Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hens - on concrete or cattle mat

• 20-06-2018 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Converting an old stable into a hen house, 4' X 6' x8' foot high. Concrete floor and walls on 3 sides (with window on back wall). Front wall will be set back from any bad weather, and made of wood and chicken wire, and we plan to put an automatic door in.

Inside we plan to have a wooden coop and egg box, but should we leave the main floor concrete or put something down? We have cow mats that are not being used. Just thinking in terms of what's easiest for deep cleaning?

Only planning to start with 3 hens, and see how it goes, it's only for enjoyment so I don't think we will have more than ten, id love some rescues, a few ducks, etc.

Any ideas or resources people can point to would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd go for the mat over concrete.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

With 3 to 10 hens in a space that size, deep-cleaning won't be an issue.
    Set up some perches for your hens to roost on (though some rescue hens never learn to perch), and a dusting of compost or hardwood chips on the floor, and a very brief daily poop-collection will keep the place good and clean. No need for cow mats at all, in my opinion... Though if you decide to keep ducks, they might enjoy having one to lie on :) I don't have ducks, but my geese seriously gravitate towards anything like that to lie on!
    I'd suggest you creosote perches and timbers that the birds might be in contact with, before you get your birds. It helps keep red mite at bay, along with a dusting of diatomaceous earth or lime every week or two in the summer months. They're a flippin scourge if they get a foothold.
    Good luck with your new birds op... Keeping them is a bit addictive. Don't be too surprised if you've a lot more than planned in a year or two :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Second all DBB said, once they learn to perch, it'll dropping only to clean, I use dust free chips and clean out daily, only few mins per day, Keeping them is bit addictive! i started with six girls, now have 10 :o , you'll have great fun with them, if you spend time at the start getting to know them, enjoy and let us know if you need any more information :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

DBB is spot on - I ended up with red mites, and they're a disaster to get rid of and really upset the birds. Getting yourself set up properly and dusting with lime or another treatment regularly is key to a happy life ...... for your birds and you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'd recommend going straight for 10 hens when you get them. I got 10 rescue hens back in August and the poor things were nervous wrecks that was almost oven ready as they had few feathers and had very pale combs and wattles.

Within a few weeks their combs and wattles are now red or almost fully red, their feathers have grown, they're no longer nervous and love when they're let out in the mornings and spend their days rooting around the soil, some have dust baths, some perch on the various things I've put in their run.

I got my rescue hens from Little Hill http://littlehillanimalrescue.ie/

I'm currently getting 8 or 9 eggs a day so they pay for themselves. It's lovely to see how much they're enjoying their freedom now. They're entertaining and you can see the different personalities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement