Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents' Association contributions

Options
  • 02-06-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My local residents association collects a fee each year to cover the cost of grass cutting for the public green space within the estate. This year the usual letter came out asking for the fee and was accompanied with a separate sheet giving the addresses of all those who paid.
    Obviously informing all residents of those who didn't contribute. Is this legal?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did people consent to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mitchel44

No, no consent was asked for or given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Fair played to them, too many 181/182 cars in the drives of some of my neighbours who refuse to contribute to our estates keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Is an address on its own personal information? What is the identifying personal information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mitchel44 wrote: »
    No, no consent was asked for or given.

How do you know?

I'm a resident of the estate! I was not asked if I consented to my address being published on the letter in question, so I am presuming (maybe wrongly) those who did not contribute also did not give consent.

I'm a resident of the estate! I was not asked if I consented to my address being published on the letter in question, so I am presuming (maybe wrongly) those who did not contribute also did not give consent.
    Why are you upset? Surely you should be knocking on your freeloading neighbours doors asking why they are making you pay for beautifying their estate

I'm not upset in the slightest. I was merely inquiring as to the legality of the letter with the new laws introduced.
    Further, I would never knock on a neighbours door, or anyone else's door for that matter begging for money as I do not know their financial status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

If you didn't consent to your name and address (personal data) being published and distributed around your estate then this is a breach of the GDPR regulations.

I would make a complaint to the data comissioner and get them fined

• Advertisement

sexmag wrote: »
    If you didn't consent to your name and address (personal data) being published and distributed around your estate then this is a breach of the GDPR regulations.

I would make a complaint to the data comissioner and get them fined

Only the address was published according to the OP- not the name.

I'm not upset in the slightest. I was merely inquiring as to the legality of the letter with the new laws introduced.
    Further, I would never knock on a neighbours door, or anyone else's door for that matter begging for money as I do not know their financial status.

Well good luck then in terms of keeping your grass in your estate nice and tidy and keeping the estate known as a good estate which in turn, influences the price of the properties in your estate.

I'd be only delighted if some people took it upon themselves to rally the home owners to get the estate looking nice and tidy. I've experienced this in the past and it creates a lovely homely atmosphere where neighbours get to know each other a bit but also, keeps the place looking nice.

Well good luck then in terms of keeping your grass in your estate nice and tidy and keeping the estate known as a good estate which in turn, influences the price of the properties in your estate.

I'd be only delighted if some people took it upon themselves to rally the home owners to get the estate looking nice and tidy. I've experienced this in the past and it creates a lovely homely atmosphere where neighbours get to know each other a bit but also, keeps the place looking nice.

As the op maybe some people can't afford the extra expense.

Op my advice is go out one day a month with your lawnmower if you have one and cut some grass in the estate, if not then do some weed cleaning and plant trimming and whatever else you can to keep the place nice and if anyone says anything again say you put your time in instead of your money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Fair played to them, too many 181/182 cars in the drives of some of my neighbours who refuse to contribute to our estates keep up.

182 won’t be coming till July but I get your point.

We get people trying to not pay for all types of reasons...oh I don’t face a green, no, but little Johnny plays football there at every hands turn.

They were also talking about publishing the address of those who paid, rather than those who didn’t, so there must be something in that.

One woman would not Pay and said she could not afford it but had a family holiday for 3 weeks in Florida.

Ours is 10 per month.

anewme wrote: »
    One woman would not Pay and said she could not afford it but had a family holiday for 3 weeks in Florida.

Ours is 10 per month.

Could have won it,her family paid for it or saved her ass off.

You can't assume about anything and your post is a bit snobby

As the op maybe some people can't afford the extra expense.

If you're going to have estate cleaning, then the only way from an accounts perspective is be open and honest around what house numbers have paid and which ones didn't.

My past experience of living in a private estate is that people went around door to door and asked people first if they'd be interested and at what cost they would be prepared to contribute. If someone had an issue, I'm sure that could be worked through and an arrangement put in place. The OP hasn't stated that they're short of money.

Ours is 10 per month.

I've yet to see a competition for a Florida holiday that one enters without having purchased either a ticket or some form of goods/services. Please direct me to these free competitions immediately.

No she didn’t win it, she told the neighbors how much it was costing her and was boasting about having a private villa and the pool blah blah blah. That’s what pissed ppl off.

I’m not a snob, I work very hard for what I have and am not willing to subside others.

We do nt have a management company and he Residents assoc fees are 10 a Month. The committee are unpaid. I appreciate their work.

