Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater on timer

Options
  • 02-06-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

We recently had a timer added to our immersion to heat the water so have two panels- one with bath sink and on off switches then the timer.

I want to heat the water between 6-8am so have set the time to this but do I also need to switch the other panel to on for it to work? I’m worried that putting the switch to on will mean it will be on all the time.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Chose whether you want lots of hot water (bath) or less (sink) then set your timer. You will only be heating the water for the time you set on the timer. Keep reducing the timer period until you get to where a certain time will give you the amount of hot water you need. Note that this will be longer in the winter than summer (due to difference in starting temperature.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

Ok so should I leave the other switch beside the sink and bath to off or on?

I left it at off and switched the timer on for 2 hours this morning on sink and we don’t have any hot water.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to leave the old on/off switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

Great thanks so the timer will override the on off switch and I don’t have to turn it off?

Sorry for what seem like silly questions we had a totally different timer in our apartment that didn’t have on off as well as timer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There could be a few different ways that the timer is wired. If it’s wired at the supply side of you existing bath/sink switch then advice above works.
    If (for some unknown reason) the timer is wired to the output side of that switch, three or maybe even more different configurations are possible.

Leave the existing switch on and timer off and then check that the top of the cylinder isn’t getting hot. Do this with bath and then sink, about half an hour each should test it. If not heating during this test, then you are good to go with the first couple of answers to your first post.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement