering over the cracks is the draw. Germany World Cup very similar.

Monaghan are fragile

Has the rule's re subs changed in the last 1-2 years. I taught a player could only come back on if substituted during or before half time. Only other reason a player could come back on is as a blood sub or if he went off with a blood injury. I know previous it was only if you went off at or before half time you could come back on. We used to used it at club level if we had some subs you wanted to give them a decent run you could take off a player or two and have them in reserve.

It say someting about the bench when you have put lads back on you take off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

MFPM wrote: »
    It's looking like a Dub V Tyrone final...

It’s looking like a 4 in a row for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 67,599 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Id say Kildare will have as much interest as Roscommon will against Dublin

Taking Kerry out would have a value to the end of their season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MFPM

Id say Kildare will have as much interest as Roscommon will against Dublin

Generally agree although Kildare have been much better than Roscommon, they may want to give it one last go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭threeball

Monaghan will be much more motivated though. Its hard for Galway as already through and that must get into their heads too even if they surely will want to avoid Dublin.

Galway not going to roll over and have their bellies tickled in salthill. They've lost one game all year to the top team in the country. They would rather avoid Dublin in the semi and keep the winning streak going. No one wants to hit an all Ireland semi off the back of a loss so Galway will win it I think as they're better in key positions and more composed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MFPM

conor05 wrote: »
    It’s looking like a 4 in a row for Dublin

It is, I'm just a little worried about Dublin being a little flat and their forwards are not at it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

How many times did a second football come out on the pitch today?
    Will have to clamp down on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So if Monaghan are four points up with normal time less than four minutes, should they just give the ball a mighty boot up the field, or try, unsuccessfully, to hold possession like the wily Jackeens?

Or does it matter when you see the end result.

That only comes into play if Monoghan and Galway are a draw, Monoghan hand pass the ball behing midfield and take there chances against Dublin.. Dublin will have to be beaten to win an All Ireland anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

pimpmyhat wrote: »

The official just kept doing it at our end. Even the Kerry goalie had words with him and he persisted every time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

threeball wrote: »
    Galway not going to roll over and have their bellies tickled in salthill. They've lost one game all year to the top team in the country. They would rather avoid Dublin in the semi and keep the winning streak going. No one wants to hit an all Ireland semi off the back of a loss so Galway will win it I think as they're better in key positions and more composed.

I wasn't that impressed with them today. The fact its on Salthill means i think they will get over the line but if it was Clones I would go with Monaghan. I also think Monaghan have baggage when it comes to beating a Kerry/Dublin which they wouldn't have against Galway. They left that game behind them today,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What play acting? This is same cr@p Dublin get. You are ahead, you have the ball, and you don't give it back to the opposition in some Boys' Own sense of fair play :)

Galway are serious team. Been beaten once in what? 14 games. Instead of whinging they have built the only contender to Dublin. Others might take a leaf out of their notebook.
    pimpmyhat wrote: »

It is tactic employed by several counties to slow down kickouts. Monaghan employed it today, and Tyrone were at it in Omagh at the league game in February. That it is tolerated is ironic given that there is supposedly a rule stopping ball boys giving the ball to the goalkeeper. One of the "Cluxton rules."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

There isn't that much that can be done about the 2nd ball - other than just playing on.

That only comes into play if Monoghan and Galway are a draw, Monoghan hand pass the ball behing midfield and take there chances against Dublin.. Dublin will have to be beaten to win an All Ireland anyway.

I was being facetious and attempting to draw out the bould Francie Brady who spent an entire week condemning Dublin for "keep ball" and whose own team did exactly the same today, except not very well. Everyone gets a fit of the jitters now and again it is true …...

I was being facetious and attempting to draw out the bould Francie Brady who spent an entire week condemning Dublin for "keep ball" and whose own team did exactly the same today, except not very well. Everyone gets a fit of the jitters now and again it is true …...

