Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever keep to the speed limit?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

A quick question, and it's not intended as a gripe or posting for an argument.

I just wanted to know if any motor cyclists ever keep to the speed limit on our roads? As a car driver I don't think I've ever seen a motorcyclist stick to the limit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's framed as a gripe and an argument though

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Barney224 wrote: »
    A quick question, and it's not intended as a gripe or posting for an argument.

I just wanted to know if any motor cyclists ever keep to the speed limit on our roads? As a car driver I don't think I've ever seen a motorcyclist stick to the limit!
    Most car drivers, myself included, don't stick to the posted speed limit!
    What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Sorry if is, but I'm still curious to know if any why they don't keep to the limit? I know a lot of cars don't either, but bikes appear to be more excessive with their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I apply the same respect for speed limits as I do when driving my car.

As a motorcyclist I don't think I've ever seen a car driver stick to the limit in flowing traffic without another load of car drivers tailgating the crap out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Barney224 wrote: »
    Sorry if is, but I'm still curious to know if any why they don't keep to the limit? I know a lot of cars don't either, but bikes appear to be more excessive with their speed.
    Because they're bad boys. Dangerous. Sexy.

Men want to be them, women pay no attention whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's a limit? I always thought it was a target, and I aim to over achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I see it as perception & performance.
    When I'm in my car I'm constrained by other vehicles whilst watching bikes whizzing by, it feels the bikes are fast relative to my much slower speed. Equally, when I'm on my bike I find general traffic somewhat pedestrian and a little frustrating.
    Also the performance, both engine and brakes need to be considered. My bike can out-accelerate AND out-brake virtually anything on four wheels yet the speed limit is the same for all vehicles.
    I just ride/drive within my skills and prevailing circumstances....
    ....with an eye out for Dibble, cameras and idiots! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have to admit I'm not impressed with this thread given you're not a regular motorbikes poster.

I'm not sure what outcome you expect by starting this thread but it's basically trolling our entire community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zubair wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm not impressed with this thread given you're not a regular motorbikes poster.

I'm not sure what outcome you expect by starting this thread but it's basically trolling our entire community.

I mean, if I'm brutally honest I have seen some lads on bikes going insanely fast. This morning I got overtaken by a lad on racer going at least 100mph down the Ballincollig to Mahon duel-carriageway.

I'd tend to ride along at about 60mph to 75mph depending on the road and traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just give the same answer that gets given on the motors forum.
    "Yes, always, 100% of the time, Gard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes - not always. Do you stick to all the rules of the road and limits or just in here to troll ? Because in every form of transport there are rule breakers. Are you one of them??? Or just here to point fingers ?

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    I just ride/drive within my skills and prevailing circumstances....

While I'm no angel I can never understand this comment. You driving within your skills but above regular speeds can cause others accidents.

You should always accept that what you can do safely can impact on other users, who could expect you to lose control at a moment's notice and hit brakes, swerve, or generally panic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Speed limits don't apply to motorbikes. Look up the rules of the road, everyone knows this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You've never seen a motorbike keep to the limit because they are behind you... keeping to the limit.

It's too easy to pigeonhole road users, car drivers being the exception, they get grouped according to the brand of car they drive (Audi, BMW, Merc drivers never use indicators etc etc).

People are arseholes, mode of transport is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Is the OP a troll who's never posted here before.??

Yes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lets start another thread about how all cyclists are twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very rarely, do you know how difficult it is so stick to exactly the limit, virtually impossible, you'll drop to or go over by a kmh at some stage, I'd bet money on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Come over to the cycling forum. Same type of thread is regular there, a moany complaint dressed up as advice or a question from someone who doesn't really have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on the limit. Going into a town or village, yes. 30kph on motorway junctions or pretty much any 30kph, no. M50, no. Long journey on a motorway, yes. Short spin on motorway, no. 80kph along by the spa hotel, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

I speed up for corners.....does that count?

In general I respect the speed limits - so many camera vans/checkpoints about Nth Dubland and keeping the licence points free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zascar wrote: »

Hey watch it pal, I resemble that remark!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Best saying ever..." daddy..why are motorbikes always in a hurry"......:)......nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, they might be twats, but they're not the twats with 100% breaking the speed limits (motorcyclists) or the twats with 82% breaking the speed limits (motorists) in the RSA Speed Survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

No they're just the twats who are 79% breaking red lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Get ta fuk...

Yeah, they might be twats, but they're not the twats with 100% breaking the speed limits (motorcyclists) or the twats with 82% breaking the speed limits (motorists) in the RSA Speed Survey.

Yeah but that survey was complete manure.

If you want competition then cyclists have to be in contention for red light breaking but that's another thread lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Surveys and stats can be spun to suit the agenda. They look for any angle to put down motorcycles

Survey sez riders are more honest than car drivers.

Wailin wrote: »
    No they're just the twats who are 79% breaking red lights.
    Funnily enough, the Luas red light cameras found that 88% of red light jumpers were motorists, not cyclists - but if you do have any other interest stats to bring to the party, please get them on the table - with details of your sources please.
    bladespin wrote: »
    Yeah but that survey was complete manure.
    For any particular reason, other than you not liking the results?
    If you want competition then cyclists have to be in contention for red light breaking but that's another thread lol.
    Sure - let's discuss these stats on that other thread. lol.

http://kerrycyclingcampaign.org/but-all-drivers-break-the-lights/

• Advertisement

Survey sez riders are more honest than car drivers.
    The RSA survey doesn't ask people about their driving/riding. They put speed cameras out and measure speed.

Advertisement