Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First project bike gsx1400

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

Took it for a spin up to cavan to see how it goes since ill have to commute on it up to there.
    Was pretty good.
    Bit of a bumpy journey with the shocks but hopefully the new ones come soon
    Something up with the front I just can't get my head around. When I pull the front brake it doesn't feel right,nearly like a knocking feeling. It stops ok and I've overhauled the calipers so im not sure where to start looking.
    Poxy indicator switch only wants to work when it feels like so I'll be stripping it to clean it again.
    This bike has alot of power and torque coming from a deauville as my last bike. But how I hate the wind now!!
    Oh and I hate tax discs holders! Found a new one I got for free years ago,it's let in water on 2 tax discs. Thank god I didn't use the original and been using copied ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

honda boi wrote: »
    Took it for a spin up to cavan to see how it goes since ill have to commute on it up to there.
    Was pretty good.
    Bit of a bumpy journey with the shocks but hopefully the new ones come soon
    Something up with the front I just can't get my head around. When I pull the front brake it doesn't feel right,nearly like a knocking feeling. It stops ok and I've overhauled the calipers so im not sure where to start looking.
    Poxy indicator switch only wants to work when it feels like so I'll be stripping it to clean it again.
    This bike has alot of power and torque coming from a deauville as my last bike. But how I hate the wind now!!
    Oh and I hate tax discs holders! Found a new one I got for free years ago,it's let in water on 2 tax discs. Thank god I didn't use the original and been using copied ones!

Are the front discs warped? Would make the brakes feel like they are pulsing. Look at the pads for any signs of damage or uneven wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Deagol wrote: »
    Are the front discs warped? Would make the brakes feel like they are pulsing. Look at the pads for any signs of damage or uneven wear.

Certainly sounds like warping.

Need some of boards wisdom.
    Having an issue with the bikes battery/charging system .
    So I thought the battery was at fault with the bike struggling to start and needing to use my booster pack on it
    But I charged the battery last night. Tested it voltage.all good.
    Stuck it in the bike. Started her up. Waited a minute or 2, voltage at battery was only at about 13.12v ,it should be at 14v.
    I tested the stator.
    Got 0.9ohms between each of the windings, no continuity between earth and the windings.
    I tested the AC voltage out of each winding.
    I am only getting 45v at 5 rpm and if memory serves me correctly I was getting about 15v at idle.
    Now before I struggle to get the rectifier out ,with those readings from the stator would it seem it's fooked.
    Haynes says resistance between the windings is fine but the voltage should be 60v at 5krpm not 45v.
    Another odd thing is when I rev the bike the voltage on the battery drops to around 12.8v from 13.12v

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

R/R is fooked imho

Stators either fail open circuit (infinite resistance) or short to earth (zero resistance).

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

R/R is fooked imho

Stators either fail open circuit (infinite resistance) or short to earth (zero resistance).

Thanks hotblack.
    Tested the r/r and all tests came back 100% according to Haynes manual.
    So I'm confused now but I'm leaning towards a stator because of the 45v instead of 60v is the only fault I have found. But I could be wrong. Don't want to blow money throwing parts at the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭blade1

honda boi wrote: »
    Thanks hotblack.
    Tested the r/r and all tests came back 100% according to Haynes manual.
    So I'm confused now but I'm leaning towards a stator because of the 45v instead of 60v is the only fault I have found. But I could be wrong. Don't want to blow money throwing parts at the bike!

You'll get a fair idea when you look at the stator.
    I wouldn't rule out the battery totally just yet.

Advertisement