Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hector : Wind Warning :Weds 13 PM to Thurs 14th AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good reporting by sryanbruen there, I had a look at that 1962 storm and it appeared to peak around midnight 23-24 June so the two days had similar max gusts. And if that's the strongest wind ever in June, it's worth noting that the maps never show as strong a gradient as the current prog charts for late tonight, nor do they show as low a central pressure (it is always above 995 mbs) on those 1962 maps although perhaps a lack of precision from less marine data? Although the way UK buoys have been going, perhaps they had more marine data in 1962. :)

19z (20h) M6 buoy reporting winds SW 30 knots gusting to 51 knots, SLP 990.9 mbs. -- that site will probably see peak gusts next 2-3 hours. Pressure at M4 buoy is now 993.0 mbs.

Peak gusts on land in Connacht around 0400h and west Ulster around 0600h.

Yep! Suddenly heightened soon after 4 am and things started rattling..

Morning all !

Just checking my dish is holding fast; this is the first gale since it was installed.. All OK and the power is all ok too..I think it is stronger as the cables are at the ocean bed. Only ever one small cut here in all these months.

Ferocious gusts here the last half hour or so. Managed to field one of the cats in as they are so well-trained they insist on going out. So I stood with the door open a crack, hanging on to it for dear life, yelling... and in he blew, tumbleweed fashion, long fur ruffling.

A mighty rattling at the back; probably a branch.

This is going to destroy blossom. Watching the elderberry tree being battered now. Ay me!

Less rain that I thought.

OUCH! That was a mighty blast... and rain now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement 40 gusting 55 knots just before 5 am. It woke me up.

METAR EIME 140400Z 24040G55KT 9999 BKN028 SCT220 15/09 Q0996=

Dublin Airport only gusting 42 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Woke around 4.30 and the wind was crazy here, the fence at front of the house was actually shaking, plenty of branches down on the road, worst iv'e heard here in a long time, seems to settled down a bit now, still have power and more importantly no rain apart from 10mins of dribble yesterday evening.

Easing off now so I snuck out to look at the ocean..WOW! Such a sight, great wide waves breaking white in every direction .. and here comes the rain now...

Garden a mess but will see what can be rescued. Did not manage to bring the two chairs in; they are overturned but safe .

Battered plants. ay me...

There is one terrible squeak out there I am going to have to trace at some stage;like chalk on blackboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Garage roofs ratteling, bin lids blowen open, has gone a bit quite just now.

Longing to take the dog out and wind-walk..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Seems very bad in Dublin. Not sure if it's because of the angle of the wind. Lots more stuff blowing away than during Ophelia. Gates banging and just checked the back and my clothes line has managed to hold onto the trampoline!

When is peak expected to hit Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Very wild here. Sunflowers are in tatters but still standing at their stakes. Which is more than I can say for the very large tree which has fallen across my back garden. I hope this storm ends soon. NW

Plus no electricity

• Advertisement

Malayalam wrote: »
    Very wild here. Sunflowers are in tatters but still standing at their stakes. Which is more than I can say for the very large tree which has fallen across my back garden. I hope this storm ends soon. NW

Ah so sorry.. My plants are battered but not had a good look yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I'm down in Dublin 3, not far from Croke Park.

Wind is fierce here, anything left out on balconies has been tossed around by the wind, bloody windows and balcony doors bashing, and a young child refusing to go back to sleep because of the noise.

Times like this I wish I was able to head to work and clock in at 6am lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

antodeco wrote: »
    Seems very bad in Dublin. Not sure if it's because of the angle of the wind. Lots more stuff blowing away than during Ophelia. Gates banging and just checked the back and my clothes line has managed to hold onto the trampoline!

When is peak expected to hit Dublin?

Where in Dublin are you, I'm in Dublin 3 and the last 10 mins have been fierce... Its just suddenly stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Re-roofing the house and am surprised the cover survived with only a few small tears! Could have been a disaster. Lots of debris on roads and a tree down near by.
    Hope it calms down soon
    Delvin, co westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Still going like mad here up North. Started just after 4 and hasn't let up, takes a lot to wake me up. Dreading going out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

Graces7 wrote: »

I feel your pain Graces7:(. Took a little walk before work to suss things out. Rose bushes snapped and destroyed. Oriental poppies in tatters.

Drive into Limerick City from West Limerick was uneventful. Lots of twigs and small branches on the rural roads. Only small amounts of debris on main roads except for some sad looking damage to newly planted tress and shrubs at the roundabouts in Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ok, now it's windy!

The white horses have white horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

No stations exceeded the earlier 61 knot gust at Mace Head at 05 or 06h, but at 0700h Malin Head reported 53 knots and with squally showers on radar could go higher at 0800h. My internet connections with boards and met.ie were both quite slow a few minutes ago, now seem okay again.

Was woken before 4 in Galway by the wind.
    It was pretty wild.
    Neighbours trampoline has gone AWOL.
    Edit: it was just in a another part of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Electricity went at 5am in east Galway for over an hour

Tree down in back garden. First one in the 12 years since we have lived here

But at least we all survived the “drought “ that the nice weather apparently brought ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Was grand just outside Ennis last night. Few flower pots blown over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My station recorded wind gust of 68 mph in Galway around 4am, it was a very noisy night hard to get sleep .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No stations exceeded the earlier 61 knot gust at Mace Head at 05 or 06h, but at 0700h Malin Head reported 53 knots and with squally showers on radar could go higher at 0800h. My internet connections with boards and met.ie were both quite slow a few minutes ago, now seem okay again.

Ballypatrick Forest in Antrim reported 60 knots between 5-6 am.

Storm Wrecktor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No damage in West Clare. Windows are a bit dirty though!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

No power here since before 6. What used people do! Trees down, bins blown over, lots of debris on the roads. Slept through it all. Wasn't expecting it this bad this morning.

North West.

Stand of marguerites down and covering much else and generally battered. Will wait to see how much they recover...

Are your sunflowers OK/? ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Had to drive to Manorhamilton across country from Ballymote at 8 am ......roads were like someone tipped the trees upside down & shook them.....leaves & branches all over the place.
    My lupine & pots were tossed & broken..... but it could have been so much worse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

littlema wrote: »
    Had to drive to Manorhamilton across country from Ballymote at 8 am ......roads were like someone tipped the trees upside down & shook them.....leaves & branches all over the
    Are you ok there? Did you hit a tree? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

No, the shake n my hand made me hit done ..... before I was done!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Stand of marguerites down and covering much else and generally battered. Will wait to see how much they recover...

Are your sunflowers OK/? ish?

Most plants have taken a bashing. Potatoes and onions all prostrate, tree felled and laying down the centre of large beds, a lot of debris, many plants lying down and things generally shook looking. But time may recover most. Still no electricity and WiFi intermittent. It was a bad storm because of the exceptional leafy growth in past month. Could have been worse :)

Advertisement