Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine in France for Irish registered car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Got one today, €45 in France July 9th. could be worse, hopefully wont get any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Just bear in mind that UK drivers can only be perused by debt collection agencies. Irish drivers can potentially be prosecuted in France with the penalties applied here!

https://e-justice.europa.eu/388/EN/payment_of_fines#:~:text=The%20principle%20of%20mutual%20recognition,which%20the%20penalties%20are%20imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I bloody got one today too.. offence was 12/07/23 . Doing 80 in a 70! Suppose I may pay it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Were these speeding tickets from a speed camera or from a policeman

??

France uses a combination of fixed cameras, traditional police speed traps and also rolling ANPR cameras that move in traffic. They've really cracked down hard on speeding in the last decade or so.

https://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/poitiers/vienne-les-radars-mobiles-prives-arrivent-au-mois-d-octobre

You won't know you're caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Ours was a fixed camera and think most of the others seem to be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Since the rollout of the 'shengan info system 2' police forces across Europe have access to a lot more info than previously, regarding foreign people and vehicles.

This seems to be why fines are being sent, where previously they would have been ignored.

Now, the big question is, whether they will follow up on unpaid fines.

The follow up is that you can be prosecuted in France for non payment (potentially in your absence too if you don't show up), and the penalty can then be implemented by an Irish court. That system's being rolled out at the moment.

SIS II contains info on Vehicle, boat, and aircraft registration and has been active since 2022 for those. It's relatively recent. Ireland has only been plugged into that system since 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I paid it.. feck it, its not worth the hassle when I go back for dodging a 45 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

In case it's of interest to anyone, apparently the statute of limitations for speeding fines in France is 12 months.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/checklist-for-travel-in-france-advice-appreciated.201155/page-7#post-7745998

Traffic infractions become time-barred after one year and criminal offences (e.g. drunk driving) after six years. As regards the enforcement of penalties, the limitation period is three years for misdemeanours and five years for serious traffic offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Interesting.. I have unpaid parking fines from 20 years ago in Australia (they never had my Irish address, all fines were addressed to a hostel in Sydney)... have always thought my passport might trigger if I decided to go back, but guess this proves it might.

Anyway I saw everywhere while I was there so no need to go back... just hope work doesn't send me there one day 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Are these rented cars our are they Irish cars that people have travelled over on in the ferry....

Just seen the Subject title - ignore that question

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I got a 100 euro fine in Spain 2 years ago on my motorbike for doing 62 in a 50 zone, it was 50 euro if paid with 60 days which i didn't bother paying. The letter stated if non payment they would issue the full fine again by post and if not paid would proceed with the legal route etc... I just totally ignored it and never heard a thing again. I've been back to Spain since and no problems at border.

I'd say it's just not worth the hassle for them to dick around for a tiny amount of money like that now if they'd caught me doing 180 in 80 zone maybe it would be different i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

paid mine this morning

looked over it again and it turns out if i was going 3kmph faster, i would have had no fine 😎

there is a technical margin of 5kmph of anything up to 100 and 10kmph of anything over 100

i was clocked at 97 in a 90 zone so the speed used is 92

if i was clocked at 100, the speed used would have been 90

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

But Ireland is not part of the Schengen Area ??? Why would non-Schengen areas share information with Schengen authorities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A bit of misinterpretation going on there. Yes, the statute of limitations is 12 months, but that's for the authorities to get around to sending you a fine, and with the additional clarification that the 12-month period can be interrupted and/or re-started if they have to chase someone else for your details (e.g. a rental agency). Once the fine is issued, there's no 12-month limit on when they can collect it ... and as so many on here have noticed, the French are pretty damn quick at getting the fines out, well before their 12-month limit comes into sight.

As regards the relevance of any Schengen arrangement to Irish drivers, well that'd come into play if you happened to be tootling around any of France's border regions. As there are no border posts any more, Customs operate flying squads in a zone about 75km deep, aswell as certain "cross-roads" routes well inside the country, and they will have access to all fines registered to your vehicle. Too many unpaid Schengen Area fines would certainly encourage them to invite you to the local commisariat to explain yourself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That's not entirely correct. You're conflating two different systems. For fixed and temporary speed cameras, it's 5km/h up to 100km/h and then 5% ; for mobile (on-board/ANPR-type) radars, it 10km/h up to 100, then 10%.

Might be worth knowing also the amount of the fine goes down as the authorised speed goes up. If you're caught speeding in a 50km/h zone, the fine is about double that for roads with a 70, 80 or 90 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Bought car in UK and was bringing it home via the M50 Toll..genuinely forgot to pay the toll-fee ..reregistered the car here in Ireland and many months later received a fine for non payment of M50 toll from a UK company that deals with cross border non payments. Fine was not a lot, but be warned...

Advertisement