Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

I have planted some flower plants that the birds like, hope it can attract more birds into my garden. I also buy some feeders and seeds for giving the bird place to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

20201101-131259.jpg
    20201028-164318.jpg
    20201028-164333.jpg
    When do you lot call it a day with tomatoes? Mine seem to be growing strong and fruiting and flowering.

20201031-132212.jpg
    20201031-134143.jpg

Harvested the last of the weird size carrots. Took forever to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

iamtony wrote: »
    When do you lot call it a day with tomatoes? Mine seem to be growing strong and fruiting and flowering.

When they stop! :D Mine are always an outdoor crop, so the sub-10°C nights tend to put bring the season to a close, earlier or later depending on the year. All done for this year thanks to a few very cold nights quite early in October.

If I know the cold nights are coming, I'll pick whatever's left and give the green ones a chance to ripen indoors. If I don't hear the forecast, or if I'm away and can't do anything about it, I'll leave things as they are and see if the remaining fruit survives.

When they stop! :D Mine are always an outdoor crop, so the sub-10°C nights tend to put bring the season to a close, earlier or later depending on the year. All done for this year thanks to a few very cold nights quite early in October.

If I know the cold nights are coming, I'll pick whatever's left and give the green ones a chance to ripen indoors. If I don't hear the forecast, or if I'm away and can't do anything about it, I'll leave things as they are and see if the remaining fruit survives.
    thanks. I cleared away alot of the smaller plants and left 2 or 3. I'm toying with heating the greenhouse with hot compost so I kinda needed the space.
    20201101-135023.jpg this plant in particular is very strong growing from the seed of last years crop by accident and left alone. Interesting without being tied up it tried to put down roots up the stem.

• Advertisement

Interesting without being tied up it tried to put down roots up the stem.

They do that. Sometimes, if I've lost a plant or two due for whatever reason, I'll look for an unpruned one that's put down extra "stem" roots and move cut stem to use as a replacement. It's quite remarkable how well they adjust to such trauma, especially compare to some other plants that go hysterical if you so much as brush past them with the wrong colour trousers on! :D

They do that. Sometimes, if I've lost a plant or two due for whatever reason, I'll look for an unpruned one that's put down extra "stem" roots and move cut stem to use as a replacement. It's quite remarkable how well they adjust to such trauma, especially compare to some other plants that go hysterical if you so much as brush past them with the wrong colour trousers on! :D

Yes it's crazy alright. One thing it has thought me is to definitely plant into the ground in the greenhouse for next year this thing is much thicker and healthier and grew so fast compared to the potted ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

20201031-132212.jpg
    20201031-134143.jpg

Harvested the last of the weird size carrots. Took forever to grow.

I thought it was just me. Every single one of mine were like that. Tiny. I've just used them for roasting after a wash. They taste delicious.
    Planted some garlic bulbs today.

I thought it was just me. Every single one of mine were like that. Tiny. I've just used them for roasting after a wash. They taste delicious.
    Planted some garlic bulbs today.
    i was blaming the veg trug style raised planter I grew them in maybe its not just me so. They should be grand after a wash sure they were just grown in fresh compost. Did you get any white ones full of roots? I got a few and they actually looked like parsnips.
    The goodness of a carrot is in the outer layer apparently so better for you not to peel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Green tomato chutney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And green tomato jam... yum!

I've been watching videos on canning and was thinking of pickling green ones. A Romanian friend promises me they are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Did you get any white ones full of roots? I got a few and they actually looked like parsnips.
    You'd normally get a few but you shouldn't get many with seed you've bought. It's a cross pollination with a wild flower that's related to carrots. You'd usually spot them when thinning carrots as the leaves will be different at that stage.
    Any idea what variety you showed? I grew carrots in large planters with the kids this year. Will try take a photo tomorrow.

You'd normally get a few but you shouldn't get many with seed you've bought. It's a cross pollination with a wild flower that's related to carrots. You'd usually spot them when thinning carrots as the leaves will be different at that stage.
    Any idea what variety you showed? I grew carrots in large planters with the kids this year. Will try take a photo tomorrow.
    Ill check the variety tomorrow I think i saved the packets this year. Weird lookin things.

Ill check the variety tomorrow I think i saved the packets this year. Weird lookin things.

Here's photos of 1st & 2nd crop of container grown carrots. 1st batch were sown in March, and photo is from July (that's a side plate for scale. And yes, the kids ate them raw!). They grew a bit bigger than this, but were being constantly eaten as they were right outside the door.

2nd batch were planted early August, and this is the last of them picked today. They're a lot smaller than the first batch. Even had a few of the 'white' ones when I picked them. They were grown in old planters that were lying around, about 18 inches deep. Mixture of compost & sand.

Of course I can't find the seed packet now to know what variety they were.

Photos aren't working for me unfortunately I can't see anything.

Photos aren't working for me unfortunately I can't see anything.
    My fat fingers - I did something wrong adding them. I've edited now and added as attachments.

