Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unexpected registered post - what is it???? Am I getting arrested

Options
  • 31-05-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I came home from work to a letter saying that I had missed the delivery of a registered letter. It was too late to collect it this evening so I have to wait until the morning before work to get it.

I'm seriously panicking, who would send me registered post? The letter was delivered to my house in Dublin and I've only been living here since october so a lot of my post still gets delivered home to Waterford.

The only things delivered here are my bank, who regularly send important letters and never by registered post; m car insurance, who also often send letters and documents by normal post; my revenue is registered here for work reasons too. Dublin City council have my address too for parking permits.

I'm on the register of electors at home and voted at home last week so it can't be jury duty. My car tax is still registered at home too so any speeding offences would go there and wouldn't be delivered to Dublin.

Is it a court summons?? Is there any way the gardai could have my address if I'm not registered up here?

I'm seriously racking my brain trying to think of any crimes I've committed accidentally in the last few months. Please someone put my mind at ease

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

panicking wrote: »
    I came home from work to a letter saying that I had missed the delivery of a registered letter. It was too late to collect it this evening so I have to wait until the morning before work to get it.

I'm seriously panicking, who would send me registered post? The letter was delivered to my house in Dublin and I've only been living here since october so a lot of my post still gets delivered home to Waterford.

The only things delivered here are my bank, who regularly send important letters and never by registered post; m car insurance, who also often send letters and documents by normal post; my revenue is registered here for work reasons too. Dublin City council have my address too for parking permits.

I'm on the register of electors at home and voted at home last week so it can't be jury duty. My car tax is still registered at home too so any speeding offences would go there and wouldn't be delivered to Dublin.

Is it a court summons?? Is there any way the gardai could have my address if I'm not registered up here?

I'm seriously racking my brain trying to think of any crimes I've committed accidentally in the last few months. Please someone put my mind at ease

Did you miss a direct debit on the car insurance? They usually send a reminder by registered post.

Edit - If your car is registered in Waterford but the insurance is in Dublin it may throw up a red flag.

Bet you it is from whoever you have car insurance with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

9 times out of 10 it's an electric razor, but once in a while it's a dildo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Test results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Are you renting? If yes, it could be from your landlord.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tv license summons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 panicking

I did miss direct debit payment for insurance but they sent letters by normal post and I called them to sort it out. I'm with Liberty Insurance. Maybe they send them by registered post as a formality too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Speeding fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Cuddly toy.

I'm renting but landlord lives next door and see him every day or two so don't think it's anything from him. Don't have a TV either

kneemos wrote: »
    Speeding fine.

Would this not be sent where my car is registered? My tax is down in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

FFS......I want my 10seconds back...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

mad m wrote: »
    FFS......I want my 10seconds back...

Is that what she said?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I doubt it’s anything of benefit to you.

I would not be in a hurry to collect...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pack your bag and go tonight.

We've been building a case for the past 6 months.

Don't use any phones or computers, everything is tapped.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Did you miss a direct debit on the car insurance? They usually send a reminder by registered post.

Edit - If your car is registered in Waterford but the insurance is in Dublin it may throw up a red flag.

Bet you it is from whoever you have car insurance with.

Hmmm that could be it. Praying it's something like that and not a fine or court summons!

Hmmm...could it be an... old safe...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I did miss direct debit payment for insurance but they sent letters by normal post and I called them to sort it out. I'm with Liberty Insurance. Maybe they send them by registered post as a formality too?

They do. It may be a receipt for the payment if you paid by card.

I would check your policy also as I am 99% sure the address on the policy must match the address the vehicle is registered at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Same happened me lately. Was wrecking my head thinking what could it be. I had an engagement ring on insurance policy and cancelled it over phone, and they sent registered letter with confirmation afterwards. Was nt expecting it as had received email confirmation from them immediately after call.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it near your birthday or anniversary? Have a generous relative abroad?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A litter fine for €150.00?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Is that what she said?

Yore maaaaa....(classic response)

Hmmm that could be it. Praying it's something like that and not a fine or court summons!

You dont have to collect it.

It will be returned to sender.

What you don’t know can’t hurt you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

At the time when all the liberals were saying they’d take a refugee into their house did you jump on the bandwagon?

I hear they are calling in the favor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If you had a jury duty summons to your address down the country, which you've missed, is it possible the Gardaí tracked you down and issued a summons to your Dublin address?

anewme wrote: »
    You dont have to collect it.

It will be returned to sender.

What you don’t know can’t hurt you.

I actually think it would haunt me for the rest of my life if I don't find out haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

could be jury duty yeah.

fxotoole wrote: »
    If you had a jury duty summons to your address down the country, which you've missed, is it possible the Gardaí tracked you down and issued a summons to your Dublin address?

My address down the country is my parents house so they would've told me if there's post there for me.

I've a typical Irish mammy who calls and asks will she open my post for me after she's already read it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would this not be sent where my car is registered? My tax is down in Waterford

Where you live when you buy the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rumors are going around the Internet that Twink is sending people registered letters encouraging people to vote for for in the up coming presidency election!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Fair enough, but is there a chance she might have missed an item of post?

Advertisement