Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audiobook recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stephen Fry's More Fool Me - an autobiography read by himself. The soothing voice giving a very honest account of fame, mental meltdown and a sustained cocaine addiction mostly set in 80s and 90s London.

0lddog wrote: »
    well, I'm not going to put up a post telling you lot about the public library system

This. Forget all the other posts. Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, for instance, have an Overdrive feature where you can listen to many of these professionally download/read audiobooks for free, as well as download ordinary books for free. While the range obviously isn't as huge as Amazon's Audible, it's a brilliant, brilliant free service and if you're really tight you can ask them to order books in for you:

Free downloadable audiobooks & library books from your local library

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Two more titles that come to mind are Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of "The War Of The Worlds" by H G Wells narrated by Richard Burton - not exactly an audiobook but well worth a listen - I have a copy on audio cassette that still gets a play once in a while. Another favourite which I have on CD is "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome read by Nigel Planer (Neil from The Young Ones). One to read or listen to before you die or take with you to a desert island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Bird Box
    by Josh Malerman
    I really really enjoyed this audio book when i listened to it.its a great story.and very well narrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes trilogy read by Will Patton. Very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

recyclops wrote: »
    Dark tower series. The narrator changes due to one passing away but its still brilliant.

I was going to suggest this, but I didnt know one narrators passed away, Im only on book 3 but thats an awful shame, he does Eddy so well.

I thought Dune was amazing as was The Stand, though its a lot of listening!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zero Point wrote: »
    As is anything by Richard Burton. While he mostly recorded poetry and Shakespeare he also did a recording of Arabian nights. Might be worth listening to that alone just for the voice. Nothing sexier than the deep velvety tones of a man who knows how to speak properly and clearly.
    Jeff Wayne's, War of the Worlds album , strictly speaking not an audio book, but Burton is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Currently listening to Digging Up Mother: A Love Story by Doug Stanhope.

I'll admit it's one of those 'you have to be in to him' things, as his humour is very dark. Very funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If you're into Red Dwarf, then Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers read by Chris Barrie would be a good choice. Is typical RD and very funny.

In fact, I think it's on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

'Atlas Shrugged'. By Ayn Rand. Narrated by Scott Brick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Seriously though, the Dark Tower series has excellent narration from a pair of voice actors. The first 4 were done by Frank Muller, who was replaced by George Guidall after Muller had a serious accident. Great stuff all round.

The Lord of the Rings audiobooks read by Rob Inglis. Absolutely superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Michael Pollan - 'How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence'

Released a month or so back and read by the author.
    About halfway through and so far so great.

Here's a little promo skit he did on Stephen Colbert:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Millennium book series was excellent, especially the original trilogy.

I am currently on a Jack Reacher buzz, on book 8 and just enjoying the formula (14 hours long on average) so my work journey and at 1.3 X speed means I usually take about a week to get through one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,846 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Best audiobook I've ever listened to, one of the top-sellers for a reason. He makes everything so simple and fascinating at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 10 downeyac

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Ah no, every book that I've tried on Librivox sounds likes it's being ready by a bot - maybe it's just my choice of books but I doubt it.

My recommendation for a summer listen would be "The Story of Lucy Gault" by William Trevor read by Connor Mullen - if you're into that sort of thing.
    Some narrators are better than others. Elizabeth Klett is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Skin Deep by Liz Nugent was very good, about to start the Tattooist of Auschwitz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Frank Muller is the best reader I've ever heard. He's dead now unfortunately.

He read Stephen King books like (Rita Hayworth and the) Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mike, plus loads of other Stephen King books.

George Orwell's 1984.

My all time favourite is his reading of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Dresden Files (15 books so far) read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) does an amazing job to the point where I get lost in the gender differences of female chars and my mind just goes with it. It's like popcorn for your brain at the start and then **** gets real. My favourite series of books.

Did brief history of nearly everything and that is excellent too.

Mind's eye theatre goes to high production level, ie sound effects, mood music, different actors.
    Brent weeks stuff started out there but then changed to a different company. Excellent stuff on both forms but definitely lost something with the MET -> single narrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Skintown by Ciaran McMenamin, about halfway through and very good so far

Advertisement