Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade cab pickup/shipping UK->IE - anyone with experience/recommend someone?

Options
2»

Comments

BGOllie wrote: »
    nice . these both for ya ?

someones sniffing around........:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I wish :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how these turn out, any plans for them yet?
    BGOllie wrote: »
    nice . these both for ya ?
    No solid plans yet either to keep both or sell one, I've requested 2 control panels to be made anyway. A 2P NeoGeo panel and a 1P6B panel.
    Will see the condition of them once they arrive and then make up a plan as to what I will do. Maybe a NeoGeo with the unibios and the supported menu mutlicart, a MAME setup or a single JAMMA board? ...whatever goes in it/them, the cab artwork will need to be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    No solid plans yet either to keep both or sell one, I've requested 2 control panels to be made anyway. A 2P NeoGeo panel and a 1P6B panel.
    Will see the condition of them once they arrive and then make up a plan as to what I will do. Maybe a NeoGeo with the unibios and the supported menu mutlicart, a MAME setup or a single JAMMA board? ...whatever goes in it/them, the cab artwork will need to be suitable.

If you convert them and decide to move one on I'd be interested.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    If you convert them and decide to move one on I'd be interested.

I'd say if I plan to sell one it would be before its converted - don't think folks would be willing to cover the cost of conversion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I might shift the candy for one of these, might make more sense in my house!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I might shift the candy for one of these, might make more sense in my house!

heh, maybe - feel free to lock up this thread. Whenever they arrive I can if wanted start another thread logging the work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd say if I plan to sell one it would be before its converted - don't think folks would be willing to cover the cost of conversion

Some folks might ;)

Panel with buttons & Joystick, jamma power supply/loom and a few connectors, really easy to keep tidy too using all the sega connectors and bits, second one took me 3 hours to convert once I knew the setup, if the plastics at front are bad I have a repro front plastic bezel from finnsters lot across the road, never used it with mine, might have a few other bits too if needed

Panel with buttons & Joystick, jamma power supply/loom and a few connectors, really easy to keep tidy too using all the sega connectors and bits, second one took me 3 hours to convert once I knew the setup, if the plastics at front are bad I have a repro front plastic bezel from finnsters lot across the road, never used it with mine, might have a few other bits too if needed

The Sega connectors aren't the cheapest, did you find a good source?

• Advertisement

No I reused most of the ones from the loom in the cab, if it still has the dinoking hardware you'll find loads of useful bits on the loom, lop off the vga connector on the monitor too though and use another connector from the loom instead (or wire directly) as I was getting slight interference through it, (monitors are 15khz but have a vga connector) there's one cable (yellow iirc) that does'nt need to be connected to the loom, you can wire controls to a connector behind the control panel too and reuse the one from the existing control panel to keep it nice and tidy also makes it easy to swap around control panels if you ever need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ah great, away at the moment but the pallet with cabs on it meant to be delivered to my work place tomorrow. Fingers crossed on the condition and condition after shipping. Will see if a new bezel will be needed or not. Just saw a post on the same thread about artwork...ummm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ah great, away at the moment but the pallet with cabs on it meant to be delivered to my work place tomorrow. Fingers crossed on the condition and condition after shipping. Will see if a new bezel will be needed or not. Just saw a post on the same thread about artwork...ummm.

Get them, you can always sell them later

Cabs arrived in work, no time to bring them to the 'makerspace' for the unpacking - photos soonish.

Transland for the transport was grand, slight delay in pickup and drop off but looks like it was a cheapish option. 121euro, good for one 170kg pallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Congrats on the new arrival :D

Watching this with interest as I have a similar situation but my order is currently in limbo

Who did you get to wrap the cabs and put on pallet - the seller or a 3rd party?

Congrats on the new arrival :D

Watching this with interest as I have a similar situation but my order is currently in limbo

Who did you get to wrap the cabs and put on pallet - the seller or a 3rd party?

The seller wrapped them for me, secured to pallet, bubble wrap, cardboard etc.

