Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points and insurance

Options
  • 03-12-2015 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

My insurance is up for renewal in 3 weeks time and wanting to know how much will 3 penalty points effect me. My insurance company sent me my quote for next year however this is before they know I was stopped because I was chatting on the phone and received 3 penalty points :( Will it effect my insurance much ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Won't affect you at all - always declare them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

novarock wrote: »
    Won't affect you at all - always declare them.

Does it not even get raised by say 10-20 euros?

Nope, Its a different conversation after 6 points however..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Insurance is a total crap shoot at the moment anyway so who knows, it could reduce your premium. *

*probably won't reduce the quote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nonsense. Aviva insist on a higher premium for 1 penalty point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

It's worse than that in my experience. I found it was pretty difficult to find someone who would actually insure me with 5 points. I have 2 points for speeding before the new rules came in, and 3 for speeding after the new rules came in.

So even though it was two offences, some companies wouldn't even look at a licence with over 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I believe three points isn't too bad as lets face it we all speed at some point, it's just a case of if we get caught. However 4 points and up you will see a big jump in the premium.

If you think about it, anyone caught speeding and given 3 points would be fairly stupid to continue driving fast, they would (i hope) be much more careful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

All down to company. I got charged an admin charge of 30 when I told the insurer I got 2 at the time. Don't think has made much difference overall tho when shopping around his year.

I shopped around last year, for work I have to have Class 2 Fully Comp, I have 2 points. I asked the question of every company I called, and I called most, including Aviva, and all roughly said that 1 offence is not noted, 2 affects the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nonsense. Aviva insist on a higher premium for 1 penalty point.

Totally agree. They don't load you for points but they give you a discount if you have none. I got €50 s €60 rebate in August when 2 points expired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement