Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customer unable to pay for petrol

Options
  • 08-06-2018 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    Yesterday, I had a customer come into the petrol station to pay for petrol and another product. Only had the contactless phone app no money otherwise (the store doesn't have contactless). Got him to fill out the drive off form (he didn't get the other product) after finding out when he can come back in to pay it. customer left before I could inform the manager.
    However, I got in trouble for doing this, as it "wasn't a charity, if you don't have the money don't give him the product." Ended up paying for the petrol (said I'll get it back if he comes back in to pay it and if I didn't I'd lose my job).
    I can't see what else I could've done. This is petrol not bread, not like we can siphon it out. Other co-workers have done what I've done in similar situations and it's mixed results sometimes pay, other times no. What else could I have done or was I bull****ted out of money (which I suspect)? I plan to get the manager each time a scenario like this occurs whenever possible

Comments

How important is this job to you?

Your manager shouldn't do this but it has come up here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Did you ask the Boss what they expect you to do if this situation occurs again? Is this a Large Company is there no procedure for this? Are the allowed to make an employee pay for this? It sounds very dodgy to me.

Where do you work I fancy getting a full tank of petrol on you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Ask your boss what the procedure is if it happens again. And tell him to get a new machine that'll take contactless. I've been in the customers situation a few times in shops. Only had the phone on me. I can't think of one place that doesn't have contactless nowadays, especially fuel stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with TheBlock.

This kind of thing (customer can't pay) seems like something which should be escalated to a manager.

You made a mistake. It's ok. Use it as a life lesson.

When you're older and working in an office, we have a concept called "Cover Your Ass". In a nutshell, you are always trying to protect yourself. "Could I get in trouble for this? Yes. OK, let me e-mail the manager and wait for her to confirm, in writing, that I should proceed. Until then I wait." Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 notacrackpot

He didn't exactly gave me a chance to let me ask questions, just to listen what happened.
    the only thing we have is a drive off form.
    I'm not sure if they're allowed, it says nothing about this in the contract.
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 notacrackpot

my job isn't hugely important but I do need to raise money for a course I plan to enroll in. I'm already looking at other jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

so a customer can't pay and you don't get a supervisor / manager.

Default position if its a situation where you don't know what to do is to move it to someone who can.

Possibly this was a scam and you'll never see the money - or it could have been genuine. (I reckon it was a scam) and its in a way correct that you are out of pocket (I assume under €30).

A manager would have been able to deal with it differently - get customer to call someone who can give card details by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Customer may come back today. Hold tight. But clarify with management what they require to do in future

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP your manager seems pretty mean to me.
    FWIW something similar happened to me however in this case I was the customer.
    I was hugely embarrassed of course, the person behind the till was very nice and suggested that I leave my wallet or one of the cards in it with them and they would give it back on return with the funds. They said it nicely, I felt it wasn't unreasonable in the circumstances and it all worked out fine. Maybe a suggestion if there is a next time?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Next time take the spare wheel or customers mobile as security until they come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

This thread comes up a bit doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Next time take the spare wheel or customers mobile as security until they come back.

I thought they used to take the driving license as security?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

heres what you ll do. leave the job and go abroad.for the next six years train in every martial art there is and learn how to handle weapons of every kind.loose tons of weight and muscle up.come back armed to the teeth blow the **** out of the petrol station and surrounding townlands.then hunt down that customer and get your money back.
    simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the usual approach is call guards

I know someone who got petreol and when went in to pay discovered had no purse in bag

explained, gave options including leaving collateral, driving licence etc . while went and got money but no guards called and details taken

I guess they have had people not return and pay in such circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

This used to happen in a garage my friend worked in and the Guards would be called to ring the customer if they had not returned in 24 hours.

