Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sick days

Options
  • 29-05-2018 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Reading the teachers forum there and I seen some of their co workers can miss a day a week.
    I wouldn’t get paid if I missed a day. I might be offered to take it as a holiday.

Anyway I’m in my current job 10 months and haven’t missed a day. I was ten minutes late one day because I left my steel toe boots at home and had to go back for them when I seen my runners on my feet driving the car.

I don’t drink on school nights and keep a healthy weight so I’d imagine that helps. Do you miss many days? Are you always late after smoking weed all night and playing x box? Do you take exactly as many days as you are entitled to on the companies sick day scheme?

Any insight into it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've taken 2 sick days in the last 9 years. Can't stand the guilts!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Out for a week, due to a bad back. Can't stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

What does maintaining your weight have to do with taking sick days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I went 23 years without a sick day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

About 3 or 4 days in the last 6 years. I need to be sick sick before I call in sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

What does maintaining a healthy weight have to do with taking sick days?

You are more likely to have a sturdy robust immune system if you have a good body mass index.
    Now I know the fitness industry says BMI means nothing but I can tell you sister I’m fairly shredded too from running up and down ladders and stairs and a lot of upper body work running pipes through hotels. So general fitness and BMI would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Leftyflip wrote: »

Been out all last week and this week and looks like another week with back issues also.

Getting an MRI tomorrow and seeing a speciliast tomorrow week. Hopefully not out for much longer can't bare lying down for any longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

None because I don't earn but as a young man in the 90's I seemed to constantly have a reaccuring condition most Mondays that seemed to cure itself by 7pm the following Friday night

You are more likely to have a sturdy robust immune system if you have a good body mass index.
    Now I know the fitness industry says BMI means nothing but I can tell you sister I’m fairly shredded too from running up and down ladders and stairs and a lot of upper body work running pipes through hotels. So general fitness and BMI would be good.

I mean.... good for you I guess, but that’s a load of crap!

I feel your pain my back starts to go when I don’t use it. Some sort of diffective muscle in there that cramps up and stops working if I’m a few days sitting around. I’d to get discs shaved and put back in at one stage.

• Advertisement

I mean.... good for you I guess, but that’s a load of crap!

Drown out what you don’t wanna believe. I don’t mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was out for a month after surgery. Doctor gave me a bag of opiates and sent me on my way. I had the best time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I took 5 sick days in my last job over 5 years. I think 3 of them were just duvet days, but I did wait until work was quiet before taking them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

People take sick beacuse they smoke weed, play XBox all night, and possibly due to their BMI?

Oh I am subscribing to this thread to see what other assumptions we can make about people.

Drown out what you don’t wanna believe. I don’t mind.

Ok, I will!

Reading the teachers forum there and I seen some of their co workers can miss a day a week.
    I wouldn’t get paid if I missed a day. I might be offered to take it as a holiday.

Anyway I’m in my current job 10 months and haven’t missed a day.

Firstly teachers only get paid for 7 uncertified sick days in a two year period. So missing a day a week is BS unless they are actually paying a GP for a cert.

Not missing a day due to sickness in 10 months is hardly exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I’ve had two weeks sick leave in 16 years of working, that was after surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I know people in big companies who have some weird pride in having no sick days over X amount of years. Absolute madness. They come to work coughing and spluttering everywhere infecting the whole team, all to keep this bizarre record in their heads. If you're sick, take your feckin sick days! Nobody really cares, and you're allowed to be human.

I've had a few over the years. I'm a day rate contractor so I lose money if I take one. None so far this year thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was out for 18months after a bad car crash. Lost my job. It was demoralising a fair bit of the time.

Thankfully I’m well again and only miss an odd day if my back flares up again.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    People take sick beacuse they smoke weed, play XBox all night, and possibly due to their BMI?

Oh I am subscribing to this thread to see what other assumptions we can make about people.

Some do. Is making assumptions something that upsets the twitter generation now too?
    I did an apprenticeship many moons ago and half the lads would arrive in at ten o clock with pink eyes after playing FIFA until 3 am. It’s not unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We don't get paid sick days. So you either take it as annual leave or go unpaid. People are often in work when they should be home but they can't afford to take time off.
    Most of my sick days are my child's sick days. Although I will confess I took a week off once when I got the flu. Even in my twenties if I was hungover I would still go to work. Wasn't much use by I was there.

Anyway I’m in my current job 10 months and haven’t missed a day. I was ten minutes late one day because I left my steel toe boots at home and had to go back for them when I seen my runners on my feet driving the car.

I don’t drink on school nights and keep a healthy weight so I’d imagine that helps. Do you miss many days? Are you always late after smoking weed all night and playing x box? Do you take exactly as many days as you are entitled to on the companies sick day scheme?

Any insight into it?

That is clearly just someone trying to start off the usual teacher bashing - to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Firstly teachers only get paid for 7 uncertified sick days in a two year period. So missing a day a week is BS unless they are actually paying a GP for a cert.

Not missing a day due to sickness in 10 months is hardly exceptional.

I never said it was. It’s probably the best in my job though. It very physical and people get injured or just too tired now and again. Heavy drinking on a Sunday wouldn’t be uncommon for them. It’s not like teaching. My Irish teachers and some of the religion teachers used to come in sit at the desk a lot of the time and not even register that we were there. Just turn up sleep it off and clock out. They’d booze at lunchtime too. There’s some people getting very defensive here?
    Did I say something wrong?

That is clearly just someone trying to start off the usual teacher bashing - to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Check the teachers forum. There’s a thread right there. It could have been any forum. If you look through my after hours threads a lot of them start by reading another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

51 years working and have never had a sick day. Throat a bit sore at moment though so might call in sick tomorrow

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,636 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had a bad back in the early nineties. Didn't take any time off until they operated on a lumbar disc. They told me I would be in hospital a week and then it would be another 6 before I could return to work. Got back 6 weeks after the operation

Then another disc went. This time I was back to work 5 weeks after the operation. Another 6 years and the first disc needed operating on again. It was 4 weeks that time. Final operation was a couple of years later and I missed 3 weeks and 2 days that time

In the middle of all that I had a minor eye operation. The operation was on the Thursday and I was supposed to spend the Friday recovering. There was a big deal on at work and I ended up going into work that Friday.

Throughout that year I was only away from work 4 days. 1 for that operation and the 3 days between Xmas and New Year as holiday. Had to postpone a holiday in Florida because it was so busy.

In 36 years of working I think I've taken 1 or 2 days off for illness, another 1 due to a hangover plus a few months due to injury/hospitalisations.

My head would need to be falling off to take a sick day, clients throw hissy fits if they have to see someone else. Think I’ve had 1 and a half in 4 years. And me a fatty with a bad immune system and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If this weather continues into next week I'm gonna go down to the doc for a cert and take the week off.

Check the teachers forum. There’s a thread right there. It could have been any forum. If you look through my after hours threads a lot of them start by reading another forum.

You mean the thread where the OP said about 'being told' of teachers taking a day per week and almost every reply (from teachers) said they never saw anything like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

CPTM wrote: »
    I know people in big companies who have some weird pride in having no sick days over X amount of years. Absolute madness.

And I knew people who took pride in making sure they took their "sick" days every year. God forbid they take some pride in their work, no, instead work was a battlefield and they needed to take the most for doing the least.

People like that will never understand that a good work ethic is not about helping employers, its about your own self worth. Not to mention that the people taking unnecessary sick days are pretty much the sole reason many companies don't pay for sick days. Thanks guys.

Advertisement