Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving keys and alarms codes with builders

• 22-05-2018 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    We have recently started an extension and the builder required access to the house to connect to power because he left his generator in another location. This was ok on the first week as we were about and if not left a spare key out which we didnt like doing. Before the second week i asked the builder if he could take a generator as we would not be about much during the week and felt uncomfortable leaving the key out and the alarm off. The builder never replied and the following evening he said he could not get access that day and thatcould we not leave the key out or give him a key. I asked did he not have a generator this week, He said i was being awkward and that i should give the key and the alarm code so that they could access the house. He said everyone else does it. I explained that this is our preference and that we would be happy to let them in when we are around and to organise when it is totally necessary to gain access i.e to connect to plumbing.
    Is this unreasonable, i have been told if i give the keys and alarm codes that the house insurance will not be covered during this time. Surely it shouldnt be a big deal for the builder to take a generator to do the work. Other builders we got quotes off said they would not need to come into the house until the final few days.
    Anyone experience anything similar or should i bow down to their demands and give the alarm codes and keys??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

I would have thought it is normal practice for a client to provide power if it’s available. Generators are a pain. They are noisy, expensive to run and not as reliable as mains. I would try to facilitate the builder where at all possible. Could you not leave a waterproof extension lead out some window?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Alarm codes could be changed for the period of the works, or just change them completely afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

You have no idea how nicer it is to work with a mains rather than a generator.
    Just be nice and leave a extension lead out for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gopher1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have recently started an extension and the builder required access to the house to connect to power because he left his generator in another location. This was ok on the first week as we were about and if not left a spare key out which we didnt like doing. Before the second week i asked the builder if he could take a generator as we would not be about much during the week and felt uncomfortable leaving the key out and the alarm off. The builder never replied and the following evening he said he could not get access that day and thatcould we not leave the key out or give him a key. I asked did he not have a generator this week, He said i was being awkward and that i should give the key and the alarm code so that they could access the house. He said everyone else does it. I explained that this is our preference and that we would be happy to let them in when we are around and to organise when it is totally necessary to gain access i.e to connect to plumbing.
    Is this unreasonable, i have been told if i give the keys and alarm codes that the house insurance will not be covered during this time. Surely it shouldnt be a big deal for the builder to take a generator to do the work. Other builders we got quotes off said they would not need to come into the house until the final few days.
    Anyone experience anything similar or should i bow down to their demands and give the alarm codes and keys??

Cheers

Have you got neighbours?
    Having work and an extension done is already a pain on your neighbour so why burden them with a loud generator all day long too!

You have options :

Leave an extension cord out.
    Change the alarm code for the duration of the works.
    Give the builder a key but lock internal doors.

If you don't trust your builder enough to leave him a key, then it beggars belief that you trust him enough to build your new extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Surely if building an extension which is attached to the house it would require access to the house itself anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement