Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social things to do in Waterford to meet people and make new friends

Options
  • 09-06-2018 8:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭

I have a lot of spare time on my hands on my days off and things can get very boring. I am looking to for some ideas from people here so I can get out there and develop a social life for myself and perhaps make some new friends .
    Some ideas I have come up with so far are

1. Charity/Volunteering work
    2. Crossfit
    3. Walking/running Club
    4. Dodge ball
    5. Language class(Id like to learn German)
    6. Cooking class

I'm not sure if or any of these are available, would appreciate other ideas and any advise on the list I have already complied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭invara

These sound like very good ideas.

Have a look at https://www.volunteer.ie/ or drop into them (I think they are around the corner from the Tower Hotel near Bolton St Carpark).

I would add in a fun tennis evening, especially this time of year... American tournaments that are usually open to non-members- they can be very sociable and easy to arrive into on your own (have a look out on FB- St Annes, Tramore and Dunmore East). You could also look at fun hockey (Waterford Hockey Club), five-aside soccer is easy to find on facebook. Choirs are also a very good way to get meet people. Spokes poetry night is also very friendly and accessible.... Some of the things you suggest are not the most social, IMHO sports classes tend not to be that sociable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is one of the best things i’ve ever done in my life.

Check out Ganbaru Jiu Jitsu - Six Cross Roads business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

I have a lot of spare time on my hands on my days off and things can get very boring. I am looking to for some ideas from people here so I can get out there and develop a social life for myself and perhaps make some new friends . Some ideas I have come up with so far are

I have a lot of spare time on my hands on my days off and things can get very boring. I am looking to for some ideas from people here so I can get out there and develop a social life for myself and perhaps make some new friends . Some ideas I have come up with so far are

I'm not sure if or any of these are available, would appreciate other ideas and any advise on the list I have already complied

You seem bussie enough with locations but recommended volinter in rescue on your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

The Waterford Volunteer email is wcityv@gmail.com

They’ll have information about volunteer opportunities in Waterford.

There are German language course in WIT and the Vocational Collage on Parnell Street but I think they don’t start again until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Good suggestions there from your OP. I wouldn't recommend St Annes though I was a member for a year and it was an awful experience, simply down to the fact that the people there are incredibly snobby and exclude you if you aren't a wealthy solicitor or architect. Think about every tennis club cliché you can imagine and sadly its true up there. I thought when I joined that the snobbery element had faded away but it hasn't.
    Dungarvan Tennis Club is much more welcoming and doesn't judge you on your job or social class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Tennisgirl

Good suggestions there from your OP. I wouldn't recommend St Annes though I was a member for a year and it was an awful experience, simply down to the fact that the people there are incredibly snobby and exclude you if you aren't a wealthy solicitor or architect. Think about every tennis club cliché you can imagine and sadly its true up there. I thought when I joined that the snobbery element had faded away but it hasn't.
    Dungarvan Tennis Club is much more welcoming and doesn't judge you on your job or social class.

I am very upset at this scathing unjustified attack on St Annes Tennis Club. I am a member there for 20 years, being neither a solicitor nor an architect. Your perception could not be further from the truth, with 1,200 members from 5 - 75 years of age, from all walks of life and professions. As a club we work very hard to welcome and include all members and non members at various social events through the year. In fact, I am furious that you are attempting to publicly undermine the tireless work we do to attract new members with recruitment drives, Interfirms, charity events, special offers on membership, welcome tournaments for new members, open days. etc.

Please do not let this individuals bad experience stop you from getting involved in this fantastic sport and a hugely social and welcoming club with some of the best facilities in the country.
    There is a current summer only membership offer you could avail of if you are interested, just give the office a call. It will be the best thing you will ever do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Tennisgirl wrote: »
    I am very upset at this scathing unjustified attack on St Annes Tennis Club. I am a member there for 20 years, being neither a solicitor nor an architect. Your perception could not be further from the truth, with 1,200 members from 5 - 75 years of age, from all walks of life and professions. As a club we work very hard to welcome and include all members and non members at various social events through the year. In fact, I am furious that you are attempting to publicly undermine the tireless work we do to attract new members with recruitment drives, Interfirms, charity events, special offers on membership, welcome tournaments for new members, open days. etc.

Please do not let this individuals bad experience stop you from getting involved in this fantastic sport and a hugely social and welcoming club with some of the best facilities in the country.
    There is a current summer only membership offer you could avail of if you are interested, just give the office a call. It will be the best thing you will ever do!!

Well you are entitled to your opinion but that's the experience I had there and from talking to a few other past members (within the last 2 years) its a common theme. The consensus is if you are there a long time and know everyone there, you seem to be treated more favourably than new members. I got in on the recommendation of a friend who has since moved on from Waterford and I remember the clubhouse being filled with snobby people who were not only unfriendly towards me but actually people gossiping about what the newer members "do for a living" which is 100% snobbery.

I tried my best to see the good side of the club members there on nights out but they weren't nice people at all. That's why I recommended Dungarvan to the OP, there you are treated with more respect and your social class actually doesn't even come into it. St Annes has a very long way to go in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Well you are entitled to your opinion but that's the experience I had there and from talking to a few other past members (within the last 2 years) its a common theme. The consensus is if you are there a long time and know everyone there, you seem to be treated more favourably than new members. I got in on the recommendation of a friend who has since moved on from Waterford and I remember the clubhouse being filled with snobby people who were not only unfriendly towards me but actually people gossiping about what the newer members "do for a living" which is 100% snobbery.

I tried my best to see the good side of the club members there on nights out but they weren't nice people at all. That's why I recommended Dungarvan to the OP, there you are treated with more respect and your social class actually doesn't even come into it. St Annes has a very long way to go in my view.

Never been a member of St Anne’s Tennis Club. However, what you describe sounds like a typical Waterford clique to me. Nothing to do with your job or social class. Experienced it myself in doing work for clients of a company I worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭914

I have a lot of spare time on my hands on my days off and things can get very boring. I am looking to for some ideas from people here so I can get out there and develop a social life for myself and perhaps make some new friends .
    Some ideas I have come up with so far are

1. Charity/Volunteering work
    2. Crossfit
    3. Walking/running Club
    4. Dodge ball
    5. Language class(Id like to learn German)
    6. Cooking class

I think everything you mention there is available. I know a few that have and still play dodgeball and love it. Played it a few times myself and it is great craic with nice friendly people. Couldn't continue with it due to working permanent evenings.

Facebook search waterford dodgeball club and you should find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

BBM77 wrote: »
    Never been a member of St Anne’s Tennis Club. However, what you describe sounds like a typical Waterford clique to me. Nothing to do with your job or social class. Experienced it myself in doing work for clients of a company I worked for.

Agreed as someone who wasn't from Waterford and moved in, and a member of St Annes. I know a lot of people from outside Waterford and found the same experience - it's like a small village mentality here quite often.

St Annes, and tennis generally, used to be a lot more stuffy. You used to have to wear whites, there was a long waiting list, and generally it was the professional types only joining. That's all gone now as far as I can see. In fact, I remember one family from one of the nearby council estates who had daughters who were some of the best players in the club - and you can be sure they settled in grand.

Crossfit seems to be like a cult. The first rule about Crossfit is that you have to tell everyone about Crossfit! That said, they all seem to be great buddies in there, that could be a good one to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Would you consider roller derby? I play with the Waterford City Viqueens. Started three years ago and have made some great friends out of it, and managed to get somewhat fit along the way too. Doesn't matter if you can skate or not, anyone is welcome as long as they are 18+

Advertisement