Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock - Jellyfish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Swam out around the 500m and pink buoys yesterday and there were hundreds of jellyfish. Mostly small and fairly harmless. Was in a wetsuit but got a bit of a sting around the lips after properly face-planting into one of them! Mild nettle-like sting, wore off within an hour.

I only went out to the Salthill Hotel from Blackrock last night, but I had never seen such an infestation of those purple jellyfish. Every stroke seemed to ring me into a school of them. No stings, but annoying. My heart jumped every time I touched one

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I was paddling (kayak) on the other side of the bay yesterday evening and met 4 Lions Mane monsters. Biggest was about 60cms across the top. Huge thing! Wouldn't like to be in the water with them.
    There were also places where you could nearly walk across the water with all the compass jellies and small purples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Divers reported multiple Lions Mane jellyfish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion%27s_mane_jellyfish

off Black Head in Galway bay this weekend in shallow water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hospitalised just means went to hospital.

I would be astounded if someone not suffering anaphylaxis got an ambulance and didn’t just get a lift. It’s easily treatable at home. I just think the lion’s mane fever is taking over.

Was in last night, sea temperature has dropped a lot, and I saw no jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Agree it's meant to be rare but their tentacles can reach 58m so if you're unlucky and really get wrapped up it can get serious. Don't denigrate unless you know what you're talking about.

Agree it's meant to be rare but their tentacles can reach 58m so if you're unlucky and really get wrapped up it can get serious. Don't denigrate unless you know what you're talking about.

Who was I denigrating?

I was just suggesting that the ambulance you saw was there for another reason.

I believe that article is based entirely on the earlier Tribune article (Enda Cunningham suggested it was on Twitter). I was there in the morning last Thursday. There were plenty of pink jellies, and I saw one beached compass.

I'd hate to see people miss out on an amazing facility because of fear of jellyfish.

Das Kitty wrote: »

I'd hate to see people miss out on an amazing facility because of fear of jellyfish.

That's totally me :(

That's totally me :(

I’ve been in every second day since the end of May and haven’t been stung once by any jelly. It’s so gorgeous and clear and refreshing. A pair of goggles and you’ll spot any nasties, or do a recce at the top of the tower and take a look around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Totally agree. The jellyfish phobia is really getting out of hand.

Where was there a lion's mane with 58m tentacles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Are they all gone?

Are they all gone?

There will always be jellyfish in Galway Bay..:)

I heard one killed a guy, with a trident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Where was there a lion's mane with 58m tentacles?

The largest recorded specimen found washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell with a diameter of 2.3 metres (7 ft 6 in) and tentacles 37.0 m

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When are going to appear on gourmet dinner plates of local eateries?

Very few jellyfish in the water last night.

J o e wrote: »
    Very few jellyfish in the water last night.

I think the colder water doesn't suit them. Hoping to get in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

dUyupNI.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement