Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Liberty Insurance is doing well...

Options
  • 04-06-2018 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Was in Ashford Castle today. When we went to go in around the castle we were told it was off limits. Liberty insurance had booked the place out for 4 days. They must have stumped up some amount well in advance to book up the castle for the June bank holiday weekend...!!

So how's your car insurance premium these days...???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,255 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Burn the place down?

Maybe there insured by Liberty Insurance?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like they’re taking liberties booking that out for a weekend. The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

I actually find them to be pretty reasonable, although that's just me. No idea if I'm an outlier or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

They're taking liberties, f**kin cheek.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

50,000 Employees and 38.3 billion USD in revenue in 2016. They are doing very well.

People really need to understand that insurance companies are not your friends. They are businesses. They are out to make money. The nicest office in any city you visit will be the insurance firm and their associated banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Have been with Liberty from the Quinn Direct days. First year they weren’t well below other quotes in about 6 years. Never even tried to match the other quote. They had no problem with losing the 2 policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ironclaw wrote: »
    50,000 Employees and 38.3 billion USD in revenue in 2016. They are doing very well.

People really need to understand that insurance companies are not your friends. They are businesses. They are out to make money. The nicest office in any city you visit will be the insurance firm and their associated banks.

It's a lucrative business to get into, especially if your greatest salesman is the govt.

The law states that vehicles must be insured if you wish to use them on public road after all.

I'd be in favour of the state offering some insurance policies for motors, like they do in Australia for example.

Would definitely put some manners on the insurance cartels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

UsBus wrote: »
    Was in Ashford Castle today. When we went to go in around the castle we were told it was off limits. Liberty insurance had booked the place out for 4 days. They must have stumped up some amount well in advance to book up the castle for the June bank holiday weekend...!!

Lots of corporate events on this weekend and to rub it in they can write off the cost of the event..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sounds like I sold my soul to the wrong corporate entity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have an insurance ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have been driving for almost 30 years, no accidents, no claims, no penalty points, full NCB and Quinn and now Liberty have always given me utterly ridiculous quotations sometimes in excess of twice what I end up paying. I don’t even bother with them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You must be doing very well if you can afford to go to Ashford castle on a bank holiday week. Your car insurance premium for the year would probably cost as much as a double room for a night. As for Liberty, hard to know how much the weekend costs them or who is paying for it. Do you know? Might be a group from the US operation who is over here for the weekend doing some team building. Might have absolutely nothing to do with their Irish operation at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

And they on marajane also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Lots of corporate events on this weekend and to rub it in they can write off the cost of the event..

Nope. Not any more

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a lucrative business to get into, especially if your greatest salesman is the govt.

The law states that vehicles must be insured if you wish to use them on public road after all.

I'd be in favour of the state offering some insurance policies for motors, like they do in Australia for example.

Would definitely put some manners on the insurance cartels.

I'm usually the last one to defend the likes of insurance companies but it does makes you wonder if the insurance game is so lucrative here then why aren't the other thousands of insurance companies around the world not queueing up to enter the "lucrative" Irish insurance market?

Between the compensation culture capitalising on ridiculous levels of injury payouts being handed out by the injury claim board, the ambulance chasing legal profession who stand to benefit more from higher payouts and insurance companies who just settle rather than risk losing more money in court I'd doubt verify much the Irish insurance market is as lucrative as is generally perceived.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm usually the last one to defend the likes of insurance companies but it does makes you wonder if the insurance game is so lucrative here then why aren't the other thousands of insurance companies around the world not queueing up to enter the "lucrative" Irish insurance market?

Because it's not really that lucrative. I worked on the pricing and claims side of insurance for years. Irish people seem to think that the rise in premiums automatically leads to an increase in profits for the insurer. They love to ignore factors like the cost of claims, for starters. Think about how much this claim cost, after all the legal fees, costs of claim handling at the firms etc were added up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

They quoted me €3,000 last year for my car insurance. Almost 3.5 times what I was on with my current insurance and twice as much as any new quotes from other companies. 9 years driving (including learner period), 8 years no claims in own name, 0 penalty points. They can quite literally suck diesel for all I care.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The Australian government doesn't offer insurance policies.This is a common misunderstanding.
    Insurance is optional in Australia but when a person pays their registration fee(motor tax) they are covered if they damage someone's property such a house or if they kill someone in a car accident. It doesn't cover any damage to other cars or injuries so it doesn't work like an insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Between the compensation culture capitalising on ridiculous levels of injury payouts being handed out by the injury claim board, the ambulance chasing legal profession who stand to benefit more from higher payouts and insurance companies who just settle rather than risk losing more money in court I'd doubt verify much the Irish insurance market is as lucrative as is generally perceived.

