Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercounty managers

Options
  • 10-06-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

Just want to see what people think about this.

Colin Kelly is the latest manager to leave his post after one season. He's come out with the usual five-hour commute for training was a major factor in his decision and somewhat oddly IMO his children playing other sports.

Surely he knew going into the job how long the commute would be? Also that his children would be playing other sports?

The question i have should be made harder for managers to just resign? They would have made a commitment for X number of years so should something be put in place if they leave before that? Now i know there can be other reasons and that;s fair enough, but when it's always the line about travel etc is it not be that easy?

Another example being Eamonn Kelly when he was with Offaly. Stepped down saying he wasn't able to commit etc and maybe 2 weeks later he's the Laois manager. It's quite common in hurling for teams like Kerry, Laois etc to have fellas, mostly outsiders, come in and leave again after a few weeks.

In this case i know Kelly has said for Westmeath to go with a local manager this time around, but there's a lot of fellas making a nice bit of money for themselves for doing very little and leaving a the drop of a hat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

cms88 wrote: »
    Just want to see what people think about this.

Colin Kelly is the latest manager to leave his post after one season. He's come out with the usual five-hour commute for training was a major factor in his decision and somewhat oddly IMO his children playing other sports.

Surely he knew going into the job how long the commute would be? Also that his children would be playing other sports?

The question i have should be made harder for managers to just resign? They would have made a commitment for X number of years so should something be put in place if they leave before that? Now i know there can be other reasons and that;s fair enough, but when it's always the line about travel etc is it not be that easy?

Another example being Eamonn Kelly when he was with Offaly. Stepped down saying he wasn't able to commit etc and maybe 2 weeks later he's the Laois manager. It's quite common in hurling for teams like Kerry, Laois etc to have fellas, mostly outsiders, come in and leave again after a few weeks.

In this case i know Kelly has said for Westmeath to go with a local manager this time around, but there's a lot of fellas making a nice bit of money for themselves for doing very little and leaving a the drop of a hat
    How do you make it harder for someone to retire from what is a *volunteer role*?
    What do you want to change?

Advertisement