Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well I obviously can't discuss specifics, but most VPN services will work on phones too with the same account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah, this whole service seems half baked. What's the point?

Replays are a nice feature actually but they're free

It's a service that is absolutely and 100% not aimed at Irish people. It was never advertised as such.

The Pro14 can't sign broadcast deals with Eir and TG4, then turn around and release their own streaming service to compete with them.

Come on lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah, this whole service seems half baked. What's the point?

Replays are a nice feature actually but they're free

It's a service that is absolutely and 100% not aimed at Irish people. It was never advertised as such.

The Pro14 can't sign broadcast deals with Eir and TG4, then turn around and release their own streaming service to compete with them.

Come on lads

I accept that but based on the list of territories it's available in, who exactly is it aimed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

If you're just looking for Pro14 and Champions Cup matches, RugbyPass' Australian subscription is $50 annually for those two competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I accept that but based on the list of territories it's available in, who exactly is it aimed at?

Ex-pats in territories that don't have a broadcast agreement

• Advertisement

Ex-pats in territories that don't have a broadcast agreement

Exactly.

I honestly don't see why people are complaining. If you're a Leinster fan living in China or a Munster fan in Poland, this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

MJohnston wrote: »
    FUzmLpw.png

If you are in Malaysia its only $3 a month. Has all the content

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you are in Malaysia its only $3 a month. Has all the content

Amazing value.

I happened to, er, be in Malaysia and got the monthly pass for $3. I should have bought the annual pass for ~$30 in case they change the price.

So, this is an interesting one.

Sky Sports have announced that they will be the "exclusive distribution partner" for Premier Sports in Ireland.

Since Premier Sports is basically Eir Sport 2, what does this mean for the amount of Pro14 on Eir Sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

But the pro14 rights would still be with eir sports?
    Are premier going to have Ire/uk rights for la liga/serie a going forward?

Presumably the pro14 would be blocked on premier in Ireland unless tuned through the other channels option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sounds like Eirsport is dead!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/eir-customers-to-lose-out-on-bt-sport-and-premier-sports-as-sky-take-over-1.3823004

With the partnership between Sky and BT, Sky customers in Ireland will also be able to view Champions League, Europa League, Heineken Champions Cup rugby, Premiership rugby and more via their single subscription while rugby fans will also get Pro14 coverage via Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Riskymove wrote: »

Sounds like a hefty price increase for Sky Sports is on the way.

That journalist hasn't got his facts right.

Eir sports have exclusive pro14 rights for the ROI. That won't change under this deal. They have those rights for the next 2 years.

I think Premier will be blocked on sky in the ROI for pro14 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭PMC83

Its a little hard to follow. Eir customers will lose out on BT for sure (it was never going to last long)- but will they also loose the pro14?

I would imagine so if they only had a one year deal? If its more then that, then I assume it will be shown on both channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PMC83 wrote: »
    Its a little hard to follow. Eir customers will lose out on BT for sure (it was never going to last long)- but will they also loose the pro14?

I would imagine so if they only had a one year deal? If its more then that, then I assume it will be shown on both channels?

Was only confirmed last year that Eir Sport had the exclusive rights for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭PMC83

Was only confirmed last year that Eir Sport had the exclusive rights for 3 years.

Cheers. That answers that so. You would imagine that it could be curtains for Eir Spor in a few years though.

If I could only add Bt to ,my virgin package Id be laughing

Worth saying again, there has been no confirmation that BT will be gone from Eir. "Exclusive distribution partner" could mean a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NEXT SEASON’S PRO14 will begin four weeks later than usual, with fixtures continuing through most of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The competition will kick off on Friday 27 September and there will be three rounds of games before a break for the weekend of the World Cup quarter-finals on 19 and 20 October.

The tournament will resume for round four on 25 October and there will also be a full round the following weekend when the World Cup final takes place in Tokyo on 2 November.

There will then be a further series of league games a week later before breaking for the opening rounds of the Champions Cup on the weekends starting 15 and 22 November.

Clubs have been told that a further round of the PRO14 will take place on the final weekend in November before breaking again for the third and fourth series of European games on 6 and 13 December.

The schedule will then bring the usual Christmas derby games followed by the two remaining pool rounds of European action on the weekends starting 10 and 17 January 2020.

The PRO14 is expected to confirm its schedule in the coming weeks, almost six months after the French and English announced their plans for the 2019/20 season. The uncertainty over the regional situation in Wales is not believed to be a factor as the WRU is committed to fielding four teams. However, it is believed that the level of South African involvement was a factor in the delay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Worth saying again, there has been no confirmation that BT will be gone from Eir. "Exclusive distribution partner" could mean a lot of things.

If they lose BT they're screwed. The majority of subscribers are paying for football on BT rather than the Pro14 on Eir. If you can get all your football in one package with Sky, why would you pay for Eir?

If they lose BT they're screwed. The majority of subscribers are paying for football on BT rather than the Pro14 on Eir. If you can get all your football in one package with Sky, why would you pay for Eir?

Because a lot of people watch rugby and the pro14 in Ireland. It is free with the broadband anyway and probably reflects more 'real' value.

Getting BT Sports was a real sweetener and wasn't going to last.

For Virgin subscribers they should get access to the BT channels again. Whether virgin and eir do a deal it may be harder to happen given their bad blood.

• Advertisement

I would say the vast majority of Eir subscribers get it free with their internet connection.

Eir's problem is that offering is now a lot less attractive.

Edit: if of course they are in fact losing BT

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That journalist hasn't got his facts right.

Eir sports have exclusive pro14 rights for the ROI. That won't change under this deal. They have those rights for the next 2 years.

I think Premier will be blocked on sky in the ROI for pro14 games.
    How does that work when Premier and Eir Sports 2 are the same channel?

If (when) they lose BT they will have to drop their price for non-Eir customers to rock bottom for it to represent any real value.

Most of the value in Eir Sport is BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

wrote:
    Edit: if of course they are in fact losing BT

it seems contract with BT ends in summer

with all this going on it would appear unlikely it will continue

If (when) they lose BT they will have to drop their price for non-Eir customers to rock bottom for it to represent any real value.

Most of the value in Eir Sport is BT Sport.

absolutely
    How does that work when Premier and Eir Sports 2 are the same channel?

I think that is for convenience as part of their deal. likely now that premier sports only available on sky so Eir will have to produce their own channels if they continue

I believe they use premiers broadcasts also so this may be an issue too

it seems contract with BT ends in summer

with all this going on it would appear unlikely it will continue

absolutely

I think that is for convenience as part of their deal. likely now that premier sports only available on sky so Eir will have to produce their own channels if they continue

I believe they use premiers broadcasts also so this may be an issue too
    But isn't this convenience one of the reasons why Eir can actually offer so much pro14? If they have to produce a whole second channel by themselves, it seems unlikely the coverage will remain like it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Eir are losing BT alright:

https://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

Now that doesn’t mean eir Vision (as opposed to broadband only) customers won’t still be able to subscribe to BT Sport, but eir won’t be in charge of wholesaling it in Ireland, Sky will, and eir and Sky will have to do a new wholesale deal for it (which they may). Either way it won’t be part of the eir Sport pack any more.

As for Premier Sports, it’s likely that either the version of Premier Sports made available in Ireland won’t carry Pro14 at all, or it will be blocked. But I can’t see eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 being the same channel any more, there will be too many differences now. Anything they didn’t buy together will be going to Premier in the “divorce” (which has been a while coming, Michael O’Rourke’s role with eir Sport ended about a year ago, and a parting of the ways seems to have been always envisaged but delayed for some reason).

icdg wrote: »
    Eir are losing BT alright:

https://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

Now that doesn’t mean eir Vision (as opposed to broadband only) customers won’t still be able to subscribe to BT Sport, but eir won’t be in charge of wholesaling it in Ireland, Sky will, and eir and Sky will have to do a new wholesale deal for it (which they may). Either way it won’t be part of the eir Sport pack any more.

As for Premier Sports, it’s likely that either the version of Premier Sports made available in Ireland won’t carry Pro14 at all, or it will be blocked. But I can’t see eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 being the same channel any more, there will be too many differences now. Anything they didn’t buy together will be going to Premier in the “divorce” (which has been a while coming, Michael O’Rourke’s role with eir Sport ended about a year ago, and a parting of the ways seems to have been always envisaged but delayed for some reason).

So does that mean a reduction in Pro14 on Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's looking more and more like the most consistent revenue source in tv are license fees. People can cancel satellite/digital subscriptions for VOD services, and people will buy and drop various VOD services over time, but as long as they're watching content on a TV they need a license.

I wonder what sort of hit the Pro14s revenues would takeif they just went FTA. And how that hit offsets against the long term stability of the income stream, the good will generated by existing fans and, in my eyes most importantly, the dissemination of the product to new fans.

You have to remember a huge amount of games are on fta already between tg4, s4c and freesports. Tg4 have a lot of games.

My biggest gripe about eir is the lack of all games on eir. Plus unless you subscribe to pay tv you have to watch some games in fuzzy vision on tg4 sd on saorview.

For me I am hoping the BT stuff will go onto Now tv as at least then you can watch the Champions League and Champions Cup rugby.
    At least with Now tv you don't have to pay for the basic package before you access the sports content, unlike the satellite platform.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

awec wrote: »
    So does that mean a reduction in Pro14 on Eir?

No, not at all. Even if their falling out with Setanta is such that they will no longer take Premier Sports pre and post game coverage, they’ll still have access to all games on a “world feed” basis. But it actually shouldn’t mean any changes at all - if anything the fact that Eir Sport 2 will be a separate channel to Premier Sports 1 gives them more flexibility., and it would be beneficial to both to continue to share coverage.

One thing rugby related that might be impacted though - there is some suggestion that the Leinster Senior Schools Cup rights now actually reside with Premier rather than eir.

Advertisement