No I reused most of the ones from the loom in the cab, if it still has the dinoking hardware you'll find loads of useful bits on the loom, lop off the vga connector on the monitor too though and use another connector from the loom instead (or wire directly) as I was getting slight interference through it, (monitors are 15khz but have a vga connector) there's one cable (yellow iirc) that does'nt need to be connected to the loom, you can wire controls to a connector behind the control panel too and reuse the one from the existing control panel to keep it nice and tidy also makes it easy to swap around control panels if you ever need to.

Just stripping out one of the cabs now, a few questions for yea :)
    • The monitor chassis says 100V-240V but the monitor tube says 100V, did you just keep the stepdown transformer in the base of the unit intact to power the monitor, degauss?
    • Power related again, I see two power boards. One labeled giving 12V and 5V and no pinout on the other board. Did you keep one/both of these boards and wire to JAMMA ignoring -5V (thats just for older boards I think right?) or pop in a JAMMA PSU?
    • did you keep a forum log of your conversion/work on yours? :) I'm all for not reinventing the wheel!
    I see what you mean about reusing the connectors from the cab. There are loads of them in the cab! Puts a Naomi cab to shame

For the monitor yes leave all those connections as is so you have power switch and degauss, (you can also wire up test and service to the other two buttons from your jamma loom) I took all internals out an used a standard jamma power supply. I took ac from just after the power filter, just disconnect the 2 wires, splice another 2 off them, (i used quick connectors, very handy) and reconnect. For FG you'll see where all ground connections meet on a little panel behind the transformer, I took FG from here to power supply. I placed the power supply on the wooden panel spare in front of the transformer, from there it was only sorting the jamma harness. I didnt keep a log unfortunately but I am sure theres one on ukvac (Its seems to be down at the moment) If you need any pictures let me know... For the panel i used the connector that was already there so I can swap panels easily if needed. Got the bits for a spinner panel but not had a chance to wire it up yet. When connecting the video from the loom, remove the vga connector on the monitor and dont connect the yellow cable or youll have sync issues, its not needed.

Thanks for the info! Might see about maybe keeping the PSU that came with it, seems the other PSU is a 24V supply used by the card dispenser from the wiring diagram.
    That yellow wire seems to be V.SYNC, the 'normal' SYNC used in JAMMA is H.SYNC right?

• Advertisement

Yeah HSYNC for 99% of jamma boards, I tried twisting them together but couldnt get any sync like that. I think the psu's were knicked from both of mine so no idea what the original power supply is like tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jamma uses CSYNC, which is a composite of HSYNC & VSYNC hence the name.. but in a lot of monitors use the HSYNC labelled input for CSYNC as well if you have no VSYNC. confused ?

hv_sync_csync1.gif?w=700

Ah, was just looking at that thread - grand - I've got a plan.
    Will wire the cab to JAMMA but I will initially use it as a MVS cab so will just used an adapter on the JAMMA connector to connect it to MVS for now.

Still need to test the PSU in the cab, but it outputs +12V and +5V which is what the majority of what I want use and ditch the +24V PSU it has. If -5V is ever needed, will worry about it then ;)
    JAMMA loom install is the next step so...and ensuring that MVS board is somewhere at work I can test with

Be interesting to see some shots of the power supply when you have it sorted... you putting in a 2 or 4 slot? afaik the majority of 1 slot mvs are jamma (unless it has a stereo/mono switch)

Be interesting to see some shots of the power supply when you have it sorted... you putting in a 2 or 4 slot? afaik the majority of 1 slot mvs are jamma (unless it has a stereo/mono switch)

Ah, your right a 1 slot is JAMMA - adapter order canceled (few euro sent to dude for his trouble), MV-1FZ and a UniBIOS ordered.
    Panel loom soldered up last night using parts of the cab loom which I removed - that took an age!

Mods: Possible maybe to change the title of this thread to 'KeRbDoG's Dino King Conversion log' ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

As this shall likely show up for searches of others interested ,
    I just wanted to mention that I had a pinball machine picked up by Transland in the UK and shipped to Ireland. Pickup on Friday afternoon, arrived to the door on Tuesday afternoon, and at what I consider to be a reasonable rate.
    Make sure it's well wrapped and secured on a pallet if undertaking similar.

-Fm

Advertisement