Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Course Name change, what can i do?

• 04-07-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi,

I just finished up 4th year of a computer science degree a few weeks back. the course name changed after 3rd year to a very generic name, which me and the rest of the class are not to happy about. I am hoping to get it changed back at least on our degrees.

I contacted the head of department about this and he said it is not possible to change it but surely it is wrong that it was changed as i signed up and paid to do a different course.

From talking to recruiters and friends who develop recruitment software they say because the new course name is generic it doesn't have the keywords many of the algorithms recruitment software uses to find candidates and when recruiters read the CVs they are title confused by the title.

Any ideas who else i could talk to on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

A solicitor friend..... You signed up for one thing you got something else.... Doubt the algorithms can read your degree though. You state what is in it or some such. A little letter from a solicitor telling them you plan to sue the college for mis representation of your degree and you plan to sure for all monies paid to the college over the four years plus living expenses plus a stipend added onto the cost of the four year course you want to do and you can be sure that your degree will read what you signed up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

A solicitor friend..... You signed up for one thing you got something else.... Doubt the algorithms can read your degree though. You state what is in it or some such. A little letter from a solicitor telling them you plan to sue the college for mis representation of your degree and you plan to sure for all monies paid to the college over the four years plus living expenses plus a stipend added onto the cost of the four year course you want to do and you can be sure that your degree will read what you signed up for.

They can't read your degree but can read your CV and having the old name and new name will take up over a full line as the old name is pretty long. Dont want to put down just the old course name as would i not be doing the same as what CIT are doing in misrepresenting myself?

I didn't think about what you suggested before it is a good idea, ill have to say it to the rest of the class.

Then put the course number in.... Plus a link to their old prospectus. Explain the situation to any prospective employers. What you will find is your future colleagues will have the same degree you have and will be able to "vouch" for you if questioned by hr. Consider the media also. IT and comp science is booming now..... Any hinderince to you getting a job by the college is wholly unacceptable imo. I would imagine however, the name change won't apply to you and will apply to whatever cohort joined the college once the name change had been initiated.
    All the best with it. I would be fuming and any barriers to the workforce (or pay scales for that matter) would be met by litigation procedures by my solicitors. Bear in mind,should you choose to go down the solicitor route then best not to speak to the media.....

No the head of department confirmed it will apply to us.

Ill let you know how it pans out.

thanks for your input.

grimeire wrote: »
    No the head of department confirmed it will apply to us.

Ill let you know how it pans out.

thanks for your input.

Do!

Also - strength in numbers in this instance should scare them out of their wits.. (rough numbers coming) 4k fees x 4 years x30 students = 480,000 euro. That does not include any living expenses or what not..... All adds up. Poor form really from the college....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Didn't think CIT had a computer science degree. What has the course title changed from/to?

They don't but they changed the department from maths/computing to computer science.

The course was called Software Development & Computer Networking and is now called Computer Systems

grimeire wrote: »
    They don't but they changed the department from maths/computing to computer science.

The course was called Software Development & Computer Networking and is now called Computer Systems

I studied international business studies and Spanish..... Is this like saying business?

still at least from the name i know that you have studied Spanish which i would have never known from just business.

there are CS courses that do not have any software modules other than basic ones in first year. e.g IT level 7. look another generic course name. There are some that don't have networking e.g soft dev, that is why it is important in my mind that the old name is restored at least on our degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Put the old name in.

No one cares. No recruiter will be checking the course name on the CV matches the university website

• Advertisement

Put the old name in.

No one cares. No recruiter will be checking the course name on the CV matches the university website

No recruiter will...... But go work for a multinational..... They hire external organizations to check all these details.... Some of them are poor at the checks others are rigorous. It matters.

A mate of mine was offered a job with ESB last year and the offer was dependent on a certain minimum grade 2:1 in his case.

They are going to see the wrong course title when he has to provide the grade. They will then see the course that was given initially is different than what is on the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Apocalypse2018

i graduated from Software Development & Computer Networking in 2017 but thankfully they didn't change the name on my parchment. I was worried a bit they would give me computer systems parchment, I would sue them!! Wtf is that you sign up for one thing and you get another thing.. after 4 years of hard work they screw you over.. again i would sue them

I even created a thread here
    www . boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747747

LMAO, I forgot the credentials to that account though..

Advertisement