Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples from the traveller community sharing Facebook accounts

Options
  • 11-06-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

I've seen this all over Facebook recently. Couples who are members of the traveller community sharing a Facebook account instead of having separate ones? The account name would be in the format Wife/GF X Husband/BF.

What's this about, does anyone know? Are the women not allowed due to lack of trust or is it just a trend within the community?

Beverly Hills, California

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I know a few non-traveller couples who do it, so not exclusive to travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Generally means ones been unfaithful and the other is keeping an eye on them.

Not exclusive to travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Well I know that couples share here and there but I'm talking about a large number of travellers doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I know a few traveller girls. Reason 1-They add so many friends in such a short space of time that Facebook closes their accounts as spammers. One girl went from 3 friends to 4500 in the space of 48 hours and fb closed them. They can't use the same name again so add in the wife/gf/daughter bit.

Reason 2- There are so many with the same name. I personally know 5 Mary Connors's. They have to add in on facebook daughter of/wife/gf of x so that they can distinguish each other.

I do know a few fellas that have the same thing, son of/husband/bf of.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Barbie X Arthur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not sure about their Facebook trends but they tend to do a lovely memorial shrine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The girls I know who have this (Mary Anne X Johnny) are not sharing the account. They do it to highlight who their partner is. The single girls often have a tagline under their name of "Father's Name's Girl's Name" - such as "Paddy's Helen".

I don't find it any stranger than the ubiquitous "Girl's Name *children's names* Surname", like Lisa KaylaJayden Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The girls I know who have this (Mary Anne X Johnny) are not sharing the account. They do it to highlight who their partner is. The single girls often have a tagline under their name of "Father's Name's Girl's Name" - such as "Paddy's Helen".

The bloodline is obviously important .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Putinbot wrote: »
    I know a few traveller girls. Reason 1-They add so many friends in such a short space of time that Facebook closes their accounts as spammers. One girl went from 3 friends to 4500 in the space of 48 hours and fb closed them. They can't use the same name again so add in the wife/gf/daughter bit.

Reason 2- There are so many with the same name. I personally know 5 Mary Connors's. They have to add in on facebook daughter of/wife/gf of x so that they can distinguish each other.

I do know a few fellas that have the same thing, son of/husband/bf of.

You sure know a lot about travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Also a few less than honest social welfare receipients do this. They use their name and their child’s name to avoid being looked up by the social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

riemann wrote: »

I do. Had a Traveller man and his 2 daughters as neighbours for nearly 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

riemann wrote: »

Your mighty observant yourself there riemann.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't find it any stranger than the ubiquitous "Girl's Name *children's names* Surname", like Lisa KaylaJayden Murray.

All of those are feckin' weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A couples facebook profile. Grim.

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Also a few less than honest social welfare receipients do this. They use their name and their child’s name to avoid being looked up by the social welfare

Ah yes, SarahKaydenJaydenMillie-MaeDuffy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Omackeral wrote: »
    A couples facebook profile. Grim.
    It tends to be where women had a page anyhow and got married and added their husband's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It seems odd, but if I was going to critique things they do I wouldn't start with this!

It tends to be where women had a page anyhow and got married and added their husband's name.

Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It happens where one partner doesn't read/write/use social technology but like to keep up to date with events from friends through partner and their social media. No mystery, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Your mighty observant yourself there riemann.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It happens where one partner doesn't read/write/use social technology but like to keep up to date with events from friends through partner and their social media. No mystery, get over it.

Well that's the case closed so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Well that's the case closed so

Didn't know you had actually opened a case on it.....:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Billy86 wrote: »
    All of those are feckin' weird.
    It's pronounced Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This all seems a bit mad to me, but I've heard that two lads in work share a Facebook account with their wives/partners. They're not travellers, just people who want to control their woman. It's all a bit sinister. One of them threatened to kick his wife out (or something similar) if she wasn't back to her normal weight 2 months after giving birth. And he thinks he's a really popular person in work...

I'd go mad if I were on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It's similar to some English women calling themselves "Sarah 'Jason's Mummy' Parker-Smith" type monikers on Facebook.

Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

It's interesting how a sub-culture of male dominance and abuse has seemlessly adapted to utilising social media to propagate their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Maybe they don't have the money for two computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Illiteracy would be common enough in the traveling community, maybe this is a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Sinus pain wrote: »

load of bollocks mate. how would that avoid someone being 'looked up'? their child's name would be known to the dept. for starters.

let me guess, you know a single mother who doesn't work and drives a nice car or has a holiday booked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BuboBubo wrote: »
    It's similar to some English women calling themselves "Sarah 'Jason's Mummy' Parker-Smith" type monikers on Facebook.

Daft.

Is that not for school Facebook groups? Easier identify people when you don't know the parents or the kids' surnames that well.

Advertisement