Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referee abuse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

I wouldnt say linesmen but qualified referees. Basketball is played on relatively small court and pace of game required the multiple officials. Very different circumstances to hurling or gaelic.

Yes its the refs job to facilitate a safe/enjoyable game but you cant have a set up like you suggest. I disagree about having 5 seconds for an advantage. I would have for football anyway, hurling should be different, an advantage rule a bit more like rugby's where advantage can go for a long enough period if no genuine advantage can be gained.

This is the rule as it stands 5 seconds and is about right as there is no replay to look at as in other sports.

I havent just rewritten your post. Its quite different. I think how the black card has been allowed mutate into something it shouldnt but needs to be kept and if you take it away you need to replace it because going back to tick, yellow, red would be a very bad mistake.

This was aimed at me.

That doesnt do anyone any good. Statements like a ref should "never ref another game". Who does that benefit? Everyone is entitled to a bad day. Saying things like a ref robbed a team is nonsense. A ref is never responsible for a team not being able to score enough or anything like that.

Not quite true, a ref can really determine a close game if you have a accurate free taker. I have often being pulling my hair out at some decisions. A small push in the back blow straight away. Arm around the neck stopping forward motion while another player holds the hand the ball is in, ref waits for a short while and calls it over carrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dzer2 wrote: »
    Not quite true, a ref can really determine a close game if you have a accurate free taker. I have often being pulling my hair out at some decisions. A small push in the back blow straight away. Arm around the neck stopping forward motion while another player holds the hand the ball is in, ref waits for a short while and calls it over carrying.
    A good free taker still doesnt mean a referee determines a game. You will always have situation that some people are upset at a refs decisions. Nothing ever will or can happen for that to change.
    And what was aimed at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You replied to a post I had above quoting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

dzer2 wrote: »
    A good free taker still doesnt mean a referee determines a game. You will always have situation that some people are upset at a refs decisions. Nothing ever will or can happen for that to change.

Yeah but if you don't give the free, the free taker is nullified. In the 2009 final kk got 8 frees in whole game compared to 19 to tipp. KK scored all their frees including the one that led to the sending off. Tipp got 12 frees that a free taker would tap over. Half of KKs frees came after the sending off. I always am amazed that a real tight marking defence could only give away 3 frees in 60 mins of hurling. This is where I said a free in the first minute is a free in the last minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Try telling Louth supporters that “saying a ref robbed a team is nonsense”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

No other sport has referees as consistently bad. Each has a drastically different interpretation to the next guy.

Monaghan will feel like the referee played a defining role in their defeat, and that is something that happens far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Mokuba wrote: »
    No other sport has referees as consistently bad. Each has a drastically different interpretation to the next guy.

Monaghan will feel like the referee played a defining role in their defeat, and that is something that happens far too often.

Yep monaghan supporters been on every platform blaming the ref.

Bull****!!

He had a reasonable game. Seemed pretty fair.

Dunno why he gave no black cards but seems to happen at business end every year.

Both teams were play acting and looking for frees.

Monaghan would want to take their chances when they get them. Also when playing tyrone a bit is their fault.

Easy to blame ref over one particular play (the last one). Beggan should not have been shooting either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yep monaghan supporters been on every platform blaming the ref.

Bull****!!

He had a reasonable game. Seemed pretty fair.

Dunno why he gave no black cards but seems to happen at business end every year.

Both teams were play acting and looking for frees.

Monaghan would want to take their chances when they get them. Also when playing tyrone a bit is their fault.

Easy to blame ref over one particular play (the last one). Beggan should not have been shooting either

Ok granted some decisions are seriously bad but the first thing that has to be stamped out in my opinion is the play acting injuries by some players . Noticed it in the Donegal Tyrone game last week .we don't want this sport turning into an acting farce like some of the games we seen in the world cup this year

Advertisement