Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusion to Occupiers Liability Act

Options
  • 22-05-2018 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Quick Summary; My car was hit on private property, (my place of work), and the company are denying responsibility on the basis of notices posted excluding parked vehicles under section 5 of the Occupiers Liability Act 1995.
    Am I wasting my time in taking a case to the small claims court,(Damage just over 1K), or does anyone know if there is a way around this.
    They admit causing the damage etc., and have even disciplined the guy who did the damage but is my only other option to sue one of my work colleagues.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

rx8 wrote: »
    They admit causing the damage etc., and have even disciplined the guy who did the damage but is my only other option to sue one of my work colleagues.

If he is one of your work colleagues, I would have thought that he would approach you with an apology and an offer to reimburse you for the damage, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

If he is one of your work colleagues, I would have thought that he would approach you with an apology and an offer to reimburse you for the damage, no?

I did inform him of the cost of the repair, but he claims to have no money.
    A likely story indeed.

Did he hit you in his own car? I suppose that he should have insurance so it can be sorted that way, if necessary. You should be able to get his insurance details from his insurance disc in the windscreen of his car.

Did he hit you in his own car? I suppose that he should have insurance so it can be sorted that way, if necessary. You should be able to get his insurance details from his insurance disc in the windscreen of his car.

No, not his own car. A company vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so claim off the insurance on the company vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Claim against the company's car insurance policy. It doesn't matter that the incident happened on their property if your vehicle was hit their insurance will cover it. Did you take photos or have any back-up for the damage? I would also submit an incident report to your manager as soon as possible as your property was damaged in your place of work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Occupiers Liability Act only applies to damages stemming from the state of the premises. A car isn't part of the premises, therefore ordinary negligence principles apply.

Tell your employer that their sign doesn't have the magic powers they once thought it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I suspect your employer knows little about it

The accident was reported, insurance have said they wont cover it.

You can either sue the driver or their insurance

VonZan wrote: »
    Claim against the company's car insurance policy. It doesn't matter that the incident happened on their property if your vehicle was hit their insurance will cover it. Did you take photos or have any back-up for the damage? I would also submit an incident report to your manager as soon as possible as your property was damaged in your place of work.

I sent all details, photos and estimate to the company claims dept. They still deny liability citing section 5,linked above. The company (a large public transport co. ) look after their own insurance, so it's not just a case of taking details off a disc on a window.
    The small claims court have allowed my claim but the company intend to contest it vigorously as they don't want the gates to open on a flood of similar claims.

• Advertisement

I sent all details, photos and estimate to the company claims dept. They still deny liability citing section 5,linked above. The company (a large public transport co. ) look after their own insurance, so it's not just a case of taking details off a disc on a window.
    The small claims court have allowed my claim but the company intend to contest it vigorously as they don't want the gates to open on a flood of similar claims.

Did you try to claim off the companies liability insurance or from the insurance policy on the vehicle that hit you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It is obviously a semi state that has an exemption. There is no insurance company to sue.

This, .. without naming them, they operate large yellow and blue vehicles.

so you've clarified the situation then. If their vehicle had hit you while on the street you could surely claim from them. what difference does it make that you were on their premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Was your car it by a company vehicle driven by an employee while on duty going about his normal duties?

so you've clarified the situation then. If their vehicle had hit you while on the street you could surely claim from them. what difference does it make that you were on their premises?

They cite the exclusions as allowed for in section 5 of the act

Was your car it by a company vehicle driven by an employee while on duty going about his normal duties?

Exactly, yes.

Exactly, yes.

The company was famously held liable in very similar circumstances. The same company also fights almost every case to the death and will force you to prove everything.

Exactly, yes.

how does the occupiers liability act come into play when the damage was caused by one of their vehicles? They dont have vehicle insurance in the normal sense but but they do have a self-underwritten policy on their vehicles and it is that you should be claiming off.

how does the occupiers liability act come into play when the damage was caused by one of their vehicles? They dont have vehicle insurance in the normal sense but but they do have a self-underwritten policy on their vehicles and it is that you should be claiming off.