It is a common occurrence, I would leave a job that would make me pay for something like this esp when there is no procedure there on how to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

When you say you got him to fill in drive off form what do you mean?
    Is that a form you fill in if a customer drives off, why did he fill it in then? or is it something else.
    When did he say he would come back, I'd be on to the guards if not back by then.
    Surely owner has insurance against what is in this case theft, you should not be out of money, what did manager expect you to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'm already looking at other jobs

That's the pay back - if / when you leave, make sure you communicate this event to the owners and advise them to treat their staff with more respect. That's if they want staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

More than a few years ago, my wife was working in a petrol station.
    Customer filled car, came into the shop and said that he had forgotten his wallet.
    Asked if he had anything to leave while he was away.
    Hold on a moment he says, goes out to the car and brings in his girlfriend.
    He left her there while he went and got money, she was ready to murder him!
    Doubt that relationship lasted much longer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I was that custmer one time. The lad on the till got panicky, and called the manager and he was fine about the whole thing. Had to fill in a form with a load of details and he asked for some form of ID which he took a photocopy of. I think I gave him a swipe card from work or something... he was pretty cool about it to be honest and told me not to rush back.

My sense is your manager over reacted a bit, or maybe its been happening a lot and they are being targetted for that sort of carry on. Having a formal process/procedure in place will avoid the awkward manager conversation afterwards (so long as you follow the formal procedure! ;) )

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If I only have contactless payment method on me... I would stick my head in to the shop first and ask if they accept it before I filled up...

I worked in a garage years ago, it happened a bit.. hence why garages garages make you prepay now. What can you do tho, take the fuel back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I hope there is a sign on the pumps saying sorry we don't accept contactless payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Unless you were told at some point to handle this differently then it's a training issue and on them, not you. Ordering you to pay is bullying and possibly worse. You could look up one of those free legal advice centres. Or meet it head on and ask him to out it in writing that you need to pay. Does the manager own the place? Find out who to complain to in the organisation if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's not mandatory to take contactless.

Customer should always check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

...Ended up paying for the petrol (said I'll get it back if he comes back in to pay it and if I didn't I'd lose my job)....

This is the part where I disagree with the manager - he can't make you pay for the petrol AND fire you if the guy doesn't come back in. Making you pay should be enough.

And, there should have been clear instructions left for this situation, and if there weren't, you should have called the manager to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Get looking for a new job ASAP. This is something which should have been covered in your training. If it was not then that is a failing of your manager. If the pump is not prepay you should not have been asked to paid for the fuel nor be threatened with being sacked over this.

If you are in the position that the customer is going to leave and a manger is not available then you should have informed the customer that you dont have the authority to allow them credit and if they leave your only option would be to call the Gardai. If the manager was not on the premises you could not physically detain the person, until the manage became back. if the manage was on the premises you should have gotten the manager first and not tried to deal with this yourself but still could not stop the customer from leaving.

You need to get clear instructions as to how to deal with this, but make it clear that you won't be making any other payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Unless you were told at some point to handle this differently then it's a training issue and on them, not you. Ordering you to pay is bullying and possibly worse. You could look up one of those free legal advice centres. Or meet it head on and ask him to out it in writing that you need to pay. Does the manager own the place? Find out who to complain to in the organisation if not.

It would be viewed as a deduction from wages if the employee has no provision in the contract to allow this it's viewed as an illegal.
    Depending on the value of the fuel the company could have problems as it could bring the wages under the minimum wage too.

The op is entitled to a recipe for the deduction too

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

This used to happen in a garage my friend worked in and the Guards would be called to ring the customer if they had not returned in 24 hours.
    You can't call the guards if you allowed them to leave, only if they drove off without paying.

OP always get the manager. If they're not around the customer will have to wait for them. Don't give the customer any sympathy either, he went and filled up his car when he had no money on him..

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Klopp

What is the purpose of the 'Drive off form you got the customer to fill out and complete? If it is in situations like this than you followed the process and training provided, your Manager is out of order. If the form is not fit for purpose, the form should be removed and new process should be introduced to all staff. The Manager needs to take some responsibility and inform all staff and retrain staff on whatever new proposal he or the company decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Op do you work for a chain or and independant retailer?

This happens all the time. General policy we have here is take the details, license number (not license), reg, phone number (ring it to make sure if you are suspicious) and name. Get an estimated time of when they can come back and if they dont show rung the guards who can follow it up.

Your manager was bang out of order intimidating yoy into paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

OMM 0000 wrote: »

When you're older and working in an office, .
    Do you assume this is a natural progression? Bit weird, no?

Advertisement