Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could go into a three way with us, cork and Tipp for 2nd/3rd place and score difference will decide it

Vs Westmeath
    Tipp won by 17
    Cork won by 4
    We won by 9

For that to happen, we would have to lose both our final matches to Tipp and Limerick and Tipp and Cork would have to beat Galway in Galway which is realistically possible.
    Our scoring difference would definitely be lower than Tipp in this case as it already is 5 worse and as we are just 8 better off than Cork at this stage, there's a fair chance it would be worse than theirs.
    We just have to get something out of either match.

I wouldn't be inspired by our performances so far in attack but the defense seems to be an area where there has been some improvements. There is competition for places and our strength in depth there may lead to some players playing further up the pitch.

McNulty has nailed down a corner back slot and Prunty is assured at full back. Options in the half back line look decent with Callum Lyons, Austin Gleeson and Iarlaith Daly being possibly the preferred 3 at present but then again, if fit, Darragh Fives is certainly an option with Lyons possibly going to corner back. Then we also have to welcome back TDB, another option in the halfback line and I think Moran's time as a midfielder is gone but perhaps an option a wing back. Conor Gleeson and Shane Fives will probably fight it out for the other corner-back spot if Lyons isn't moved back. Lyons offers the attacking option from wing back so possibly won't be.

At midfield we again have options. Barron is a definite starter and you have the possibility of Jack Prender, Conor Gleeson, Jake Dillon, Darragh Lyons, Kieran Bennett or even pushing the likes of Daly or TDB to midfield due to our strength in defense. I wouldn't play Austin Gleeson there despite his good form at midfield for Mount Sion. I just think the game bypasses him there and he struggles to get on enough ball or under puckouts.

My area for concern is upfront as we haven't had players perform to a level in this league that you would be guaranteeing them a jersey. Mahony at 11 and Bennett at 14 are certs but around them, we have had options but I fear that they are not at the level of Tipp, Cork, Limerick and Clare. Cahill seems to like hardworking, physical wing forwards and Fagan and Montgomery have been in favour as they fit the bill but they contribute little to the scoreboard. Kieran Bennett and Jack Prender are other options and it's real pity Kieran picked up the injury after his performance against Cork. Anyone who seen him in last year's western championship for Ballysaggart would have seen his potential as a scorer as he contributed to heavily.

Inside alongside Stephen Bennett, again nobody has stood up to say, "I have to start". We have seen glimpses from Curran and I think Dessie Hutchinson needs time to get to intercounty level and the pace of it but aside from Peter Hogan and Billy Power, we lack inside forwards even on the panel. I would have concerns of where Waterford will get the scores from going into the summer, particularly if Stephen Bennett is kept quiet.

This time last year there was a lot of positivity after coming through a weak 1B and then later overcoming a Clare team with no interest and a misfiring Galway side before getting a true reflection of where we were at against Limerick in Croker.

I fear that these wins are again disguising our true form and level but to Cahill's credit, there are only positive murmurings from the camp this year and Waterford now seem to be a much harder working outfit with the clintal he has picked. There has to significant improvement and consistency upfront if Waterford are to reach the level of our counterparts in Munster this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

I thought Sunday was a workman's performance, nothing flash just a desire to work hard. Some of the lads returning did look rusty and ran out of legs towards the end. While Galway missed 12 scoring chances, we left behind at least 1 goal possibly a second when monty was pulled down on the way through. We also hit some very poor wides from the bank side in 2nd half. All in all you would have to be happy with work ethic. Anything from last 2 games and we have at least another game which will be great for the squad. A little worried about inside forward line but it is early days yet. Both teams were credited with points that were as wide as a barn door. Fergal Horgan should have done better. While I thought James Owens pulled up too much, judging by the other games he seems to have done a lot better than the rest of refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Parishman wrote: »
    we left behind at least 1 goal possibly a second when monty was pulled down on the way through.

Monty was also pulled down on the way through against Cork. And some people would argue that hurling doesn't have a problem with cynical fouling. They mustn't have ever seen Kilkenny in action. The proposed black card would quickly put an end to this kind of foul. Alternatively, I like the suggestion that a cynical foul anywhere inside the 20 metre line should be penalised with a penalty shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

No black card, 20m penalty is a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 38,148 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick game officially set for Sat 7th March at 7pm in the Gaelic Grounds

QFs fixed for the weekend after I imagine. If we do qualify it will be home game for us if against Clare/Wexford or Kilkenny and a coin toss for venue if against Dublin

Be a good crowd in Walsh Park if its Wexford or kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Limerick game officially set for Sat 7th March at 7pm in the Gaelic Grounds

QFs fixed for the weekend after I imagine. If we do qualify it will be home game for us if against Clare/Wexford or Kilkenny and a coin toss for venue if against Dublin

Be a good crowd in Walsh Park if its Wexford or kilkenny

A game v Wexford in Walsh Park would be great. Be something different.

Slim chances I'd say but never know

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/309092

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Very misleading for the author to say Shanahan's confident they'll get back in when he actually said "you never know they might".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Waterford game live on TG4 this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Slim chances I'd say but never know

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/309092

Shanahan embarrassing himself. Trying to coerce Cahill into putting his own brother back on the panel. His comments on Maurice are laughable. Just because Connors and himself were deemed undroppable under McGrath doesn't mean they deserve to be on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Shanahan embarrassing himself. Trying to coerce Cahill into putting his own brother back on the panel. His comments on Maurice are laughable. Just because Connors and himself were deemed undroppable under McGrath doesn't mean they deserve to be on the panel.
    Whatever Dan says .I personally was dissapointed to see Maurice dropped .he's a great bit of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

How is it embarrassing? What happens in these interviews is the reporter asks "do you think maurice and Connors should be back on the panel"? Dan responds by saying that Cahill said (correctly) that if players perform with their clubs the panel remains open. He adds that Maurice got married and he's working hard with the club. Perhaps you can dispute this?

