Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD 50e off car insurance if you use a dashcam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I remember a time when claims did get settled before the advent of dash cams.

They still do, not to everyone's satisfaction because they could not prove what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bazz26 wrote:
    But if you accept a discount for a dash cam then you have to adhere to the terms and conditions of that discount.

That's the same on my home insurance policy. I don't claim the discount for having an alarm. If you forget to set it & you are broken into they don't pay out at all

Sleeper12 wrote:
    That's the same on my home insurance policy. I don't claim the discount for having an alarm. If you forget to set it & you are broken into they don't pay out at all

Most insurers just increase the excess if your home is burgled and your alarm is not in operation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most insurers just increase the excess if your home is burgled and your alarm is not in operation

The advice on the Home Security forum is to never put your alarm system on your home insurance. It just gives them an excuse not to pay out or to pay out less.

BTW if you put your alarm on the insurance, it not only has to be used at all times, but you also need to get it maintained once a year by a licensed alarm installer which is €€€ anyway. If you don't, it is again grounds for not paying out or paying out less. Just not worth it and most people don't realise this.

Of course have an alarm and have a dashcam, but never declare them, you are just making life harder for yourself.

Best bet for discounts is to simply move company once a year.

bk wrote: »
    It just gives them an excuse not to pay out or to pay out less.

How is it an 'excuse', if you accept a reduced premium in turn for agreeing to keep an operational and maintained alarm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BTW if you put your alarm on the insurance, it not only has to be used at all times, but you also need to get it maintained once a year by a licensed alarm installer which is €€€ anyway. If you don't, it is again grounds for not paying out or paying out less. Just not worth it and most people don't realise this.

They usually ask if you have your alarm under a maintenance contract, so if you answer No, you get a lesser discount but you don't need to have a maintenance contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How is it an 'excuse', if you accept a reduced premium in turn for agreeing to keep an operational and maintained alarm?

Just because an alarm system is maintained once a year, doesn't mean it won't fail in between those maintenance windows.

But most importantly, in the real world, I see most people don't fully use their alarm. Non of the people I know use it when home during the day. Most only use it when out and some at night, but not all even then.

Now you might argue that it is their own fault for not "operating" it properly. But that is human nature, we all do silly things.

You save so little by adding an alarm system to your insurance, it really isn't worth it. Just shop around, you'll save money.
    They usually ask if you have your alarm under a maintenance contract, so if you answer No, you get a lesser discount but you don't need to have a maintenance contract.

You still risk not paying out because you simply forget to turn it on. Best not to include any alarm at all.

BTW Just looking on FBD the options are:
    - No alarm
    - Standard Alarm
    - Alarm Connected to Call Center

Reading theirs T&C's document it says:
    In addition any alarms must be properly maintained and used correctly if we have allowed a discount on your premium for them or they are a condition of cover.

So it seems even the "Standard Alarm" options most be maintained and used.

123.ie has this to say:

https://www.123.ie/customer-care/before-you-insure/how-can-i-reduce-my-premium/will-an-alarm-system-reduce-annual-premium
    You can get a discount for having an approved intruder alarm system installed in your home.

In order to be approved a burglar alarm must be installed by a company that is compliant with all regulations under both the Private Securities Agency and current European standards. The alarm itself must also comply with the current European standard.

Alarms which have not been installed by a regulated company are excluded.

If you notify us that you have an alarm, an alarm clause will automatically be put on your policy.

These include conditions that must be met at all times otherwise you may not be fully covered. You will need to check the endorsements section of your insurance schedule to see if an alarm clause has been applied.

How many people out their have old alarm systems, that might have been installed prior to the current PSA + European standards and don't get it regularly maintained by a PSA registered person and add it to their policy not realising it means they won't be fully covered!

Final point, the cost of yearly maintenance in most cases will be much higher then the reduction gives you. So it just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You still risk not paying out because you simply forget to turn it on. .
    How are they going to know whether you turned it on or not - for a non-monitored alarm?

Advertisement