Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday coming up... shaving, chafing, please help! Argh!!

Options
  • 07-06-2018 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I could have, I suppose, put this in the Travel forum but I thought I might get more replies here from ye girls! x
    I’m heading abroad in 2 weeks and I wonder can ye help me with 2 queries, please :)
    Does anyone know if you can put a Venus razor in your carry-on suitcase (Ryanair)... I get from their site that it’s maybe ok to take a disposable razor but I’m not talking about the pack of 3 Venus razors that you throw away completely after use, I mean the ones that you can buy the replacement heads for?
    And my other question... not being what you would call thin :( - I always suffer from thigh chafing if I wear a dress or skirt without tights. The climate is probably going to be too hot for tights, so I really don’t think I’ll be able to wear them out there. I saw something called “ Bodyglide for Her “ online there a few minutes ago - has anyone used it with success or any recommendations for another solution?
    I have now thought of another question, FML! :( ... if no tights, my legs are going to be their usual pasty self - any tan that doesn’t run down your legs if you’re sweating like hell?!
    TIA :) x

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

twirlagig wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I could have, I suppose, put this in the Travel forum but I thought I might get more replies here from ye girls! x
    I’m heading abroad in 2 weeks and I wonder can ye help me with 2 queries, please :)
    Does anyone know if you can put a Venus razor in your carry-on suitcase (Ryanair)... I get from their site that it’s maybe ok to take a disposable razor but I’m not talking about the pack of 3 Venus razors that you throw away completely after use, I mean the ones that you can buy the replacement heads for?
    And my other question... not being what you would call thin :( - I always suffer from thigh chafing if I wear a dress or skirt without tights. The climate is probably going to be too hot for tights, so I really don’t think I’ll be able to wear them out there. I saw something called “ Bodyglide for Her “ online there a few minutes ago - has anyone used it with success or any recommendations for another solution?
    I have now thought of another question, FML! :( ... if no tights, my legs are going to be their usual pasty self - any tan that doesn’t run down your legs if you’re sweating like hell?!

Have brought a venus thru security.

http://www.boots.ie/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-30g-10071974 works well. I use the body glide stuff for sports.

Tan - don’t use it!

Evans sell what they call "comfort knickers" or something like that, that prevent chafing. They're like tights material, but not tight or sweaty. They're like shorts. I've worn them during the last week or two, during the hotter days and find them comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

sullivlo wrote: »
    Have brought a venus thru security.

http://www.boots.ie/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-30g-10071974 works well. I use the body glide stuff for sports.

Tan - don’t use it!

Thanks so much for your reply. Is that Lanacane stuff exclusive to Boots or available pretty much everywhere? Haven’t seen it locally...

I don’t like tan either but sure what can you do?! :)

Evans sell what they call "comfort knickers" or something like that, that prevent chafing. They're like tights material, but not tight or sweaty. They're like shorts. I've worn them during the last week or two, during the hotter days and find them comfortable.

Oh I never heard of them, thanks. How far down your leg do they go? Do they ride up throughout the day?

Oh I never heard of them, thanks. How far down your leg do they go? Do they ride up throughout the day?

They're most of the way down your calf, but not as far as your knee. Because there's a nice soft stretch in them, they don't really ride up the way shapewear does.
    I only heard about them when I overheard a salesperson telling another customer about them.

• Advertisement

They're most of the way down your calf, but not as far as your knee. Because there's a nice soft stretch in them, they don't really ride up the way shapewear does.
    I only heard about them when I overheard a salesperson telling another customer about them.

Thanks missusj - have you a link for them? PM me if you want

Thanks missusj - have you a link for them? PM me if you want

https://m.evans.co.uk/en/evuk/product/2-pack-black-comfort-shorts-6452447

Hope that link works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I used to have problems with chafing in humid heat, so I feel your pain. For chafing, you could try this chafing gel. I’ve used body glide in the past but I didn’t care for it. Funnily enough, the best thing I’ve used for chafing is make up primer, so if you find a cheap one or have a tester hanging around, try that.

If you want a longer-lasting solution, there’s Bandalettes (www.bandalettes.com). They’re a band of material that you wear around the top of your thighs, like the top of hold ups. They’re really useful if you’re moving a lot (eg walking) because you don’t need to worry about reapplication etc. They’re also quite comfortable, from what I remember, and they stay in place well. They’re not bulky like shorts so you can wear them under anything and they won’t make you hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Bodyglide is great, I used it on a 2 week holiday last year. I lived in dresses the whole time and didn't have any chafing. It works great for your feet too, if you're inclined to chafe in places without socks.

The normal Bodyglide in the blue container is exactly the same as the pink "for her" stuff and it's often cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Regarding the chafing issue, I'll second Bandelettes as suggested by Faith. I bought two pairs when she recommended them previously and I never bother with anything else now. I've tried a roll on stick too, can't remember what it was called, but I didn't think it lasted very long.

I've brought those shavers/blades with me before, never had any issues. You can buy them pretty much anywhere so if security don't like it you could just buy some on holidays I guess.

I wouldn't bother with fake tan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LizzeyBenett

Hi all,

rub a deo stick on the area where you get chafing and just throw it in your bag if you will be out and about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I find the best for chaffing is baby powder. Simple, cheap and very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm a big fan of Lanacane for the chafing. I've been using it for years. It can be hard enough to find, but I got it delivered next day from these guys this year...it's a god send in this weather. 
    https://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-28g/lanacane1508

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'd give the tan a miss. It's really not necessary

Advertisement