Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law re: wearing camouflage, or obscuring face in public?

Options
  • 19-11-2006 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

there's a bit of a discussion going on in the Politics forum spawned from an article about the Dutch gvmt backing a ban of burkas in public places.

I'm just wondering what the law over here is with regards wearing clothes which hide the identity like a burka or a balaclava.

I would assume that there it has not been outlawed, but that it's up to each private establishment whether or not they allow people to wear balaclavas or burkas.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it. If I were to walk into a Garda station tomorrow with a balaclava on, could I be charged with anything?

Thanks!

EDIT:

If the case is that there is no such regulation, then should there be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This nearly falls under the Muslim shroud debate in Britain :?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

More like the Denmark (sorry not Denmark, proposed Netherlands ban) or French bans...

edit: got a country wrong.

To answer the OP's question about the balaclava I think Garda stations (banks etc.) have a proviso where they ask everyone to remove their headgear to enter the premises - if you don't you would trespassing on private property and they could eject you I suppose. If you don't leave then you are breaking the law as a trespasser and could be arrested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Overheal wrote:
    This nearly falls under the Muslim shroud debate in Britain :?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017155
    Thirdfox wrote:
    To answer the OP's question about the balaclava I think Garda stations (banks etc.) have a proviso where they ask everyone to remove their headgear to enter the premises - if you don't you would trespassing on private property and they could eject you I suppose. If you don't leave then you are breaking the law as a trespasser and could be arrested...

Thanks for that. You got a link to any specific legislation that deals with this? I suppose you're trespassing if the owner of the premises asks you to leave and you don't. But in and of itself wearing a balaclava in public is not an offence?

Do you have a link to the trespassing legislation? Can't find it on irishstatutebook.ie! doh!

Sorry, I don't know the exact legislation that deals with this (I'll let someone older and wiser answer you!)

But I'm sure there's legislation that makes it criminally illegal for you to trespassing on someone's land.

I don't know of any specific Irish legislation dealing with what one can or cannot wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

OP there is no law against people wearing a balaclava or hoodie to disguise their faces. However if u walked into a business premises such as a shop and u refuse to remove it when requested, the shop owners/employees have the right to eject you. If it was a garda station you entered it is the same deal. If you refused to leave the station or shop you can be arrested under Section 8 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994. On conviction to fine up to 635euro and/or 6mths in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

section 13 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 criminalises tresspassing in certain situations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA2Y1994S13.html

It shall be an offence for a person, without reasonable excuse, to trespass on any building or the curtilage thereof in such a manner as causes or is likely to cause fear in another person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jermiah

Next step will be to ban Santa wearing his beard. Where will it all end?

Advertisement