Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Scam into buying AntiVirus

Options
  • 08-06-2018 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I'm fuming over this! my computer illiterate mother was in the market for a new lappy, I steered her in the direction of Lenovo and gave her some basic specs she should get for her price range, I told her she'd be well advised to get a laptop with an SSD.

She went to HN out of convenience :rolleyes:

The sales guy firstly convinced her that she didn't need an SSD, that it was a waist of money, he then had the absolute cheek to go and sell her not one, but two antivirus software subscription, one for her newly purchased, Windows 10 antvirus bundled (Defender) laptop, and the second for my dads tablet :eek::mad::mad:

How is this practice aloud, how is this not taking advantage :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How is this practice aloud, how is this not taking advantage

It's call sales, otherwise known as 'fill people up with ****, to sell them stuff'. The world of marketing and consumption, it's good for us, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Go back to them, ask to speak to the sales person, if they're not cooperative, then ask to speak to the manager, if they are no help take it to head office. If they don't help then tell the,m that you're putting the story on social media.

I had HN tell me a laptop had MS Office fitted as standard, got home, found it was the "25 use trial", took it back straight away, had no joy off the shop (they lied through their teeth to me) and ended up getting a free MS Office package after I contacted their head office.

Got a €450 camera off them, found out after 6 weeks that a setting was faulty and they offered a refund, upgrade or swap on the spot.

So not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The sales guy firstly convinced her that she didn't need an SSD, that it was a waist of money,
    If a computer illiterate person I knew was sold an SSD I'd be fuming as it would be a waste of money for what they'll likely be using it for! :D

The rest of it, Harvey Norman are well known for pushing AntiVirus and extended warranties, you need to go in knowing you're going to have to be firm and say no. Be prepared to fight for any repairs and replacements if you haven't taken out the extended warranty either.

(Come to think of it the AV they push normally slows the PC down so much that the SSD would probably be necessary :p)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

TheChizler wrote:
    If a computer illiterate person I knew was sold an SSD I'd be fuming as it would be a waste of money for what they'll likely be using it for!

An SSD makes a PC run like a dream, I recommend them at any user level. The guy at the store obviously didn't care about her needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

tedpan wrote: »
    An SSD makes a PC run like a dream, I recommend them at any user level. The guy at the store obviously didn't care about her needs.

Agreed, my mother is in the market for a new laptop and I've told her to get an SSD (the smaller capacity compared to a standard HDD won't be an issue, and the lower noise, heat, weight and better battery life are all pluses in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd say it's not aloud, but rather a sneaky secret practice

mrcheez wrote: »

the manipulation practices of marketing is well written about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the manipulation practices of marketing is well written about

aye, but they aren't shouting out loud about it

aye, but they aren't shouting out loud about it

ah both agree and disagree, ive met marketeers, theyre very proud of their manipulation skills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Not all users need SSD.

If your mother told me speed and performance was not a requirement (eg just general use and browsing the internet etc), and plenty of storage was what she wanted, i would have steered her in the direction of mechanical 1tb drive over a 256gb SSD.

Its simplistic and nonsense to suggest that standard hard drives are undesirable and being dumped on dupes. i know plenty of excs who got surface pros/ slim laptops with SSDs etc, and are really struggling for space on their SSD's after 1 year. With the OS, a few programmes and a bagful of pictures, your out of space before you know it, and cannot get updates to install etc. for someone who has external storage and knows what they are doing, grand, but for less proficient users ....

With regards to getting 2 different antiviruses for 2 different OS - its not illegal, probably not unethical either. do they have one product that would cover both? if not then its justified. PS i wouldn't rely on defender only on my laptop and i can at least spot scams before i give me bank details to prince jamal! For an end user - its probably not a bad thing to have defender and another store bought product, and certainly not grounds for complaint, in itself.

