Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Oh I know, buying up houses from Nama during the recession. Hiding tax from the pub etc etc. The whole family on the payroll from the governement. Kerry Co Co which is run by the family the most corrupt in Ireland

The list goes on....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And Healy Rae will go off and reflect on it. He was well put in his place by Varadkar. About time people stood up to his bullyboy tactics, he'll get away with riding roughshod over the people of Kerry but he won't with everyone else he looks down on in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MHR may well be a bullyboy or whatever you want to call him, but I doubt very much he will be reflecting on anything. It is far more likely he will just be confused. Leo put nobody in their place in that instance. He just threw MHR words back at him. It's a tactic when you have nothing else to say. Teenagers often use it sarcastically.

MHR called out Leo's arrogance, and Leo may have well said, 'You are'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This post is exactly the type of attitude that ensures that pejorative statements about various groups persist. Language needs to be understood in its context. A word used in particular way in a particular statement may not be offensive while in another context it may.

Michael Healy-Rae did not use "airy-fairy" in its normal context. Instead, he told an openly gay man to "go on away with the airy-fairies and see where that gets you". A very clear reference to the use of fairy as derogatory to gay people. MHR probably thought he was being clever or funny. He wasn't.

Yes, it is on the lighter side of homophobia, probably equivalent to the poster who named himself after the Taoiseach's partner, but like that reference, it is insidious and cynical, pretending to be something normal.

So to finish up, the use by Leo is not comparable, does not make MHR ok with using it. That we need to explain that shows how far education about prejudice needs to travel in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even the usual Twitter brigade couldn't see an issue with it.

• Advertisement

I have addressed that almost exact post in the other thread, and it's still so wrong it's laughable. Absolute horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The phrases "airy-fairy ideas" and "away with the fairies", meaning mad, are both well known phrases. Neither of those were the phrases used by MHR, though. "Fairy" as a derogatory term for a gay man is also well known. So either MHR meant to use a different phrase and mixed up his words - he has form for that, in fairness - or he was deliberately trying to goad Varadkar. A bigger man would have said "Yeah, sorry, I meant to say 'away with the tree huggers and see where that gets you'..." or whatever. Instead he's doubling down, and sure why wouldn't he. They'll love this down home.

Yes. With the proper context and meaning. Adjective, as opposed to noun, to describe ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Ridiculous, far more important things to be getting worked up over.

Absolute nonsense stuff. Its clear in the context it was not a homophobic remark.

This reflects badly on Varadkar.

Airy Fairies is well known as well. There are companies named after them.

I had to organise a life raft for a battle on the lakes, and that was run by the airy fairies, so for people to say what is the correct way to use such a phrase is bizarre, especially considering they choose to hear it as an offensive comment instead of how it was obviously meant.

But as you said - , "away with the airy-fairies" which is very close to what he said, it wasn't a 'different' phrase, at worst it was a mixture of the two, at best it was what he meant. To say anything else is just looking to take offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Rustyman101

More woke shite from the perpetually offended ! Sweet Jesus you couldn't open your mouth these days without some group being offended! I've probably offended someone by stating this !

I'll go and reflect.....

There are, indeed.

It's a bit like if I call you Dick because you were christened Richard; or if I call you a dick because you're an assh0le.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭bmc58

No news on the alleged Leo leak investigation still.Hmm maybe they will think it's forgotten about.

Who Healy Rae? I doubt he cares about Leo and the investigation

There are what? Not sure of that bit.

But yes, it is similar to that but not quite the same. But that would also have to be implied by the way it would have to be said.

It depends on the way it is said, and no matter what way you watch that video, you can see he doesn't mean it the way Leo tried to imply.

In the same way as standing in front of meatballs or fire tinder and saying look at the ****, wouldn't mean I was pointing or looking at you, but said in such a way it could be assumed. Still doesn't mean you should automatically take offence.

As I said already education in the use of language and appropriate context is badly needed in this country.

Is not a homophobic slur. Varadker showing a complete lack of understanding of common rural idiom and reaching straight for that card. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Truth be told that was actually quite nasty from Leo, anyone with a semi functioning brain could tell there was no hint of homophobia in that comment, leo just saw a chance to twist words and trap him as being homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭bmc58

I wouldn't say that.He might be smiling is Leo gets in a spot of bother.

How? You do realise the both of them are probably sitting at the Dail bar right about now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

In was told today that the Healy Rays and indeed all the other landlords in the Dail will be helping with the Ukraine situation in helping with accomodation... Since they are fallowing Leo's lead the row mustn't be that serious... I think all the landlords in the Dail likely sign up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Joe Duffy & Leo Varadkar are everything thats wrong with this country.

How anyone would deem that a homophobhic slur is beyond me, have heard it countless times with regard to people being illogical or not making any sense/reason. Of course, Mr.Spin Varadkar will play it like this to deflect away from his own incompetence & his own parties confusing messages.

He's meant to be our incoming Taoiseach & is still under criminal investigation. Says it all. I guess RTE as usual know who their paymasters are. It took how many counts (9 I think) to get elected even in his own constituency,

No fan of the Healy Raes btw either but this is complete nonsense.

Yes, common rural idiom, what rubbish is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Jesus wept, this is a load of airy fairy guff.

Its a turn of phrase and accent that is complete opposite of the harsh new dub accent. The older dub accent was a thing of beauty too but has been replaced with an awful nasal drawl and limited vocabulary

How is this spin from Leo? Please explain how this video is doing anything to help FG and Leo deflect away from the government?

It is doing the opposite and the usual are.....just read your post. The people running around sharing this and crawling the web are not FG supporters or government supporters who couldn't care less what the latest rubbish the Healy Rae clan are up to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

Leaky put no one in his place.

Healy Rae was 100% correct in what he said to him. Leaky is "airy fairy". For leaky to take this as a slur, shows just how out of touch with reality he really is. Healy Rae was elected immediately, Leaky was elected on the third or fourth count. HR was correct that Leaky looks down on him.

it was childish in the extreme for Leaky to use the "spin" around method of deflection completely i.e. Take what I said and say exactly the same thing back.

How the hell we ended up with Leo I do not know. He has shown himself to be untrustworthy,willing to use anyone (friends) and throw them under the bus, sieve-like with confidential information, a person dependent on PR instead of facts and slippery/slimey. Hey I suppose that is Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Do you know what he was being questioned about? Dont reply to my post until you actually understand this.

It helps Varadkar & Fine Gael because it appeals to the LGBT, woke, perpetually offended community not to mention the victimhood brigade. This greaseball of a Tanaiste has made a career out of appealing to people like this. What has he ever achieved in his political career, hes a complete charlatan & a fraud. When hes under pressure like this, he looks to deflect in anyway possible, just like his predecessor, the clown from Mayo.

• Advertisement

Another faux outrage rant

Seriously do you honestly think this is just the latest in the faux outrage form a certain cohort of people?

Next week it will another rant about outrage about something else. Time to grow up people.

Advertisement