Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I was 2 metres behind the car at 20km per hour..we never changed speed, car overtook us at 30, slowed for ramp at which point we caught up, car was at least 1 metre outside us at this stage. All then travelling at 20 after ramp, friend upsides car and me two metres behind, so three to four behind my friend.
    Car then indicates and begins to move in decreasing gap, slowing so friend goes by, spots friend then and jams on.
    At the same time i'm deciding whether to try and squeeze through an ever decreasing gap and go under a turning car or run into the back of them.

You could have pulled in behind the car after it had overtaken and then when it went to make the left turn, you could have swung around the right hand side of it instead. Going up or ending up the inside of a car (particularly close to a junction) is madness, imo. In this case I don't really car what the rules of the road are, I'm the more vulnerable road user and I need to take account of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You could have pulled in behind the car after it had overtaken and then when it went to make the left turn, you could have swung around the right hand side of it instead.
    i'm possibly misreading the story - but the OP caught up with the car because it had reached a speed ramp; not because it was slowing and indicating for a left turn. an overtake of a car on the right because it has reached a speed ramp is not a manouevre which you'd normally expect to have to perform.

the motorist appeared to have decided to turn left and indicate so *after* the cyclists caught up with him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Deciding whether to go thru an ever decreasing gap

Why???

i'm possibly misreading the story - but the OP caught up with the car because it had reached a speed ramp; not because it was slowing and indicating for a left turn. an overtake of a car on the right because it has reached a speed ramp is not a manouevre which you'd normally expect to have to perform.

Correct I meant an overtake on the right after the car had indicated left turn and possibly started the left turn manouevre .

In any case, my point is that as soon as car comes to overtake me (even if there's a speed ramp) I usually tap the brakes and let the car go ahead. It's just safer (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

You could have pulled in behind the car after it had overtaken and then when it went to make the left turn, you could have swung around the right hand side of it instead. Going up or ending up the inside of a car (particularly close to a junction) is madness, imo. In this case I don't really car what the rules of the road are, I'm the more vulnerable road user and I need to take account of that.

You don't seem to understand, this was a suburban road with free flowing traffic passing at all times, there are no lights, so you keep to the inside.

• Advertisement

You don't seem to understand, this was a suburban road with free flowing traffic passing at all times, there are no lights, so you keep to the inside.

No I understand well and am in the same situation on a daily basis (I commute a long a road that has a number of speed ramps). Taking the lane and not keeping to the edge is the safest way to cycle on these roads (ime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

the motorist appeared to have decided to turn left and indicate so *after* the cyclists caught up with him or her.

I don't think they would be expecting a cyclist to undertake at a speed ramp or to have caught up. As a cyclist I wouldn't undertake a car coming up to a left except very slowly. The driver should leave more room and be more aware, as indeed the cyclists anticipation could have been better.

Sorry the OP got hurt, glad its not serious. But rather than do the blame game I think there's a lot for all parties to learn from this. Slight miss judgement from everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like one of those roads where you need to a bit more careful.

As a cyclist, I find suburb roads, have some of the worst drivers on them. Therefore I'm expecting the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

ED E wrote: »
    Not important, he rear ended the car.

Honestly, this sounds to me like drastic, inattentive driving.

OP had a choice, whether to crash into another person on a bicycle or into the car - not enough room to stop after the car came swerving in - and chose the car. This could've been a fatal crash if s/he had taken the other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If we strip out the speed ramp and other cyclist, we get (I think):

- Car overtakes cyclist just before slamming on brakes to turn left.
    - Cyclist fails to match the braking of the car, crashes into rear of car.

Clearly it is bad driving to overtake anything immediately before a left turn, but bicycles are well known to have poorer braking performance than cars so the driver is being particularly irresponsible/clueless. And that's even ignoring the vulnerability of the cyclist which warrants a greater degree of care.