And also could you advise when under Derek McGrath that Connors and Shanahan should have been dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Dan is rightly pointing out that Cahill has said the door is open to anyone that plays well in the club championship. He sees Maurice back at his club bursting his b****cks to get back into that reckoning. No doubt Noelie is the same.
    If Cahill has dropped the lads for personal reasons then he should at least be honest about it and not dangle the carrot of a potential call-up in front of them if he doesn't mean it. Dan is right to call this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dan is rightly pointing out that Cahill has said the door is open to anyone that plays well in the club championship. He sees Maurice back at his club bursting his b****cks to get back into that reckoning. No doubt Noelie is the same.
    If Cahill has dropped the lads for personal reasons then he should at least be honest about it and not dangle the carrot of a potential call-up in front of them if he doesn't mean it. Dan is right to call this out.

Cahill didnt drop anyone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

A team was named at 9pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497337223356419

But this was tweeted at 9:01pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497414297886722

I'm confused by the wording though whether this includes the Tipp game or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

A team was named at 9pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497337223356419

But this was tweeted at 9:01pm https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1233497414297886722

Football county league matches due to be played this weekend is what it’s referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

Football county league matches due to be played this weekend is what it’s referring to

Ah makes sense. Maybe I'm just slow haha

Mix of newcomers and experience in the team for Sunday. Hopefully we really go for it and give a good account of ourselves

Win or draw and were guaranteed more league hurling going into our last game. Unsure will the Galway vs Cork game be on but if it is we want a Galway win

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Cahill didnt drop anyone :confused:
    You know exactly what I mean. they were on the panel for 11 years and Suddenly not on it this year. They were dropped.

What’s the thoughts on Shane Ryan lads? Bit of a late bloomer didn’t really feature much in underage teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

What’s the thoughts on Shane Ryan lads? Bit of a late bloomer didn’t really feature much in underage teams

Fmw horrendous all year in senior champ last year and they make up 1/5 of the starting 15 this weekend. Plenty fellas around the county younger and more potential than Ryan long term.

Fmw horrendous all year in senior champ last year and they make up 1/5 of the starting 15 this weekend. Plenty fellas around the county younger and more potential than Ryan long term.

I often wondered what did Micheal Harney have to do to get a look in. Would have been miles ahead of someone like Ryan at minor and U21 level, and was a standout performer for a very good Carlow IT team at Fitzgibbon the last few years. Maybe hes from the wrong club

In 2008, Ken McGrath, Eoin McGrath, Tony Browne, the two Prendergasts and Clinton Hennessey played in a relegation final. Almost half the team that last beat Tipp in championship. 3 players do not make a team of 15.

Your second point may or may not be true, but that said if a fella is playing well for his club and gets a call up, and manager decides he's worth a chance after 4 month training and testing then he's entitled to it. Especially, given Cahill's reputation. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

In 2008, Ken McGrath, Eoin McGrath, Tony Browne, the two Prendergasts and Clinton Hennessey played in a relegation final. Almost half the team that last beat Tipp in championship. 3 players do not make a team of 15.

Your second point may or may not be true, but that said if a fella is playing well for his club and gets a call up, and manager decides he's worth a chance after 4 month training and testing then he's entitled to it. Especially, given Cahill's reputation. Best of luck to him.

Stopped reading your response after you started bringing Ken McGrath and Tony Browne into a conversation about Shane Ryan of fmw. Best of luck to him genuinley but there's plenty defenders have shown more form and potential in the county than him in recent times.

Are both stands open tomorrow for season ticket holders?

Stopped reading your response after you started bringing Ken McGrath and Tony Browne into a conversation about Shane Ryan of fmw. Best of luck to him genuinley but there's plenty defenders have shown more form and potential in the county than him in recent times.

I'm not comparing him to them at all, my point is there were 6 inter county in that relegation final. Writing off a player because his club was in a relegation final is stupid.

Calum Lyons is going to start if fit in May but other than him I don't see those options on the bench tomorrow. Anyway I don't like this kind of focus on one fella being given a chance. People talk about giving more lads opportunities in Waterford out of one side of their mouth, and then the other shoot down lads before they even get it.

On another note, delighted to see Hutchinson back in. Hopefully the weather holds up and he gets a chance to take on the Tipp backs on a wider pitch.

Tonight's NFL game between Waterford and Carlow has been postponed and will take place at 2pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

If you’ve been watching the senior club championship over the last 5 years, Ryan has been a very good club hurler for FMW at centre or wing back, much more prominent than Gleeson for them. FMW had only 17/18 players togged for senior championship last year, I’m afraid having 3 intercounty panellists doesn’t mean they’ll be competitive at senior, look at Templenoe in Kerry, 5 players starting in an All Ireland senior final but playing intermediate in their own county until this year. Just because you’re from a weaker club doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough, there are 15 players on teams and individuals won’t win championships.

These 2 games remaining aren’t essential to win, and it would be better to use them to build a panel and see some more players play against 2 of the best teams in the country and see how they get on around regular players instead of making 15 changes and expecting lads to impress. I like the mix that Cahill has selected.

Best to luck to all Waterford teams playing today

On route to Thurles now and hoping for a good performance and Galway to do us a favour against Cork

• Advertisement

Some decent play from us but some laugh with all the sendings off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement