Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell & Back runners for wet/mucky conditions

Options
  • 15-06-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭

I'm running Hell & Back tomorrow for the first time and I have two options out of what I have to wear for the run. The first is an astro runner, leathery material and decent rubber grips for the conditions.

The 2nd are an old pair of Nike Xccelerate runners, but they lack grip.

Which would be better of the two?

I was full sure I'd use the astro runners but now thinking of how the conditions will fare on the material has me thinking again.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Astros, if the others have no grip, go with the Astros.

Also, tie a runners knot so you don't lose them in the swamps :)

I done one in a pair of runners that had a good few KM's on them, the grip had worn a bit. I was sliding all over the place for the early part of the course which was a good section for running. The rest of my group went ahead and I was left behind skiing.

Grip is the most important part of the footwear you wear, they are going to be soaked and muddy everywhere else.

also, wear underarmour, non cotton clothes (they just get wet and heavy) and I'd recommend gloves. H&B sell a pair for about a tenner onsite which are great.

Oh yeah, have a blast, I'm a little jealous as I'm not doing it this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cheers! My main concern was with the material of the astro runner and how water would affect it for running with, but that inspires a bit more confidence in me now.

I'm all set with under armour, non cotton materials etc. I'm wincing at the thought of the ice bath alone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You wont feel your feet after a while, the material doesn't matter :)
    Just make sure they are well tied on. You'll see alot of folk finishing missing a runner.

The ice baths are grand, once you are standing in it you don't have a chance to think about it as you are being herded along.

If you've looked at the FB page, they've put up images of some new obstacles, they look pretty cool.

The worst part is sniper alley.
    Or the electric shocks.

Drink a can of coke afterwards as well, it apparently stops you getting Weils Disease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You wont feel your feet after a while, the material doesn't matter :)
    Just make sure they are well tied on. You'll see alot of folk finishing missing a runner.

The ice baths are grand, once you are standing in it you don't have a chance to think about it as you are being herded along.

If you've looked at the FB page, they've put up images of some new obstacles, they look pretty cool.

The worst part is sniper alley.
    Or the electric shocks.

Drink a can of coke afterwards as well, it apparently stops you getting Weils Disease :)

No snipers or electric shocks this year strangely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

budgemook wrote: »

Yeah I was dreading those parts and was very surprised that they weren’t there.

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    now I regret not doing it even more!

Advertisement