Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling treatment by Aer Lingus at Lisbon Airport

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

most Aer Lingus flights within the eu are represented by partner air lines

Aer Lingus has one partner airline in the EU, namely BA. BA don't "represent" them anywhere.

Most of the flights are ground handled by Menzies, there are other firms and they use Iberia Handling in Spain (who despite sharing an owner, are not a partner airline) and formerly KLM in Amsterdam when they codeshared - this may have given an impression they use partner airlines.

Aer Lingus only do their own ground handling in Ireland (and not everywhere) and all the ground handlers take the approach that you are the airlines customer, not theirs. Which is true but poor customer service. You need to be politely forceful and also willing to run up bills for reclaim - hence travel insurance is still a must despite EU261.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

L1011 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus has one partner airline in the EU, namely BA. BA don't "represent" them anywhere.

Most of the flights are ground handled by Menzies, there are other firms and they use Iberia Handling in Spain (who despite sharing an owner, are not a partner airline) and formerly KLM in Amsterdam when they codeshared - this may have given an impression they use partner airlines.

Aer Lingus only do their own ground handling in Ireland (and not everywhere) and all the ground handlers take the approach that you are the airlines customer, not theirs. Which is true but poor customer service. You need to be politely forceful and also willing to run up bills for reclaim - hence travel insurance is still a must despite EU261.

Where do Stobart Air come in ? Just curious tbh - fly them little Jimbo planes a few times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

EU261 is the cost of the airlines doing business in the EU, if they don't like that they can get out of the business.

Regardless if I paid 1 euro or 300 euro for the flight I expect nothing more than my full rights.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where do Stobart Air come in ? Just curious tbh - fly them little Jimbo planes a few times!

The usually have to use the same checkin/customer service agent as Aer Lingus at the same airport for practical reasons, but possibly not the same baggage handler; at airports where only they operate and not mainline its up to them (Leeds, Newcastle etc). Other elements of handling don't usually interface with the passenger although they can still impact them, e.g. nobody to bring an aircraft on stand.

(edit: thought I was in 'my' other forum, unlikely to get a response to this here) I think - someone correct me if wrong - that they use Sky Handling for bags in Dublin? And used them for check-in when they were in T1 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Firstly I have never been in such a kip of a disorganized airport as Lisbon. I detest the place. Secondly you are entitled to compensation. Ask for the MAXIMUM allowed and say you would in fact like something additional for the distress caused by EI lack of support and professionalism. If they don't cough it up, open a case in small claims court. Open more than one if there were multiple passengers. They will settle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement