Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudely spoken to at butchers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I still can't get past
    1) my maths error :(
    and
    2) that you spend 30 quid a week on meat! :eek:

Rein that habit in, man. You're killing the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sue them for eveything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

€11 of stir fry from a butchers, you must be one of those rich students

No tesco value for you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The OP sounds a little (gone) off. Are you sure the meat was fresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Chipper up my way used to do a buy one get one free deal on weekdays - it was absolute chaos, far too much for drunken minds to comprehend.

Burger and chips please - So you want 2 burgers and 2 chips - no just the one. Then at the till - why is it x amount, it supposed to be half price - it's not half price, it's 2 for 1 - that's the same thing - no it's not, do you want 2 burgers? - no, just 1 - ok you have to pay full price for it so - no I don't, it should be half price.

This went on with every drunken fool in the place for weeks until they abandoned the deal altogether!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I feel your pain OP, had a similar issue with the baker, but never any bother with the candle stick maker, he's a sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

What were the “few other words”.

I’ve worked in retail for 3 months in my life. That was enough time to generally side with staff.

Nah that's nonsense. Works both ways. Seen embittered staff who hate the public and dread having to deal with them. Automatically dealing with people in a short manner and with not much kindness.

I was called out as a fcking Eejit by a staff memeber in Tesco for taking a bottle of hophouse out of a four pack and bringing it to the counter. Can only be purchased as a 4 pack. I worked in an off licence for years as well as 6 months in retail. People are generally kind and respectful, people saying they hate the public are just reflecting their hatred of the job they're in on to them I find. There are plenty of mean spirited people out there though but by and large most people are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Malayalam wrote: »
    I still can't get past
    1) my maths error
    and
    2) that you spend 30 quid a week on meat!

Ya everything in moderation fair enough. Everything humans do and eat involves "killing the planet" whether plants meat nuts water you name it. And before saying it's the worst ever - most of the scaremongering bs uses US worst case scenarios. Just remember having a **** involves "killing the planet" driving a car involves "killing the planet"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Just to set the picture, this is a chain store that I frequent one of location of, and they give a 10% discount to students. So this day I asked for €11 of stir-fry, and showed him that I'd a card when paying. I was sure to check the receipt though when walking away. I saw that the price charged was €11, with any reduction. As soon as I turned around to question it, I saw a frown down his face.

I said that I didn't see that any discount came off. He then said that he gave me €11.30, and he said it as if I somehow should have known. So I told him that I had asked for €11. He then grabbed the receipt from my hand, as his fingers rather clumsily bumped into mine, and rather condescendingly said "and what does that say?". Of course it said €11... he was trying to make me look stupid. Saying such is actually only making things go around in circles.

I then explained how one would expect the discount to be deducted from the value of €11, which would give €9.90. This made me feel like I making a big deal over a few cents, but at the same time I was merely calling a spade a spade. He said something else, and definitely seemed to be speaking to me like a bouncer. For a second he awkwardly just looked away, as if I was trying his patience. At this point in time he seemed pretty hot headed, and I, not knowing how to diffuse the situation, just said "look, it doesn't matter" and walked off.

Sometimes it's as if we're so used to "the customer is always right" mentality being employed, that when something like this happens, we (or at least me) just don't know how to react. On hindsight, he didn't call out the final price or even face the card reader towards me so that I could see the price as I tapped it. If I were back, I'd have tried to return there and then, as I hadn't left the premises.

It was my first time being served by this particular guy at this butchers, and he actually seemed like one of the more experienced guys there. There were a few other small things off about his demeanor before that. I wonder if he's even aware that they've just lost a customer because of him.

With other times that I got the discount from the staff members at this butchers, sometimes some of them seemed a bit confused how to work that feature on the till. And at times I was aware that I wasn't really getting the full 10%. But that didn't bother me, because I could see that they were being polite. One guy once even opened the till to physically take out coins because he didn't know how to give the discount.

Didnt read all this drivel. We still have a few people like this.. drama queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

gozunda wrote: »
    Ya everything in moderation fair enough. Everything humans do and eat involves "killing the planet" whether plants meat nuts water you name it. And before saying it's the worst ever - most of the scaremongering bs uses US worst case scenarios. Just remember having a **** involves "killing the planet" driving a car involves "killing the planet"...

I know, I know, as you say, moderation etc., but 30 quid's worth is still a fair amount of pork chops in any given week

As an aside, I used an outdoor compost toilet for more than 15 years - having a **** doesn't always mean killing the planet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I hope you at least had the manners to say shanks as you were leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭rodders999

verycool wrote: »
    But in all seriousness, did anyone else read the title of the thread and then go "parklife!".

No, but I did go "pondlife" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'll bet there was never a please or thank you in the original request either, but I suppose the customer is right to expect to be told "Please F*** Off" instead of just "F*** Off"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know, I know, as you say, moderation etc., but 30 quid's worth is still a fair amount of pork chops in any given week

As an aside, I used an outdoor compost toilet for more than 15 years - having a **** doesn't always mean killing the planet ;)

Uh ever heard of methane????!!!??!!???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've put a candle in the window for you OP. Let's pray that the world never sees such injustice again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Maybe when showed your card at the butcher, he thought that you were a cop and spat in your food rather than applying a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; please make a choice you are happy with?

There was a time years ago when an assistant in a shop was appallingly rude to me. I mean appallingly. Others heard.

I simply asked where I could buy what I needed elsewhere and walked out and did so. never went near that shop again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

You keep fighting the good fight buddy.
    I did, and it ended better than I'd have liked it to. Thanks for your encouragement.

Seeing as the owner (who I'd met before) got back to me and empathised with me, I will not be naming the store. You won't be seeing me back in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I did, and it ended better than I'd have liked it to. Thanks for your encouragement.

Seeing as the owner (who I'd met before) got back to me and empathised with me, I will not be naming the store. You won't be seeing me back in this thread.

Well done, Champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I can’t wait for your next misadventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

U da man

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Delighted 4 U, hun

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What was the price per kilo on the stir fry that you had to get 11 euro worth to make a meal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

A man walks into a butchers shop and says "excuse me, do you have a sheeps head"?

The Butcher replies - "No, it's just the way I part my hair"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I worry for the future of humanity.
    Poor diddums had a boo hoo at the butchers when the nasty man wasn't nicey wicey.
    I hope you're stir fry was chewy and full of grizzle, might toughen you up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I still can't get past
    1) my maths error :(
    and
    2) that you spend 30 quid a week on meat! :eek:

Or maybe he's trying to eat all the belching, farting cows before they end the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fair enough ...Though giving a **** sometimes does ... ;)

Edit: the op spends €30 on 'pork chops' - seriously? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also, I certainly won't have anything good to say about them... and you know what they say!
    Do you know, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gonna be a long life for you OP if you are letting stuff like this bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement