Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips Hue and IKEA Tradfri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just the bulbs are as far as I know. Have one ikea bulb with my hue set. Firstly it was a pain to set up! I had to have the hue hub and the ikea bulb right up to it wouldn’t work being 6 or 7 ft away, it then took several goes to get it to pair. It then randomly flashes when on which other users have said happens to them too. I’ll eventually replace it with another hue bulb in the next few months

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I had two Ikea bulbs €7 GU10's working with Hue.

I found them to be poor compared to my Hue bulbs, I had various issues and in the end I've replaced both with Hue bulbs that have worked perfect since.

The Ikea stuff might be slightly cheaper, but it definitely isn't as good IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I've just done this. Picked up a Hue starter kit and then bought 3 x GU10s and 1 x E27 from Ikea.

The dimmers do work (youtube videos showing how to add them to Hue hub) however they don't work as well as the Hue dimmers (i.e. they are purely dimmers i.e. on/off and dimming, no scene activation or anything fancy).

The bulbs work very well - my gu10s added straight away with hub in searching mode and flicking the switch on, didn't require a reset of bulb or anything. E27 I reset the bulb before searching to add it so not sure if it would have worked as easily but I'd assume so.

My E27 was batch 1747 and gu10s were 1804 from memory.

I've more interest in dimmer functionality as opposed to light temp or colour (e27s are all in lamps with shades and gu10s are in bathroom) so can't comment on that front but I got exactly what I wanted and expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I just bought an IKEA Surte door panel for a unit I had. My hope was to integrate it into my Hue setup without the need for a separate remote.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/surte-led-light-door-w-wireless-control-dimmable-white-spectrum-art-80316086/

It seems to be possible but nothing I've tried has recognised this new 'bulb'.
    I'm thinking it may need the IKEA gateway so that I can update the firmware and then add to my Hue hub. I don't want another IKEA trip and to spend €30 to update the firmware. Would anyone have a loan or be willing to add to their gateway to check/update the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

stesaurus wrote: »
    I just bought an IKEA Surte door panel for a unit I had. My hope was to integrate it into my Hue setup without the need for a separate remote.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/surte-led-light-door-w-wireless-control-dimmable-white-spectrum-art-80316086/

I'm thinking it may need the IKEA gateway so that I can update the firmware and then add to my Hue hub. I don't want another IKEA trip and to spend €30 to update the firmware. Would anyone have a loan or be willing to add to their gateway to check/update the firmware?

Whereabouts are you? If you are close enough to Drogheda, I'd have no issue with you pairing up to my gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

stesaurus wrote:
    It seems to be possible but nothing I've tried has recognised this new 'bulb'. I'm thinking it may need the IKEA gateway so that I can update the firmware and then add to my Hue hub. I don't want another IKEA trip and to spend €30 to update the firmware. Would anyone have a loan or be willing to add to their gateway to check/update the firmware?

Try the hue essentials app. It simulated the hue bridge, gave me the link button on my phone

It worked for me,

R.O.R wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you? If you are close enough to Drogheda, I'd have no issue with you pairing up to my gateway.

Thanks for the offer but I'm down in Wexford so too long a spin really.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Stoner wrote: »
    Try the hue essentials app. It simulated the hue bridge, gave me the link button on my phone

It worked for me,

Also good is the Hue Lights app - paired my IKEA bulbs with the bridge straight away!

It worked for me,

Tried this and something is clearly going on as when you press the touch link button it starts to pulse but no pairing unfortunately.

It's also not as easy as bringing a lamp to where my Hue hub is either. I have to screw off the entire door/wiring and bring it all to the Hub :D

Also good is the Hue Lights app - paired my IKEA bulbs with the bridge straight away!

I'm android, don't think it's available :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

R.O.R wrote: »

I am also in Drogheda and have an Ikea gateway, though not much good to you if you are in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,813 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It worked for me,

I'd an IKEA Tradfi I bought ages ago that I could never get to link. Essentials app (on Android) worked first time!!

Ok so a quick follow up on this. I found a Gateway on Adverts for €15 so I took a punt. Updated the firmware this morning and all good, recognized the door panel with Hue.

Firmware was originally 1.1.1.1 on the panel so obviously not as much turnaround with these as the bulbs so anyone buying will likely need to update their firmware.

So I now have an IKEA Gateway and Remote that I don't need. :D

Anyone need help with updating firmware I'm happy to loan my Gateway.

Another handy bonus that works. The Tradfri remotes can be linked to your Hue/Ikea bulbs also. Might be a cheaper alternative to the Hue dimmer switch. €18 for Tradfri remote or £20 for the Hue Dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I had to move and gave my mother the Philips HUE setup. I am slowly buying tradfri bulbs to use with my Smartthings hub as I found a good device handler for them. Seems to be good. I have a generic motion sensor and bulb linked on a smart app in the ST, only problem is no luminaries checking

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Another handy bonus that works. The Tradfri remotes can be linked to your Hue/Ikea bulbs also. Might be a cheaper alternative to the Hue dimmer switch. €18 for Tradfri remote or £20 for the Hue Dimmer.

Though it should be noted that doing this you lose out on the programmability and flexibility of the Hue Dimmer. A Hue dimmer switch hooked up to Hue hub can be programmed to do pretty much anything you want. Each button can be programmed with 1, 2, 3 or 4 button presses + hold to control anything you have connected to you Hue Hub.

You lose that with the Ikea switch (though I do really like the design of it, very clever IMO), but for the sake of the €3 to €4 difference I'd stick with the Hue ones.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

stesaurus wrote:
    I'm android, don't think it's available

stesaurus wrote:
    I'm android, don't think it's available

I made an error in my post.

The hue essential app simulated the Ikea hub for me, or the Ikea remote. Not the hue hub as obviously I had that.

It worked straight away for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Anyone have issue with their IKEA Tradfri lights randomly flashing when off?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone have issue with their IKEA Tradfri lights randomly flashing when off?

1 bulb was doing that but its stopped since. I only put mine in last weekend so all brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Hi all, Just bought some Ikea TRÅDFRI bulbs, do I need an Ikea Gateway to get them to work with my Philips Hue? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi all, Just bought some Ikea TRÅDFRI bulbs, do I need an Ikea Gateway to get them to work with my Philips Hue? Thanks.

No, not if you already have a Philips Hue Bridge, they can be synced with that.

bk wrote: »
    No, not if you already have a Philips Hue Bridge, they can be synced with that.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it just a case of retrying until they sync or is there a knack? Tried a load of times to search for new bulbs but no joy. Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it just a case of retrying until they sync or is there a knack? Tried a load of times to search for new bulbs but no joy. Any tips or advice appreciated. Thanks again.

I synced mine using the touchlink in the hue essentials app, it can be a bit tricky...I had to plug in hub in kitchen using powerline adaptor and hold hub up to each spot light...they're only ok,I'd prefer the hue gu10s

A320 wrote: »
    I synced mine using the touchlink in the hue essentials app, it can be a bit tricky...I had to plug in hub in kitchen using powerline adaptor and hold hub up to each spot light...they're only ok,I'd prefer the hue gu10s

Got sorted, thanks a million for the help. The touchlink worked a treat. Really appreciate the quick reply. Couldn’t find hue essentials in the App Store......... took a few mins to think of google play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has anyone had any experience of using the ikea alternative to hue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057881710

Thread here about them.

I've bought some GU10s but haven't got my kitchen working finished yet to try them out!

Mod edit: Threads now merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

I've been using them as my main lights in the kitchen and hallways for a year now.

Good light and the remote dimmer control is very good. Everyone in the house is happy to use them. I have the tradfri hub as well for remote use and timers, but for simple use the remotes are fine. The remote controls colour temperature too, but has limited effect on their colour bulbs. You really need the hub if you're using colour and it's required for voice control with Google Home or Alexa.

I also have Philips Hue bulbs for lightstrips, and a pair of yeelights in the sitting room. They all work well, and the Hue bulbs are the most versatile. The IKEA ones are better value though.

Trying to pair IKEA bulbs to an existing Philips Hue hub is possible, but the bulbs tended to flash once every couple of hours when I did it - I think @bk had a similar experience.
    That was a little annoying, but I put my IKEA bulbs back on the Tradfri (Ikea) hub mainly because I wanted the remote back and it didn't pair with the Hue system. They've worked flawlessly since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The GU10 bulbs are about to be replaced with a revised version it seems, so if you want those I'd hold off. There's also a new motion sensor coming apparently, the current one has some issues to say the least - still trying to find the best location for it.

I have the whole house done now more or less. The basic wheel controllers are awful so avoid entirely. One bulb is very unreliable at noticing power on commands, need to return it - it also took about twenty goes to pair.

Stock levels in Dublin are very poor usually which is an issue if you want to do the house in one go; or live far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

L1011 wrote: »
    The basic wheel controllers are awful so avoid entirely. One bulb is very unreliable at noticing power on commands, need to return it - it also took about twenty goes to pair.

Absolutely agree with all of that. I have a basic wheel controller and I thought I had broken it on day one checking the battery and reset button. Because of that I never used it much.
    It's handy to have a controller you don't use though as you can bring it to new bulbs to pair them to your hub. Much handier than having to move the hub itself and keeps your main controller only running the bulbs you want it to.

Unreliable at power and also at pairing sounds like a problem with the antenna.
    Maybe post up here if they change it for you without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I have a bunch of their GU10's in the kitchen and hallway - paired to a Hue hub. Very happy with them, though pairing them initially was frustrating in the extreme, though we got there in the end. I do not have a Tradfri hub and dont need one at this point.

I bought the 15 euro ones, so i can change the white ambience etc from warm to sheet white, i find the light from them is really good, and voice commands to turn them on/off, dim them, change colours etc all works fine with Google Home. Once they were paired to the Hue hub, they operate exactly as Hue bulbs do, i dont see any difference.

As L1011 says, there is a newer version coming soon, so i have held off buying more.

Advertisement