Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coffee in the morning?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi

Could coffee before 10-30 am affect your sleep that nite?

I'm a light sleeper but don't want to quit either

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I drink coffee daily Textronic. Builds tolerance. No sleep problems for me. But also exercise daily. Avoid eating late. Have lots of Hans Selye eustress (due to university demands), but very little distress (harmful). People are different. Have individual differences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Textronic wrote: »
    I'm a light sleeper but don't want to quit either
    Decaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I normally have about 6 cups of coffee a day. Last one about 7pm and have no problem sleeping when I go to bed about 11.

Can’t imagine how a cup in the morning could effect night time sleep. Maybe if you had a cup at 22:30 might be different

heroics wrote: »
    I normally have about 6 cups of coffee a day. Last one about 7pm and have no problem sleeping when I go to bed about 11. Can’t imagine how a cup in the morning could effect night time sleep. Maybe if you had a cup at 22:30 might be different
    High caffeine tolerance heroics? Built up over time. Mine's low. I do 2 average daily. Except exam crams. Then what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I drink about 5-7 cups a day or 2-3 and some tea

My latest would be 6pm and no issues sleeping from 10:00pm

Highly 1 cup before 10:00am would affect you

• Advertisement

Know of a workplace. Free coffee for employees. But no decaf. Boss pays for caffeine-driven folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Caffeiene has a half life of 6 hours and most people tolerate around 400mg (4 cups or 2 and a bit medium cappuccinos) a day very easily.

So if you drink one at 10 am and one at 2pm with 150mg each in them you'll have >100mg in your system at 1pm, nearly 300mg at 2pm, and 150mg left at 8pm.
    By bedtime, you'll still have a small amount keeping you wired.

All the above scientific stuff said, I drink 2 or 3 coffees a day including often one in the evening and have no trouble sleeping. In fact around the same time as I started drinking coffee I switched to a 9 to 5 job and have slept much better generally in those few years.

Volunteered last summer. Worked at a center for folks with progressive disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions. One to two cups of coffee per day encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Fathom wrote: »
    High caffeine tolerance heroics? Built up over time. Mine's low. I do 2 average daily. Except exam crams. Then what it takes.

I would have a high enough tolerance all right. I suppose it also depends on the coffee and the size of the cup.

For example

237mL of brewed contains 95-165mg of caffeine, an espresso 47-64mg and instant 63mg

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Or you could be having a Starbucks Coffee, Blonde Roast venti (590mL). with 475mg of caffeine :D

I know its US based (everything in stupid OZ) but for example

https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/ingredients-of-concern/caffeine-chart

heroics wrote: »
    I suppose it also depends on the coffee and the size of the cup. Or you could be having a Starbucks Coffee, Blonde Roast venti (590mL). with 475mg of caffeine :D
    Student budget. I drink cheap. Except when someone else buys, yo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Textronic wrote: »

Could coffee before 10-30 am affect your sleep that nite?
    Doubtful if a morning cup would affect evening sleep.

I avoid energy drinks. Even if made with coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Coffee is lifeblood ..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Coffee is lifeblood ..
    Dislike instant. Brewed best. 2 cups per day. No problems sleeping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Drank too much coffee while attempting to meet a deadline, it's almost midnight Pacific, and I cannot get to sleep. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Black Swan wrote: »
    Drank too much coffee while attempting to meet a deadline, it's almost midnight Pacific, and I cannot get to sleep. :eek:

That's your problem right there .. you're working on the wrong time zone :D

That's your problem right there .. you're working on the wrong time zone :D
    Goes double Kenzie Polite Banker, ha. I'm exam cramming. Bathe in coffee. Can't sleep at night.

Advertisement