Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your fantastic food memories!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when the local deli started selling pizza bases in the 80's , going to some of the chains that opened up back in the day like Dunkin Doughnuts , Eddie Rockets. jaysus I probably sound like an auld one going on about their first banana after the war

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When Pizza Hut, and Pizza Express first started their All You Can Eat Buffet, and eating competitions amoungst your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

I had an amazing chicken sandwich with mayonnaise when I was about 6, in Dublin Airport. Haven't had anything like it, before or since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Crisp or sausage sandwiches were the bees knees

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

When seven eleven opened up the road and my pocket money allowed me to try microwave chips for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had Lahmacun in Instanbul, very yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In 2007, I worked in Birmingham with a daily per diem for food of £25.

Every Thursday, myself and two colleagues would have a cheap breakfast and lunch, in order to save the expense rate to have an Indian meal in one of the best restaurants, Ashas, in the city centre. Their Biryani was absolutely gorgeous and those were good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

biko wrote: »

Most of the food in Istanbul is fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The food in the main restaurant in monart is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was backpacking south east Asia last year and had some amazing food. On my hundredth day travelling I was in Vientiane, and found a very well reviewed American BBQ style place. Facebooked them explaining that I couldn't pick one thing from their menu, and would they give me a wee bit of everything for $20 delivered, which they did. Got enough food for 2 people easily - Burger, ribs, wings, mozzarella sticks, fries, dippers, about 8 different hot sauces, sausage, was brilliant. The difference from the (amazing) food I'd been eating up til that point made it all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Johnston, Mooney & O’Brien chocolate pies, my absolute favorite snacks. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one in decades.

I remember them they were delicious - don't think they make them anymore :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

On a family holiday in Scotland years ago, we got a load of cambozola that they were selling off cheap in the local shop because no-one liked it.

So.

Much.

Cheese.

Cheesy heaven it was :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Johnston, Mooney & O’Brien chocolate pies, my absolute favorite snacks. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one in decades.

These. Unbelievably good. I only ever got them in my school's tuck shop. 30 years since I've saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

biko wrote: »

Reminds me of another really nice moment: Travelled Georgia (the country) for a few weeks, now that was a good few years ago and dealing with Georgians can be a bit of a pain because many are not very approachable. Anyway, we did our last 2 days in Tbilisi and we were on the hunt for some food. We ended up in a backyard Turkish restaurant, with like a huge meat display and lots of TVs playing Turkish pop in the restaurant area upstairs. Now the waitress didn't speak a word english but she took us downstairs to the display and shows us a few things, one of them a Lahmacun.
    Ordered one to share as starter, it was absolutely mindblowing!
    We had a few shish kebabs after that with sides, it was hands down one of the best meals out I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Showing my age here, but the first time that I every encountered real garlic bread was a real eye opener! Although we occasionally had a curry of sorts, my ma wouldn't have ever contemplated allowing garlic into our house - dat was for foreigners!

I also remember my first introduction to pizza which occurred while on a football trip to Liverpool. Couldn't even pronounce the word, let alone understand what the fuss was about! Anyway, I wanted steak and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cans of Campbell's Chicken Stew

Succulent pieces of chicken and potatoes and carrots

Lived on it back on the day seemed healthy enough compared today's crap

Can't understand why it's no longer on the shelves

Also Green Isle slices of pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Teat Time Express Australian layer cake was the nicest shop bought cake ever. They did a pineapple one and a coffee one too and others probably but they didn't come close. The bakery closed in 2012 after 70 odd years , God I miss that cake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Maverick bars!
    Also Marks and Spencer did a white chocolate torte that was divine but also discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My Lemon cheesecake. My favourite dessert second to baked alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Big thick bready base, with cheese overflowing and burning your mouth and it slide off the red, herby sauce that would stain your white Ireland away top like a b*tch!

Goodfella's Deep Pan Pepperoni. Despite being a bit of a pizza snob, (make my own from scratch as do my parents who owned a pizzeria once upon a time), I'll always turn to Goodfella's in times of need.

We grew up in a shop, Saturday evenings were spent stocking shelfs up until Match of the Day. The Deep Pan's would be timed to perfection for the opening theme tune. My parents and 3 brothers would just sit there in bready bliss every Saturday night. It was our ritual and about the only time we weren't knocking lumps out of each other.

Somehow my father managed to cook 4 of them in the oven at once.

Another one is also bread related. As soon as the baker arrived to the shop with some fresh white batch loafs, I would fire up the meat slicer and cut myself some thinly sliced Brady's Ham. Fresh batch, plenty of butter, fresh ham and a sprinkle of salt. Just beautiful.

Somehow my father let me operate the meat slicing from the age of 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

The McDonnell's Curry Meals were a classic mid '80s treat.

A teenaged me enjoyed these immensely.:D

Then the awful tragedy happened......

Packets came with 'New Improved Recipe' written on them.

It was like watching your favorite pub burn to the ground.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not the food itself but my mother was making a roast chicken and she left it on the kitchen counter.

Either the window or the back door was open and a local stray cat got in and devoured it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Corvo

Roy of the Rovers bars. Sure, they were probably radioactive, but who wants to live forever anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Corvo wrote: »
    Roy of the Rovers bars. Sure, they were probably radioactive, but who wants to live forever anyway.

Great for getting rid of baby teeth too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Fillet steak with empanadas and a 1984 Malbec at the foot of the Andes in Mendoza... It was the best meal by far. I also remember eating in Belcanto in Budapest with the singing waiters and incredible food.

As a kid, getting the variety pack of cereal at Christmas was a big treat as we had cornflakes or porridge every morning. We would also be treated to a burger and chips in New York New York on Henry street when we went Christmas shopping.

On our birthday we would get a chop and that was considered the height of luxury!

Getting my first proper stew with lamb pieces and not mince was a revelation.

Also getting Tayto or King crisps on holidays instead of manky Ma Reilly's

I do agree that my first ever goodfellas pizza was an experience as was my first Chinese but I think I was really blown away by my first proper Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

+1 for the old ice creams.

Brunch in particular, now it's sparsely coated back then you'd have a job getting through the coating.

I really miss the old Dairy Milk with the gold foil. Damn that chocolate was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I remember going on a school tour to see Close Encounters Of the Third Kind in the Savoy Cinema in Dublin when I was about 11.
    We were coming from Drogheda.
    The first thing we all did was went to Burgerland. This was my first time in an American style burger joint. There were no McDonalds or BK in those days so Burgerland was the closest Dublin got to these in 1977.
    Burger, fries and a strawberry shake. It was absolutely delicious to an 11 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

I remember going on a school tour to see Close Encounters Of the Third Kind in the Savoy Cinema in Dublin when I was about 11.
    We were coming from Drogheda.
    The first thing we all did was went to Burgerland. This was my first time in an American style burger joint. There were no McDonalds or BK in those days so Burgerland was the closest Dublin got to these in 1977.
    Burger, fries and a strawberry shake. It was absolutely delicious to an 11 year old.

Ah American style.....
    Candie... give em what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

My first taste of bacon after 15 years as a vegetarian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

In no particular order...
    My first....
    Ginsters pasties...
    Packet of scampi and lemon 'nik-naks'...
    Chicken vindaloo in portsmouth (1977)...
    Donner kebab in London (1977)...
    King prawn curry with fried rice in bognor (oh look, 1977)...
    Proper mousaka made by Greeks in *bognor* (yawn 1977)...
    Paiella made by my mates Spanish dad in bognor (1976, just to be different)...
    And finally, the best Indian restaurant going, the kashmir Indian restaurant, palmetston road, southsea...every meal an experience...

Advertisement