Here's photos of 1st & 2nd crop of container grown carrots. 1st batch were sown in March, and photo is from July (that's a side plate for scale. And yes, the kids ate them raw!). They grew a bit bigger than this, but were being constantly eaten as they were right outside the door.

2nd batch were planted early August, and this is the last of them picked today. They're a lot smaller than the first batch. Even had a few of the 'white' ones when I picked them. They were grown in old planters that were lying around, about 18 inches deep. Mixture of compost & sand.

Of course I can't find the seed packet now to know what variety they were.

They grew better than mine anyway. I just had a load of mine in a nice stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ordered more seeds. This time from tamar organics and got some taunton Dean kale cuttings. It's a perennial that only grows this way.

Found a few UK suppliers saying no more EU ordered after 1 December so order now for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ordered more seeds. This time from tamar organics and got some taunton Dean kale cuttings. It's a perennial that only grows this way.

Found a few UK suppliers saying no more EU ordered after 1 December so order now for next year

Interesting about no shipping to eu. I hope it’s not a sign of things to come. A real disaster for both sides IMO

• Advertisement

Interesting about no shipping to eu. I hope it’s not a sign of things to come. A real disaster for both sides IMO

Hence why ive probably 2 years supply of seeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

You could try delivery through Address Pal with an Post as a work around. I’ve done it a few times when the the delivery cost for seeds from the Uk was too expensive. You’re given a Uk address and then an Post ships it across, delivery usually cost me around €3ish

Interesting about no shipping to eu. I hope it’s not a sign of things to come.
    You could try delivery through Address Pal with an Post as a work around. I’ve done it a few times when the the delivery cost for seeds from the Uk was too expensive. You’re given a Uk address and then an Post ships it across

Address Pal won't work in this case, and yes, it is unequivocally a sign of things to come. As things stand at the moment, the UK has refused to apply to the EU to be recognised as a "listed third country". This means that all imports of plants, animals and derivatives thereof must be checked at a phytosanitary inspection point. This is one of the EU's absolutely unbreakable rules - even wooden pallets coming from the UK have to be certified as "healthy" before they can have a pile of boxes stacked on them and be loaded onto a lorry.

Unless the UK government gets its act together, every single British supplier of seeds, cuttings, bulbs, etc., will have to firstly find an EU-lab to certify their product likely to be exported after 1st January (bearing in mind that every UK lab will lose their approved status on 31st December) and complete reams of paperwork to send with each delivery. That's a separate cert for your tulip bulbs, your lilies, your pack of seeds, your tray of primoses, the three bare-root roses, even if these are all sent in the same package.

Address Pal (or Parcel Motel) will have to ensure that all this paperwork is present and correct before taking charge of the package, which (if the rules are followed correctly) will then be delivered to a phytosanitary inspection point in Ireland. Once processed there, you'll be free to arrange onward delivery.

The same applies to buying pups, goldfish, chickens, eggs, bees, beef, honey, fish, milk, cheese ... ... ...

They may yet get sense, over the water, but there's not much sign of it yet. I had intended to do a cross-Channel run to Kent next month to collect a load of plants from the former MrsCR before all this stupidity comes into effect, but it looks like lockdown has put an end to that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

Last year some of my seed potatoes from FruitHillFarm originated in Scotland so Brexit will probably put a stop to them. :(

Apparently Scotland is a major exporter of potatoes and they are well hacked off with the situation. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/02/chips-are-down-brexit-uncertainty-causing-scottish-potato-crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

Just renewed my membership of Irish Seed Savers and I'm looking forward to getting their seed catalogue in the post.

I had a go at saving some seed myself this year and had some success (I hope) with perpetual spinach, february orchid, parsley, salsify, runner beans and some herbs (parsley, dill, chervil). I'm going to use some of my own potatoes as seed next year and see how I get on.

Got my seed delivery from tamar organics today via PW.
    Ordered them on Thursday morning. Impressive service.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭old_house

Just one more video from yesterday. The hedgehog is busy building his nest for the winter under the keen eyes of our resident fox (click image for video).
    The house was a great idea :)

532128.jpg

old_house wrote: »
    Just one more video from yesterday. The hedgehog is busy building his nest for the winter under the keen eyes of our resident fox (click image for video).
    The house was a great idea :)

532128.jpg
    very cool house:) we have had hedgehogs visit our garden regularly and one year have babies in our hedge
    They Come every year and are always a welcome site.
    I'm in Dublin so it's rare enough to have them around.
    All of a sudden I wasn't seeing them any more. A while later one of the kids on the road that only moved in said they had a pet hedgehog they caught and put out there back garden. I couldn't believe it. Somehow the hedgehog escaped thank god and I've seen it since.
    Some clowns out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had been hoping to get the garlic planted tomorrow, but looks like the soil will be too wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Large pack of trees, shrubs and plants just arrived this evening from Future Forests! A great unpacking will happen tomorrow!

Advertisement