Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are too many threads here being closed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JTF and OEJ please just quit the petty sniping at each other,

OEJ you are very well aware that LGBT is a widely used term. To be honest you are trolling trying to find excuses not to use it. You know that it winds some trans posters up and you use it deliberately to do that. It is clear trolling. Please stop trolling this forum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Literally, have no interest in debating you on any subject other than your suspect character. Won't play along with your or any other cishet's games on here, sorry.

As I stated previously, I do not use the term 'debate' as I pointed out that the term implies an adversarial narrative as though all points are held as equally valid. I have no interest in debating any issues on this platform either as it simply isn't the place for it.

At no point have I ever questioned either your existence, your experiences, your identity or your character. It contributes nothing to the discussion, and in the same way, your questioning of my character contributes nothing to the discussion, which is why I ignored your character assassination.

What little opinion you did offer, I have the right to defend myself from your personal attacks. At no point have I ever attacked you personally, I have disagreed with your opinions, and still never questioned your experiences or your character.

This extends to the idea that I support some ideas, and disagree with others. I don't have to like the people who express those ideas, and I don't have to accept their opinion without question. If people cannot question ideas, then how is anyone ever expected to learn anything?

It's precisely because I take the time to engage with people who also take the time to educate me on these issues that I learned some time ago that sexual orientation and gender are completely different concepts, and that's why as opposed to your earlier assertions of "TERF logic", the terminology I use acknowledges that people who are LGB, and people who are T, are not mutually exclusive. They share many social and political goals in common, but they are also unique as individuals in various ways.

That you and other posters have never encountered the term before should have been seen as a learning experience rather than perceiving any malicious intent, and were you to ask me the origins of the term I would have told you that it comes from people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. I also use people-first language when referring to people, and some people read malicious intent into my use of that terminology too, and infer all sorts as you and others here have done. You're simply reading into something that isn't there, as there is no attempted erasure, and no attempt at dog whistling or anything else.

Rather than attempting to shut the discussion down, this could have been an opportunity to learn something from the discussion. If you're not interested in playing games, then lay off with the personal abuse and character assassination, because that's playing games as far as I'm concerned. It sure as hell isn't educating anyone, it contributes nothing to the discussion, and it only reflects poorly on you, because I don't make sweeping generalisations and ill-informed assumptions about any group in society, and that's exactly why I would never assume you are representative of people who are transgender, as that hasn't been my experience of people who are transgender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

At no point have I ever attacked you personally, I have disagreed with your opinions, and still never questioned your experiences or your character.

FarawayThunderousIrishwolfhound-max-1mb.gif

Jesus, One eyed Jack, nobody here is interested in debating "DISCUSSING" anything with you. Go start a new thread on this nonsense so we can ignore you in peace.

Are too many threads here being closed? The answer, evidently, is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

From the link on "People-first language":
    person-first language (PFL), is a type of linguistic prescription to avoid marginalization or dehumanization (either conscious or subconscious) when discussing people with a health issue or disability.

I'll just leave that there for others to judge this poster's real intent...

So done...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow .... talk about a thread about one particular issue getting utterly derailed.:eek: I think it’s clear that Transgender people have been an integral part of the LGBT movement ever since at least Stonewall. Yes, gender identity and sexuality are different things but I don’t think anyone is disputing that.

And seriously, some posters need to just let it go...

Hope this thread doesn’t end up getting locked!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sealioning
    A subtle form of trolling involving "bad-faith" questions. You disingenuously frame your conversation as a sincere request to be enlightened, placing the burden of educating you entirely on the other party. If your bait is successful, the other party may engage, painstakingly laying out their logic and evidence in the false hope of helping someone learn. In fact you are attempting to harass or waste the time of the other party, and have no intention of truly entertaining their point of view. Instead, you react to each piece of information by misinterpreting it or requesting further clarification, ad nauseum. The name "sea-lioning" comes from a Wondermark comic strip.

Sound familiar?

Advertisement