They don't have any policy. They self - insure. they pay all claims themselves without recourse to any insurance.

• Advertisement

They don't have any policy. They self - insure. they pay all claims themselves without recourse to any insurance.

thats what i was getting at. So how does the occupiers liability act come into it?

thats what i was getting at. So how does the occupiers liability act come into it?

I never said it did.

The notices specifically exclude private cars parked on the company premises.

The company was famously held liable in very similar circumstances. The same company also fights almost every case to the death and will force you to prove everything.

Any links to this??
    Pm if needed. Thanks

Any links to this??
    Pm if needed. Thanks

http://www.andersongallagher.ie/anderson-gallagher-in-the-news/bus-eireann-loses-appeal-after-driver-assaults-cyclist/

Here is one. There is another case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Quick Summary; My car was hit on private property, (my place of work), and the company are denying responsibility on the basis of notices posted excluding parked vehicles under section 5 of the Occupiers Liability Act 1995.
    Am I wasting my time in taking a case to the small claims court,(Damage just over 1K), or does anyone know if there is a way around this.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

As Robbo pointed out, the Occupiers Liability Act 1995 applies to damage caused by the "state" of the premises:-
    “danger”, in relation to any premises, means a danger due to the state of the premises

The ordinary rules of negligence applies.

It is also worth noting that an employer owes a higher duty of care to an employee over what an ordinary entrant is afforded under the general duty of care by virtue of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 which requires them to directly or indirectly as far as is reasonable make a premises safe for their employees.

And on that point note the saver from the 1995 Act, S8 (b)(iii):-
    8. Nothing in this Act shall be construed as affecting any enactment or any rule of law relating to—

(a) self-defence, the defence of others or the defence of property,

(b) any liability imposed on an occupier as a member of a particular class of persons including the following classes of persons:
    (i) persons by virtue of a contract for the hire of, or for the carriage for reward of persons or property in, any vessel, vehicle, train, aircraft or other means of transport;
    (ii) persons by virtue of a contract of bailment; and
    (iii) employers in respect of their duties towards their employees, or

(c) any liability imposed on an occupier for a tort committed by another person in circumstances where the duty imposed on the occupier is of such a nature that its performance may not be delegated to another person.

Well, yes and no.

DB do have recourse to insurance, but not in the traditional terms of motor insurance.

They have a €15M SIR (subject to an overall CIE €27M SIR). Anything over that amount is covered by an external insurance provider, but their insurance is fairly cheap (on the grand scale of things) I would imagine considering the insurer could never be liable for a motor related accident as liability is legally limited to €1.22M per claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The notices specifically exclude private cars parked on the company premises.

Exclude damage caused to private cars or preclude the parking of private cars?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Exclude damage caused to private cars or preclude the parking of private cars?

Yeah, sorry if there's confusion. It says it excludes damage done to private cars howsoever caused.

GM228 wrote: »
    As Robbo pointed out, the Occupiers Liability Act 1995 applies to damage caused by the "state" of the premises:-

The ordinary rules of negligence applies.

It is also worth noting that an employer owes a higher duty of care to an employee over what an ordinary entrant is afforded under the general duty of care by virtue of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 which requires them to directly or indirectly as far as is reasonable make a premises safe for their employees.

And on that point note the saver from the 1995 Act, S8 (b)(iii):-

Well, yes and no.

DB do have recourse to insurance, but not in the traditional terms of motor insurance.

They have a €15M SIR (subject to an overall CIE €27M SIR). Anything over that amount is covered by an external insurance provider, but their insurance is fairly cheap (on the grand scale of things) I would imagine considering the insurer could never be liable for a motor related accident as liability is legally limited to €1.22M per claim.

How is liability limited to 1.22m per claim?

• Advertisement

Your employer is being unreasonable.

I would just hand this over to a solicitor.

Advertisement