What is the cyclist supposed to do? Brake every time they get overtaken in case the car slams on the brakes?

edit: having said that, if the bike was going fast enough at the point of collision to break the rear window, there was probably an element of inattention on the part of the OP. The braking differential isn't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Probably a shared liability situation really. The driver shouldn't have overtaken and then gone to turn left straight away unless they knew they could clear you both. Sounds like they weren't paying attention though as they hadn't even seen you both before/during their overtake and admit that they were lost(?), based on the story, so sounds like they were focused on finding somewhere to turn and not actually paying attention to what else was going on around them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    but bicycles are well known to have poorer braking performance than cars
    The braking differential isn't that bad.
    maybe i read it wrong, but i read that the brakes were *too* good:
    My bike is already flipping as I hit the rear of the car
    i read that as the bike flipped under braking, which would explain why it was high enough to smash the rear windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Lumen wrote: »
    If we strip out the speed ramp and other cyclist, we get (I think):

Do cyclists cycling in single file normally aim to go over the ramps or do they aim to use the gap between the ramp and the pavement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

To me it sounds like a car overtook, slowed down, and in quick succession indicated, moved left, and slammed on without leaving the OP sufficient gap to stop before they drew level with the car. I don't know how the OP could get any blame for that.

Their companion only got away without incident because they had started to overtake on the left when the car originally slowed down and the driver saw them. The OP had no such luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

maybe i read it wrong, but i read that the brakes were *too* good:

i read that as the bike flipped under braking, which would explain why it was high enough to smash the rear windscreen.

Poor braking, not poorer brakes. As in slowing down the bike, not slowing down the wheel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do cyclists cycling in single file normally aim to go over the ramps or do they aim to use the gap between the ramp and the pavement?
    I'd go over the ramp - trying to squeeze between the end of the ramp and the kerb is an incident waiting to happen especially in the wet.

(If you're referring to speed cushions, I either go around them or over the top - depends on the scenario).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Was out for a cycle with my friend, car overtakes us approaching a speed ramp, then slows for the ramp allowing my friend to pass back up to about rear passenger window, I was about three metres behind.
    Car then indicates for left hand turn which was about 20ft beyond the ramp and edges in to approx. 45cm from the kerb..i am 2 metres behind, decide that they are making the turn and hit the brakes as hard as I can.
    At the same time car has spotted my friend, about level with passenger window, and has jammed on. My bike is already flipping as I hit the rear of the car, I've somehow managed to flip to the lhs of the car, cuts and bruises and a very stiff knee, bike carries on and breaks the rear window.
    Driver is claiming they saw us and said I just ran into the back of them.

Any advice or opinions welcome..

I hope you are ok.
    The above reads to me that your friend decided to undertake the car on the left side when it slowed down. This is very unsafe cycling. You and your friend should have remained behind the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

No clear cut policy for me. It depends on:
    The height of the ramp
    It’s condition, before, on and after
    The surface (gap and condition) between it and kerb
    Road surface-wet or dry
    Volume of traffic

Sorry should have said they rang the guards, but moved the car before consulting me and before they arrived.
    First thing the guard said to me was that they had their indicator on..
    I've yet to make a statement, was a bit shook up at the time so only really coming to terms with it now.

Hope you are OK!

In my view, no motorist that is paying attention and being considerate of other more vulnerable road users should attempt to overtake, if their intention is to turn left, or stop very soon after overtaking. It happens too often though.

A car would not overtake another car or vehicle and then drop anchor or turn left so what makes it ‘OK’ to do this to a cyclist?

The motorist should cop on in this situation and realise their inatention/ poor driving put in train a series of events that led to this incident. Its chicken and egg stuff. Motorist is unlikely to agree.

Make your statement but Garda will be useless in a civil matter. Its no harm to get yourself a free consultation with a solicitor. The driver may be chancing their arm here. Get their insurance details (which are obligatory for the motorist to provide to Garda) and report incident to their insurance company. They will regard a potential claim as reason to note on the drivers record/file, and they may loose their NCB for being too stupid to realise or quit when they are ahead.

Thanks to all who took the time to read and post their observations..positive or negative all appreciated.

Knee was very swollen and stiff this morning but hopefully nothing a couple days rest won't sort out (I was able to cycle home afterwards).
    On reflection things could have been a lot worse, speaking to my friend today we both agreed he was in the more vulnerable position, had he been slightly further back out of the driver's eyeline who knows what could have happened.

Just a note on the undertaking observation, he had passed back up to the inside as the car slowed for the ramp, not the turn, and before any indication was given, and the car was still well out in the road. We're not reckless, this was the first incident we've had in over five years of regular cycling.

Will update as to any outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Did any of the parties involved have camera footage?

Unfortunately not..it was only after the car was moved that we realised we should have taken a pic of its position on the road, but you just don't think of those things in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Question for me would be why would your friend even want to undertake the car when it slowed down?
    Why wouldn't your friend just slow down?
    If undertaking o the road as you describe, surely there wouldn't be a metre space either.

Not having a go, and the car driver sounds very inattentive, but your friend made a big mistake here.

he had passed back up to the inside as the car slowed for the ramp, not the turn, and before any indication was given

That doesn't matter - going up the inside of any moving vehicle is madness.

i do it all the time. cycling in any urban environment involves filtering up past slower moving traffic. i have often passed cars which have slowed for speed ramps - i can usually take them without slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

i do it all the time. cycling in any urban environment involves filtering up past slower moving traffic. i have often passed cars which have slowed for speed ramps - i can usually take them without slowing down.

Agreed, certain sections on my commute where I pass cars on the left as they slow for ramps.

@OP if this motorist overtook you, indicated and moved left and then slammed on I’d be asking for his insurance details and then letting his insurance company decide if he is liable.

Yes but would you do it if there was a junction 20 feet after the ramp? It's all about situation awareness. Now if the traffic was moving slowly (e.g. because of a tailback) and there were no junctions coming up, then I would say that proceeding slowly up the inside is probably safe but always be aware of the fact that a car might pull into the left for no reason. Yes they would (potentially) be in the wrong but what use is that if you are the one who ends up seriously injured.

I approach all cycling with the following in mind: 1) I'm going to come out the (physically) worse off in any impact with a car. 2) one of the cars surrounding me is going to do something unpredictable.

Yes but would you do it if there was a junction 20 feet after the ramp? It's all about situation awareness. Now if the traffic was moving slowly (e.g. because of a tailback) and there were no junctions coming up, then I would say that proceeding slowly up the inside is probably safe but always be aware of the fact that a car might pull into the left for no reason. Yes they would (potentially) be in the wrong but what use is that if you are the one who ends up seriously injured.

I approach all cycling with the following in mind: 1) I'm going to come out the (physically) worse off in any impact with a car. 2) one of the cars surrounding me is going to do something unpredictable.

You do know that a motorist is supposed to indicate well before a junction (20ft does not satisfy that requirement), and before manoeuvring, check mirrors...not indicate at the last minute.

Please don’t put the onus on the cyclist to second guess every single motorist. Motorists have responsibilities to all other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Was out for a cycle with my friend, car overtakes us approaching a speed ramp, then slows for the ramp allowing my friend to pass back up to about rear passenger window, I was about three metres behind. Car then indicates for left hand turn which was about 20ft beyond the ramp and edges in to approx. 45cm from the kerb..i am 2 metres behind, decide that they are making the turn and hit the brakes as hard as I can. At the same time car has spotted my friend, about level with passenger window, and has jammed on. My bike is already flipping as I hit the rear of the car, I've somehow managed to flip to the lhs of the car, cuts and bruises and a very stiff knee, bike carries on and breaks the rear window. Driver is claiming they saw us and said I just ran into the back of them.

I hope every one is OK.

The way you describe it doesn't put you in a good light. I wasn't there so I'm not saying who was in the wrong.
    You decided that he was turning. Didn't his indicator tell you this was happening anyway? Regardless of why he hit the breaks you seemed to be cycling too fast and close & not prepared for him to stop.
    I'm not having a pop at you. I wasn't there. It's just the way that you describe it. Maybe you are still shaken.
    I hope you aren't too badly injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Intrigued by the replies so far..is a car entitled to take up my space on the road just by an indicator. In a split second I took the lesser of two evils..self preservation kicks in.

Yes. A car in front of you indicating left has right of way. Even in a dedicated cycle lane the car has right of way when indicating & in that lane. If you tried to squeeze in beside him you are undertaking him.

Advertisement