I've yet to see a competition for a Florida holiday that one enters without having purchased either a ticket or some form of goods/services. Please direct me to these free competitions immediately.

https://competitions.independent.ie/win-two-flights-to-anywhere-on-the-turkish-airline-global-network.html

http://www.enjoyireland.ie/win

Not exactly Florida but it can happen and sure if you won flights to Florida and were cash strapped would you rather the money goes towards your estate fees or your holiday

My point is don't assume

If you're going to have estate cleaning, then the only way from an accounts perspective is be open and honest around what house numbers have paid and which ones didn't.

My past experience of living in a private estate is that people went around door to door and asked people first if they'd be interested and at what cost they would be prepared to contribute. If someone had an issue, I'm sure that could be worked through and an arrangement put in place. The OP hasn't stated that they're short of money.

What's wrong with people putting their time on to do the work instead of paying fees?

• Advertisement

No she didn’t win it, she told the neighbors how much it was costing her and was boasting about having a private villa and the pool blah blah blah. That’s what pissed ppl off.

I’m not a snob, I work very hard for what I have and am not willing to subside others.

We do nt have a management company and he Residents assoc fees are 10 a Month. The committee are unpaid. I appreciate their work.

Part 3 of my first sentence then. Again my other point still stands.

People can.be freeeloaders but not everyone who doesn't pay for something is

https://competitions.independent.ie/win-two-flights-to-anywhere-on-the-turkish-airline-global-network.html

http://www.enjoyireland.ie/win

Not exactly Florida but it can happen and sure if you won flights to Florida and were cash strapped would you rather the money goes towards your estate fees or your holiday

My point is don't assume

In this instance the person told her neighbor how much she was Paying.

It was not far short of 8k. But she could not afford 10 a month.

I suppose it’s about priorities.

Part 3 of my first sentence then. Again my other point still stands.

People can.be freeeloaders but not everyone who doesn't pay for something is

And of course that’s true.

Others have the same examples of the new car people who can’t afford it.

Our RA had a policy during the crash of not asking people who were out of work. No one minds paying if others can’t, but majority in our area are won’t pay rather than can’t pay.

Incidentally, one man who wasn’t working organized the clean up and gave his time. That’s more than fair enough.

In this instance the person told her neighbor how much she was Paying.

It was not far short of 8k. But she could not afford 10 a month.

I suppose it’s about priorities.

Your last sentence is right.

Could be her only holiday in years, still plenty of reasons, I don't know them or their circumstances so won't judge.

I know my experiences and there was a time that 10 euro was my weekly shop for Tesco value food after my mortgage and other expenses were paid. I made it go a long way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why is it their jobs to contribute to the estates upkeep? If they dont want to they dont have to.

Also bollox on the 182

godtabh wrote: »
    Why is it their jobs to contribute to the estates upkeep? If they dont want to they dont have to.

Also bollox on the 182

Then it goes back to the original question I suppose.?

If you don’t want to pay pay, do you have any comeback legally about being omitted on on a list of house numbers of those who do pay.

Then it goes back to the original question I suppose.?

If you don’t pay, do you have any comeback legally about being omitted on on a list of those who do pay.

No provided it's only the address and not personal identifying details but ultimately at the end of the day is it really an issue that its published an address didn't a voluntary pay a fee?

Edit: sorry you said omitted, no you can't argue you weren't put on a list of people who paid when you didn't but again who really cares about being omitted. Anyone who goes through a list to see who didn't pay is a busy body anyway and it won't really have an effect on anyone

My local residents association collects a fee each year to cover the cost of grass cutting for the public green space within the estate. This year the usual letter came out asking for the fee and was accompanied with a separate sheet giving the addresses of all those who paid.
    Obviously informing all residents of those who didn't contribute. Is this legal?

I like the sound of your residence association, no BS.

Keep it real

No provided it's only the address and not personal identifying details but ultimately at the end of the day is it really an issue that its published an address didn't a voluntary pay a fee?

Edit: sorry you said omitted, no you can't argue you weren't put on a list of people who paid when you didn't but again who really cares about being omitted

That’s my point.

I remember our estate did not do this in the end for fear that a genuine case could be included.

Those with brass necks who did not want to pay would not give a crap where they were or were not published, but if there was someone who could not pay, they would be upset have have added necessary stress over it.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with people putting their time on to do the work instead of paying fees?

I never said there was anything wrong but you're obviously gunning for a fight here on this thread. :)

Advertisement