Because it’s a closed shop in Ireland, they make it practically impossible for new entrants.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/insurance-market-raises-barriers-to-new-entrants-ksmvmbjd2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Because it’s a closed shop in Ireland, they make it practically impossible for new entrants.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/insurance-market-raises-barriers-to-new-entrants-ksmvmbjd2

No barrier whatsoever for entry. Any European insurer can underwrite here and many do via brokers.

Don't believe the sh1te in the media.

If you got rid of scammers, egged on by a select group of solicitors, you'd have far cheaper insurance.

• Advertisement

No, it's not. Can't read the full article but I'm guessing that they are talking about the regulatory requirements that new operators need to fulfill. Plenty of people in Ireland have insurance via brokers who act on behalf of insurers outside of the RoI. You may recall hearing about an insurer called Zenith who pulled out of the Irish market a year or two back because they were losing money, as a result of the cost of claims. They are based in Gibraltar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

CeilingFly wrote: »
    No barrier whatsoever for entry. Any European insurer can underwrite here and many do via brokers.

Don't believe the sh1te in the media.

If you got rid of scammers, egged on by a select group of solicitors, you'd have far cheaper insurance.
    Berserker wrote: »
    No, it's not. Can't read the full article but I'm guessing that they are talking about the regulatory requirements that new operators need to fulfill. Plenty of people in Ireland have insurance via brokers who act on behalf of insurers outside of the RoI. You may recall hearing about an insurer called Zenith who pulled out of the Irish market a year or two back because they were losing money, as a result of the cost of claims. They are based in Gibraltar.
    A major investigation by the European Commission into motor insurance in Ireland is focusing on allegations that the industry has created obstacles for new players to enter the market.

Major investigation is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

50% cheaper than the next cheapest quote so much so when I told a broker he told me stop looking and take what they said. Must be drinking prosseco rather than champagne this weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The Irish have the softest necks in Europe.
    This if course has absolutely "nothing" to do with the fact that payouts here are a multiple of what you will receive anywhere else.
    The slightest twinge in the neck in Ireland is rewarded with €12-15k, in Germany you'd get around €2k, if even that.
    Why? Because the level of payout goes by real, actual injuries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/most-whiplash-claims-are-frankly-spurious-gp-body-says-1.3405144

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irelands-whiplash-claims-higher-than-many-in-europe-817619.html

https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/compo-culture-and-big-payouts-are-leading-to-surge-in-premiums-31492649.html

Solicitors are stoking a compo culture and everyone is paying for it.
    I drive a 13 year old 2 liter diesel in Germany and it costs around 500 to insure and it will get cheaper next year because I've built up more no claims history.
    Solicitors will be along now to very pointedly point out that award levels have nothing whatsoever to do with insurance levels, well, no one likes having their soup pissed into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Major investigation is ongoing.

You would think that they would have reported something by now if they found anything substantial, the amount of time they had had the information from their "raid"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Solicitors will be along now to very pointedly point out that award levels have nothing whatsoever to do with insurance levels, well, no one likes having their soup pissed into.
    Oh for too long too much of a percentage of the Irish law class have been gouging Irish people and businesses and the insurance biz is the perfect example, but they're not the only ones to blame.

There are the soft Irish necks you mentioned, though that's as much a symptom of the legal culture. You will always have people who will exploit such a culture. If Germans or Swedes or whomever got the same types of awards in court the same percentage would be complaining of sore necks.

The insurance companies have their issues and no mistake. Corporate bloat, stupid investments and a lack of transparency. The latter a big one. Take those award levels. They only release the figures awarded in court settlements, they keep the out of court settlement figures hidden. Those figures are the majority of settlements. Now given they will settle out of court more than they won't it stands to reason it's cheaper to do so, but we, the Irish public who have to pay as a legal requirement car insurance are left out of that loop. There's also the oddly mirrored policies of the insurance industry. So when one says no more cars over ten/fifteen years old the others do similar. Coincidence I'm sure...

Lastly the government. Successive Dails have sat by and watched the insurance industry make screw up after screw up and watched prices rise and effectively did nothing. Too many vested interests; the legal profession, the car industry, the insurance industry. The vested interest that voted them in, IE us are way down the list.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm usually the last one to defend the likes of insurance companies but it does makes you wonder if the insurance game is so lucrative here then why aren't the other thousands of insurance companies around the world not queueing up to enter the "lucrative" Irish insurance market?.

Because https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0517/964061-motor-insurance-investigation/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Know,I'm insured by them,up again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

my cars over 15 years old, only crowd that will insure me cause I'm with them already !!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 23 Skobey_brady

Insurance is inherently profitable as the customer is legally obliged to buy the product on sale

Advertisement