You still huffing about people being critical of 10 to 15 minutes negative play?

Dear me.

Monaghan did nothing of the sort today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,379 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whatever about Monaghan wasting so many chances those were two very enjoyable games today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You still huffing about people being critical of 10 to 15 minutes negative play?

Dear me.

That was the problem.
    Monaghan couldn't.

Dear me.

They tried to keep the ball for the last ten minutes but got turned over and wasted last possession because three players refused to pop over a handyish point.

They tried to do the most sensible thing but didn't have the "resources" to execute it.

Ce la vie mon ami :-)

I wasn't that impressed with them today. The fact its on Salthill means i think they will get over the line but if it was Clones I would go with Monaghan. I also think Monaghan have baggage when it comes to beating a Kerry/Dublin which they wouldn't have against Galway. They left that game behind them today,

Would Galway have conceded the goal that Monaghan did, I don't think so. When they needed to get a score and close the game out they did and Monaghan didn't. Not miles apart but Galway that bit more polished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Robson99

Galways are already though but will want to avoid Dublin. If it was soccer a 0-0 draw and they both would go through!

Really hope Galway and Monaghan trash out a deal in the the next 10 days or so and agree to draw the match. Both will go trough and no pressure on Monaghan

That was the problem.
    Monaghan couldn't.

I didn't see them wanting to.

I genuinely think O'Rourke's substitutions forced the Monaghan backs to drop back and opened up a channel down the middle for Kerry and they took advantage.
    They fell victim to what Fermanagh did again and will have to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Until you've buried them and the stake is through the heart...

Let it never be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Robson99 wrote: »
    Really hope Galway and Monaghan trash out a deal in the the next 10 days or so and agree to draw the match. Both will go trough and no pressure on Monaghan
    Nice way to play a game.

threeball wrote: »
    Would Galway have conceded the goal that Monaghan did, I don't think so. When they needed to get a score and close the game out they did and Monaghan didn't. Not miles apart but Galway that bit more polished

Monaghan closed out their game against Kildare better then Galway did by the sounds of it. Didn't see the 2nd half only had it on the radio.

They tried to keep the ball for the last ten minutes but got turned over and wasted last possession because three players refused to pop over a handyish point.

They tried to do the most sensible thing but didn't have the "resources" to execute it.

Ce la vie mon ami :-)

As fanciful a reading of the end of a game as I have heard. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nice way to play a game.

That it would be themselves as victims so it would make it sweeter. But no way it would happen given neither would want to play us.

you would know, so I take your word.

you would know, so I take your word.

Maybe you should open your own thread to discuss the terrible insult of somebody criticising Dublin?
    Folk wanna talk about today's games. It isn't all about Dublin. :rolleyes:

What play acting? This is same cr@p Dublin get. You are ahead, you have the ball, and you don't give it back to the opposition in some Boys' Own sense of fair play :)

Galway are serious team. Been beaten once in what? 14 games. Instead of whinging they have built the only contender to Dublin. Others might take a leaf out of their notebook.
    Maybe you should open your own thread to discuss the terrible insult of somebody criticising Dublin?
    Folk wanna talk about today's games. It isn't all about Dublin. :rolleyes:

You spent an entire week condemning Dublin for closing down the game against Donegal.

Now, what was the difference between what Dublin and Galway did, successfully, and Monaghan attempted to do, unsuccessfully?

Monaghan closed out their game against Kildare better then Galway did by the sounds of it. Didn't see the 2nd half only had it on the radio.

Galway picked off the scores they needed to when they needed to and the goal chance kildare created was sniffed out. Never looked in bother really

• Advertisement

You spent an entire week condemning Dublin for closing down the game against Donegal.

Now, what was the difference between what Dublin and Galway did, successfully, and Monaghan attempted to do, unsuccessfully?

Monaghan did not handpass among themselves and back pass for over 10 minutes.

Get off the stage there Bonnie, you are sounding ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement