Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from a BMW F800GS to.... what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

D3V!L wrote: »
    I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to keep up with me on my "old man" bike.;)

Yeah, the "old man" who did my IBT training had some big old yoke he could throw around the place. It's all about the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Mrhuth wrote: »
    You old farts recommending him your boring af touring bikes. I am same age as him and I can tell you that I wouldn't ride any of the boring bikes you have suggested. I want to ride a gsxr, cbr, r1 etc. or their naked versions like the mt10 mt 09, anything that makes your dick hard. I am sure you all did when you were young too. He wants to get an mt09 then so be it, he'll enjoy it, I am sure. I use a gsxr 1000 for commuting Monday to Friday, commuting around 60km each way and I love every minute of it. Sure it's impractical but it's fun as hell, a twist of the throttle and you can feel the adrenaline rush and smile appearing on your face. I couldn't imagine riding to my work on a boring touring bike which won't give you the adrenaline rush or make you smile. You can argue that it still does but it's nothing compared to a 1000cc sports bike. Imagine having to ride to work Monday to Friday on a boring ass touring bike, I would be dreading it. Maybe my opinion will change when I get older but for now, give me torque or hp machine every time. I would give him to ride my gsxr and I can almost guarantee you that he would want to buy it the next day, the bikes that you have suggested are cager equilavent of a prius or a corolla, boring.

I went through the posts in this thread, here's the suggested bikes:

S1000R, VFR800, MT-10, Ducati Monster, cbr600, Multistrada, XR1000, MT09, MV Agusta Brutale, an old old gsxr.

Proves you know zero about bikes if you think that's a list of touring bikes. Not one out and out touring bike in that list! Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

Hahahahahahahahahahah....... *deep breath*

hahhahahaahahhaahhahahahaha :rolleyes:

I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to keep up with me on my "old man" bike.;)

I've owned everything from a Marauder 125 to a Rocket III to a ZZR14 and all in-between and the GS range of bikes from BMW are some of the best made.

My new 1200GSA with quick shifter will beat most bikes off the line.

Until the first corner because you wouldn't be able to lean while I would be dragging knee with my slicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Until the first corner because you wouldn't be able to lean while I would be dragging knee with my slicks.

Nope, can't lean at all. You win this round !! :rolleyes:

4130051715_3a218e795e_b.jpg

Nope, can't lean at all. You win this round !! :rolleyes:

4130051715_3a218e795e_b.jpg

Exactly, as you can see in the picture, the engine is touching the ground and the guy pulls his body way off the bike just to touch the ground. Basically for a photoshoot. He's hanging off the bike like an ape, now go Google motogp pics and see how much is the rider hanging off. Poor engine design prevents hard ons.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I went through the posts in this thread, here's the suggested bikes:

S1000R, VFR800, MT-10, Ducati Monster, cbr600, Multistrada, XR1000, MT09, MV Agusta Brutale, an old old gsxr.

Proves you know zero about bikes if you think that's a list of touring bikes. Not one out and out touring bike in that list! Try harder.

Half of them are boring bikes. You need maximum hp and torque possible, for maximum orgasms. The time that you feel most alive is when you're closest to death.

Exactly, as you can see in the picture, the engine is touching the ground and the guy pulls his body way off the bike just to touch the ground. Basically for a photoshoot. He's hanging off the bike like an ape, now go Google motogp pics and see how much is the rider hanging off. Poor engine design prevents hard ons.

Stop, you're embarrassing yourself at this stage.

Stop, you're embarrassing yourself at this stage.

Ok, pussy boy. Go enjoy your tour across Ireland on a gs. You all get angry when the truth gets spoken.

Half of them are boring bikes. You need maximum hp and torque possible, for maximum orgasms. The time that you feel most alive is when you're closest to death.

Do you realize that a GSXR1000 is actually a low torque bike ?? The L7 only makes 103 at the back wheel.

Do you realize that a GSXR1000 is actually a low torque bike ?? The L7 only makes 103 at the back wheel.

Gsxr went downhill after k5 gsxr 1000. If you want torque then try k5-k6 and older models. One of the best bikes ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Cant believe no one has mentioned Harley.

Test ride one, it changed my mind about all the stereotypes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I'm beginning to think you are a 12 year old. Do you speak like this in real life or just to come across as an internet tough guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cant believe no one has mentioned Harley.

Test ride one, it changed my mind about all the stereotypes

I don't want to find out that Harleys are good. Can you not just leave us with our prejudices?

Next you'll be wanting us to try cauliflower and incest.

Some things are just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Hey, whats wrong with a little cousin lovin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Hey, whats wrong with a little cousin lovin :D

Spider babies. Spider babies are whats wrong with cousin lovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gsxr went downhill after k5 gsxr 1000. If you want torque then try k5-k6 and older models. One of the best bikes ever made.

Meh, a GSXR 1000 ~ baby stuff.. I had my first gixxer back in 93', it was a GSXR1100m (now we're talking a decent Gixxer ;) )

Now he's asking about a 2012 CBR600RR, opinions?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm on the 2011, now I'll admit, I do not use it to anywhere near it's limits but I love it, hasn't let me down, use it for touring as well.

Servicing can be a pain in the hole compared to a naked. I'm 5ft7, I'd say I'm about the perfect size for the bike, the bars are raised about 1cm which takes a lot of stress of the wrists.

From what I've read here, he's fairly tall so not sure how comfortable he would be crouching down on it.

hairyslug wrote: »
    I'm on the 2011, now I'll admit, I do not use it to anywhere near it's limits but I love it, hasn't let me down, use it for touring as well.

Servicing can be a pain in the hole compared to a naked. I'm 5ft7, I'd say I'm about the perfect size for the bike, the bars are raised about 1cm which takes a lot of stress of the wrists.

From what I've read here, he's fairly tall so not sure how comfortable he would be crouching down on it.

He's 6'2'' :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Mrtestosterone

So Mrhuth was right? 😠cbr1000rr would be more suitable for his height.

So Mrhuth was right? cbr1000rr would be more suitable for his height.

At 26 he runs into massive insurance quotes then, its a no win for the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mrtestosterone

At 26 he runs into massive insurance quotes then, its a no win for the lad

That not true, if you're over 25, your age doesn't matter anymore. It will all depend on ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That not true, if you're over 25, your age doesn't matter anymore. It will all depend on ncb.

It's absolutely true. Age is still a factor when getting insurance.

Guy at work was quoted €900 for a GS1200. He's 27 with 4 years on a full licence and NCB.

I'm 33 and was quoted €480.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

hairyslug wrote: »

He's 6'2'' :(

I'm about 6'3 and still drive my v strom 650. Was toying with the idea to replace her with something more sporty. Had a go on a mates cbr600rr and was crippled after an hour..... No thanks. I also had a spin on a zzr 1400 recently which was fine but overkill. I d say my next bike will be a v strom 1000 or a Triumph Tiger 1050 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MSVforever wrote: »
    I'm about 6'3 and still drive my v strom 650. Was toying with the idea to replace her with something more sporty. Had a go on a mates cbr600rr and was crippled after an hour..... No thanks. I also had a spin on a zzr 1400 recently which was fine but overkill. I d say my next bike will be a v strom 1000 or a Triumph Tiger 1050 :)

Aye, SV is far more relaxed riding position than the cbr. Lovely for a short stint but if youve spent time on a more relaxed position then you would struggle to go the other way.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Guy at work was quoted €900 for a GS1200. He's 27 with 4 years on a full licence and NCB.

Actually that was us making assumptions.

He came down this morning to tell me that his online quote was only another €150 over the F800GS, so the idiot my son :P is looking at an earlier suggestion of a CBR1000RR

Now if I was 26 I'd want a 1000RR too, but I'm his dad lol.

Thanks for all the idea's lads, its been appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

If he can afford it suggest he keep the GS for a little while. Park them next to each other and he'll be picking the GS every single day once the novelty has warn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Sonics2k wrote: »

He needs to shop around. I insured an 1150GS for less than 500 at 23. Less than 300 for an 1100LT last year at 26. Both fully comp.

Age makes a difference but he's being robbed at that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Actually that was us making assumptions.

He came down this morning to tell me that his online quote was only another €150 over the F800GS, so the idiot my son :P is looking at an earlier suggestion of a CBR1000RR

Now if I was 26 I'd want a 1000RR too, but I'm his dad lol.

Thanks for all the idea's lads, its been appreciated.

And why not haha, he can have a look at mine if he wants to see if it suits

Advertisement