Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New from Australia - insurance is crazy expensive

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I guess if car insurance is crazy, bike insurance would be worse.
    Try to see if any insurer will accept no-claims from Australia, but I don't know if they do.
    Do you want to stay permanently? Get an Irish license. I don't know if you can swap an Aussie one.
    Be prepared to pay several thousand a year for a tiny 1 liter car. And don't get an old car, insurance companies penalise anything older than 10 years and won't insure anything over 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I have a car and just got going on the bike as a learner with no NCB 30 years old and a 125cc, gonna ring up and see the cost of changing the bike to a 600cc at weekend. It was €331 3rd Party Fire and Theft. The bike is def cheaper, but a tad expensive to get going in the first place (IBT, Theory test, Permit fee).

There's a bike forum and thread with insurance renewals here which might help you get an idea.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107334452#post107334452

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

My first year on a 600cc bike, first learner permit was €500, my current premium is less than 300

My friend same age as me (35) in a 2006 ford focus, learner permit, €3500, he eventually got it for 1700

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Insurance in this country is an absolute joke.

In Australia my car was a 5.7 litre V8 high performance sports car with a value of $10,500, my insurance was $900 per year for Fully Comprehensive. Today I just got a quote of €1,500 for a 1.9 litre car worth €1,000. They won't include my no-claims bonus from Ireland in 2008- 2011 before I left for Australia, only 3 years no-claims in Australia(which they accept but need proof in written form from my Australian Insurance company).

I've been driving legally for 10 years, having never made a claim, but they can only include 3 years experience as part of my quote, 3 years in Australia I didn't have insurance as it's not a requirement (3rd party is built into vehicle registration), but they won't accept those 3 years.

How can these crazy prizes be justified? How can bigger countries with bigger size cars charge less?

It seems to me the whole system is designed just so the Insurance companies can extort the Irish people as Insurance is a requirement. Living abroad has really opened my eyes as to how much this country screws you over when it comes to driving. You pay car tax, you pay for NCT, you pay for Insurance and you get taxed on fuel. I can completely understand why people risk driving without insurance in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I went from $300 a year fully comp (not including rego which was another $600 to be fair) to €2,000 a year in the exact same car (but if you're going to include rego for Aus you have to include motor tax here which is another €220).

Kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Did you not transfer your Irish NCB to Aus when you went there? thereby adding to it for 3 years and returning with 6yrs?

I moved from Aus 8yrs ago and at the time only had a bike.
    I bought a car here, and transferred my Aus bike NCB to my car insurance. But then when my bike arrived from Aus I had already used the NCB on the car so couldn't apply it to my bike insurance.

Also be wary of letting your NCB expire by not insuring a vehicle for more than 2 years. For some reason they reckon you go back to the same risk as a brand new driver by reducing the NCB to 0.

an option to consider might be being a named driver on someone else policy...
    I'd say though, for any insurance in this country, prepare to bend over.
    They really are are cartel that are out of control and seem to be able to raise prices without retribution or valid reason.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

ArrBee wrote: »
    Did you not transfer your Irish NCB to Aus when you went there? thereby adding to it for 3 years and returning with 6yrs?

No because for the first 3 years in Australia I had no insurance because I only had a cheap car, so when I got insurance in Australia my Irish NCB had already expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It seems to me the whole system is designed just so the Insurance companies can extort the Irish people as Insurance is a requirement. Living abroad has really opened my eyes as to how much this country screws you over when it comes to driving. You pay car tax, you pay for NCT, you pay for Insurance and you get taxed on fuel. I can completely understand why people risk driving without insurance in this country.

It is a legal requirement in all other EU countries and the exact same insurers charge less in those places because it appears that, if you live in Ireland, something in the water weakens your neck muscles. This applies to those born here and those who choose to come from abroad

Advertisement