Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty points expired - insurance refund?

Options
  • 06-07-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I have 3 points on my licence since July 2015 which are due to be removed shortly. There is currently a 10% loading on my insurance premium for having 3 penalty points. I am only 2 months into my cover.

My question is, if I call up my insurer to tell them that I don't have any penalty points now, will they refund me a portion of the 10% loading that I paid on top of my premium in April?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can certainly call them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Your insurance premium is set for 12 months unless you change the car or add/remove drivers.

When you received the points I would assume it was during a period of insurance, you were not required to call them then and if you did they did not load your premium at that point - the load was effective at the next renewal.

It is unlikely they will refund you but as previous poster suggests there is nothing to lose in asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Advertisement