Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I allowed to wear a balaclava in public

Options
  • 01-06-2018 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

If I am cold, sick or have scars. Can I wear a balaclava everywhere I go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wear a balaclava on freezing cold days when I'm on my bike. I could leave it on if I nipped into a shop for a minute on the way but I wouldn't cause I think that would be rude and a little bit creepy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

I think there is a law about covering your face with camouflage in certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just say it's your religious believe that you need to wear a balaclava when outside, anyone says anything and it's religious discrimination. There's no definition of religion in our laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

worded wrote: »
    I think there is a law about covering your face with camouflage in certain situations.

there is no such law in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,169 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just say it's your religious believe that you need to wear a balaclava when outside, anyone says anything and it's religious discrimination. There's no definition of religion in our laws.
    And nor is there any law which says that you can only wear a balaclava for religious reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,169 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can generally wear it anywhere. If you're entering someone else's premises, they can ask you to take it off. Banks often do this, for obvious reasons. However if you have a particular reason for wearing it indoors and you explain it to them, people will generally be flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

As Peregrinus said, going into banks and similar institutions isn't allowed, like motorbike helmets. Most others should be okay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Here yes, but don't you dare try that **** in Denmark :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

You just tell them you've a drop of tea in your mouth and your trying to keep it warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

If you really are sick or very ill, it's vitally important that you wear a balaclava (woollen) all the time, particularly in bed.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

As long as you're not in a bank,shop, petrol station,my back garden, definitely not my back garden 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Of course you're allowed, just be prepared for all of the friendly looks and smiles as you go about your business.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

EPAndlee wrote: »
    You just tell them you've a drop of tea in your mouth and your trying to keep it warm

You cannot loiter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

As long as you're not in a bank,shop, petrol station,my back garden, definitely not my back garden ��

Amin Yashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

EPAndlee wrote: »

But if you have the tea in your mouth how are you going to tell them?
    Maybe wear one of those sandwich boards and have it written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Just seen dead pool 2 did ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, I would advise you to only wear your balaclava at home, or at meetings with KKK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are you heading to a republican funeral OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldnt risk it...then again I have a very thick northern ireland accent....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here is an interesting slant, given the other thread also re face veils..

I have a very depleted immune system and as has been seen the last weeks, infections are dangerous to me.

So I need to wear a surgical mask in public but in a repressive country who ban face coverings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

mikeecho wrote:
    there is no such law in ireland.

You can't enter a government building with any headwear on that hides your face

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Balaclavas should be mandatory for about 25% of Irish women

:pac:

Advertisement