Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemist or Pharmacy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

From the late, great Mark E Smith...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

When I was young it was the chemist's. Not like today's pharmacies all clean and white, the chemist's was small and dark with shelves full of glass bottles with glass stoppers labelled iodine, bromide, glycerine etc., and a smaller range of packaged medicines.
    There was also a guy called Al who worked in the back turning lead into gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Drugstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,273 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Vita nova wrote: »
    When I was young it was the chemist's. Not like today's pharmacies all clean and white, the chemist's was small and dark with shelves full of glass bottles with glass stoppers labelled iodine, bromide, glycerine etc., and a smaller range of packaged medicines.
    There was also a guy called Al who worked in the back turning lead into gold.
    He had a working particle accelerator?

Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Both work fine.

The weird one is that many Americans I've known assume 'chemist' as 'breaking bad style illegal drug producer' but never see anything odd about them calling it a f*cking DRUG STORE!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

The pharmacist is in the chemist.

Phwoar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Akrasia wrote: »
    He had a working particle accelerator?

Awesome!

I think he was an alchemist, rather than a chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

fxotoole wrote: »
    Anyone else use the word chemist to describe a pharmacy? I know my dad always uses the word chemist, which leads me to believe it’s an older generational thing. Or is it a word that found its way into the Hiberno-English vernacular from somewhere else?

chemist = person; pharmacy = place.
    pharmacist = chemist who works in a pharmacy mixing chemicals to make pharmaceuticals or dispensing premixed pharmaceuticals

• Registered Users Posts: 40,267 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    chemist = person; pharmacy = place.
    pharmacist = chemist who works in a pharmacy mixing chemicals to make pharmaceuticals or dispensing premixed pharmaceuticals

No the actual shop itself was called the chemists when i was a lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

No the actual shop itself was called the chemists when i was a lad.

It was called the chemists in the same way as the meatsellers was called the victuallers or the food store was called the grocers.

You'd have seen the sign on the shop painted as Roches Chemists (see attached photo from 1964 in O'Connell St) or Kellys Grocers etc.

So the shop would be colloquially known by the name of profession practiced by the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,267 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was called the chemists in the same way as the meatsellers was called the victuallers or the food store was called the grocers.

as in that is what they were actually called.

You'd have seen the sign on the shop painted as Roches Chemists (see attached photo from 1964 in O'Connell St) or Kellys Grocers etc.

So the shop would be colloquially known by the name of profession practiced by the owners.

I'm not quite as old as that photo but i do remember that shop as a kid. Everything you said has just backed up the point that fxotoole said earlier.

Advertisement