IMO you are attributing bad intentions and sharp business practises to the sales person, when there are other explanations. You are vaguely unhappy, you dont peronall agree with some of the decisions. But they were not inherently wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I thanked this but it’s not AH so you’ll probably get a spanking for it. It’s a grammar based joke people, move on.

Sorry OP, I’d be fuming too but I’m not sure what can be done. An SSD is a great improvement over a mechanical drive but that does not make the HDD unfit for purpose. As for the AV scenario, that’s just salesman sh!tbaggery. Vote with your feet and don’t darken their door again.

Hopefully it goes faulty very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

I'm fuming over this! my computer illiterate mother was in the market for a new lappy, I steered her in the direction of Lenovo and gave her some basic specs she should get for her price range, I told her she'd be well advised to get a laptop with an SSD.

Sorry now, but why in heavens name didn't you go with her.

before id sent my computer illiterate mother into a shop full of "sales" people to buy something she hasn't a clue about.
    That salesman must have thought all his Christmases came together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TheChizler wrote: »
    If a computer illiterate person I knew was sold an SSD I'd be fuming as it would be a waste of money for what they'll likely be using it for! :D

These days the choice is generally a 128GB SSD or 500/1TB HDD.

In 95% of cases for people like the OP, the SSD option is infinitely better and will give them a much, much better experience.

They're not going to be downloading or storing huge files, and 128GB is plenty for general use - internet, office, netflix, storing a few bits and pieces.

People who often complain about 'slow' laptops are actually wrongly attributing it to CPU or other factors when it's just a slow hard drive.

There are very frequent posts in tech forums from people with good laptops - i5 or i7 - talking about upgrades because 'it's gone very slow'.

Telling someone they need an i7 or 16GB ram would be a waste, but an SSD is never wasted on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

People who often complain about 'slow' laptops are actually wrongly attributing it to CPU or other factors when it's just a slow hard drive.
    In an old laptop an SSD can certainly make a huge performance improvement as minimum specs rise and software bloat causes the previously good system to grind to a halt, but in a new clean one I've never noticed an appreciable difference with an SSD versus without. Unless you're buying cheap most new laptops are spec'd to what's needed to give a decent response. I'm certainly a fan of SSDs, got one for my work laptop as I'm running complex sims all day, but for the OP's mother the only real difference is it will turn on in 20 seconds rather than 40, and Chrome will open in 1 second rather than 5. Ish.

Anyway I feel we might be missing the point of the OP's post here! :D

She was sold something. She didn't have to take it. She trusted the advice of a smiling person in polo shirt over yours. I don't see a problem with the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

She was sold something. She didn't have to take it. She trusted the advice of a smiling person in polo shirt over yours. I don't see a problem with the shop.

It depends

Remember the big scandal where bank customers were sold insurance they didn't need

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Talking about electrical retailers ripping people off, I remember once reading on the Harvey Norman website that they recommended that you spend 15% of the price of your new TV on cables. That rip-off was exposed for what it was and I though that that scam had ended.

Until last night....

A Channel 4 consumer program called Supershoppers discovered that Currys/PC World are back to their (and other retailers) old tricks flogging overpriced HDMI cables. The current justification is that 4K TVs require waaaaaaaay more bandwidth than HD and that cable on your old TV simply isn't up to the job so they had 'silver' (£60) and 'gold' HDMI cables (£80) ready for gullible customers who fall for the scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

TheChizler wrote: »
    ...only real difference is it will turn on in 20 seconds rather than 40, and Chrome will open in 1 second rather than 5. Ish....

It will make a huge difference to anything that loads from the hard drive. That's not just simply opening things, but anything that caches will constantly access the disk. Browsers will keep accessing it after they are open for example. It will also not slow down over time.

That most of the sales people in shops are clueless. They probably don't know the difference. Anytime I over hear them I'm pretty shocked at how little they know.

It's still up to the Buyer to be aware of what they are buying..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

TheChizler wrote:
    In an old laptop an SSD can certainly make a huge performance improvement as minimum specs rise and software bloat causes the previously good system to grind to a halt, but in a new clean one I've never noticed an appreciable difference with an SSD versus without. Unless you're buying cheap most new laptops are spec'd to what's needed to give a decent response. I'm certainly a fan of SSDs, got one for my work laptop as I'm running complex sims all day, but for the OP's mother the only real difference is it will turn on in 20 seconds rather than 40, and Chrome will open in 1 second rather than 5. Ish.

5-7 seconds start up, compared to 60 on an old i5 machine I upgraded. Everything is significantly faster apart from browsing the web, which is only slightly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Listen, she went into a shop and the sales assistant recommended a product based on their interaction, you see 'mis-sold' whereas she might have said ' I want a laptop that is very secure on the internet, not too bothered about the 60 second difference in start up'

If you were that bothered, you would have done the research and bought on her behalf or at least went into the shop with her

• Advertisement

Odd enough someone I know had a similar experience, had a laptop on sale, they went down to get it, but were sold a lesser model at a higher price and AV. I found out later when they brought it home.
    I went back down with them, and returned it, and got the other machine for them.

If you wonder why Irish consumers get a shafted so often, you only have to read this thread and people defending the retailer.

If you were that bothered, you would have done the research and bought on her behalf or at least went into the shop with her

+1 my thoughts exactly.

OP sent their 'computer illiterate mother' into the lion's den and is now complaining because she got bitten.

Even if you walk in knowing the make, model and price of what it is you want, everyone knows at this stage that you are going to get the hard sell for an extended warranty and/or antivirus package.

Actually he sent her with a spec which the salesperson changed and sold her a lesser machine, but cost more because he bumped up the price with software they didn't ask for. Better profit margin most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

whats a "lappy" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Standard practice in a lot of businesses. Argos tried to sell me insurance on my 10eu washing line. It was only 5eu!

Computer purchase can be tricky. Lots of options, sales guys can push and pull even fairly OK customers and extras at the end when your tired your likely to just agree.

Your advice was 100% on the pc specs but the real world advice on navigating the purchasing process was absent.

It's an infrequent purchase for us but sales teams get to practice every day. Chalk it up to experience.

sugarman wrote: »
    Nothing uniquely Irish about it, go to any electrical shop anywhere in the world and they'll try sell you sell you their mothers. Its nothing new either. All you have to do is politely say no, not interested. I just want X.

A lot of companies, like insurance, mobile, mortgages and others find the Irish market their most profitable. That's not a coincidence.

sugarman wrote: »
    Nothing uniquely Irish about it, go to any electrical shop anywhere in the world and they'll try sell you sell you their mothers. Its nothing new either. All you have to do is politely say no, not interested. I just want X.

+1 Happens everywhere. The Simpsons even had a go at retailers selling extended warranties. When you're making a large purchase like a PC or TV, the sales people are trained that you're a sitting duck for highly profitable extras like expensive cables, antivirus etc.

Argos once tried to sell me a warranty on electric toothbrush heads - a bloody consumable!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She went to HN out of convenience :rolleyes:

The sales guy firstly convinced her that she didn't need an SSD, that it was a waist of money, he then had the absolute cheek to go and sell her not one, but two antivirus software subscription, one for her newly purchased, Windows 10 antvirus bundled (Defender) laptop, and the second for my dads tablet :eek::mad::mad:

Your complaining about being ripped off yet you sent her to bricks and mortar shops which are more expensive than buying on the net. When you gave her the specs would it not have been as easy to actually pick one out and buy it for her, that's what I'd for a friend never mind my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

s8n wrote: »
    whats a "lappy" ??

A lappy is shorthand for a laptop.

The expression has gone out of circulation as laptop sales go down as ppl spend so much on their smartphones which are capable of doing so much nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OP, you admit she's computer illiterate and yet allowed her go an buy a laptop on her own....the first fault lies with you!

Advertisement