Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

MickH503 wrote: »
    Do you have a good source for the cherry supplements? I got some in Holland & Barrett last week, but I'm guessing there are better deals online somewhere?

I get them in Holland & Barrett, I generally wait for the cent sale to come around and stock up then

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

th283 wrote: »
    I get them in Holland & Barrett, I generally wait for the cent sale to come around and stock up then

What's the cent sale?

What's the cent sale?

You buy one item and get a second for 1 cent. Holland & Barrett run it as a promotion 3-4 times a year

What's the cent sale?

Just checked the website and it’s actually running at the moment so it’s €16.99 for a box of 30 or €17 for 2 boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

th283 wrote: »
    Just checked the website and it’s actually running at the moment so it’s €16.99 for a box of 30 or €17 for 2

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I ordered celery seed complex from amazon for 8 euro,with cherry and nettle,each tab(60) has 400mg of each,just on it for 3 days now,my toe is still sore tbh and I'm still not walking comfortably,will it completely heal or am I liable to be hobbling forever
    Swelling has gone way down but its still sore enough to touch near the joint

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Sorry for resurrecting this.

How’s the GOUT now lads?
    It’s switched between big toes / back and forth since Christmas for me.

Difene / anti inflammatories and still no relief
    (Actually - I got Diclac as opposed to difene although I’m told it’s the same)

Finally got Colchicine off the doctor today so I’m hoping this helps short term.
    Limping is so debilitating and embarrassing.

Long term , back running and (g)out with the stout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hows your water intake? dehydration is a big one for me and getting flare ups.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hows your water intake? dehydration is a big one for me and getting flare ups.

Could be better . Had blood tests and all came back fine, except he commented that i was a small bit dehydrated.
    Uric acid levels were fine apparently?

As far as I can remember I’ve had outbreaks but I never knew what they were.
    Even as a young fella like 12/13

Hydration is the key with it, its not the only thing but it can help ward off a flare up but diet is also key.

Only problem i find is figuring out what exactly is causing it diet wise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I think i have had gout for a year, I have a painful big toe and it is swollen. I am 18 stone so i assume it is because of the weight on it.

I think i have had gout for a year, I have a painful big toe and it is swollen. I am 18 stone so i assume it is because of the weight on it.

On and off for a year ?

Not an expert of course, but it’s more diet than actual pressure on the joint that initiates the pain.
    Then again, the weight on the joint when it’s swollen is a nightmare

Only thing to do is get it checked when you have a flare up .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Jaysus, anyone that gets gout these days must have an absolutely shite diet.

Never mind the supplements, just lay off the beer and steaks and it will go away. It's not called the rich mans disease for nothing.

Never mind the supplements, just lay off the beer and steaks and it will go away. It's not called the rich mans disease for nothing.

Go be edgy elsewhere please.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Its the most cruelest pain I have ever experienced, I had it on my toe the pain alone trying to put a sock on was excruciating, I fiend ibuprofen and vivimo cured but now it's back in my knee, I'm cutting my leg of soon if it doesn't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Might be bro-science but drinking coffee supposedly helps because it encourages bathroom visits which will carry some uric acid out of your body.
    A flare up is based on concentration in the blood so hydrating fully will give you a fighting chance to prevent one.
    I've never had anything that I would class as an instant cure, but when I get a flare up it just gets less painful over a few days. I avoid too much sugar and red meat, bit late at that stage but at least I'm not adding to my woes.
    I'm not a big drinker so at least I'm not contending with that either.

Other than genetic disposition/kidney issues it's the classic lifestyle stuff. Over weight, type 2 diabetic, sugar, alcohol, stress are all contributing factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Calhoun wrote: »
    Go be edgy elsewhere please.

It's not being edgy. The most common cause of gout is a poor diet and those that are disposed to it genetically get flare ups from a poor diet.

The best way to treat it is to put down the pints and the steaks, clean up the diet and have a less sedentary lifestyle.

It's not being edgy. The most common cause of gout is a poor diet and those that are disposed to it genetically get flare ups from a poor diet.

The best way to treat it is to put down the pints and the steaks, clean up the diet and have a less sedentary lifestyle.

It was and you know it, look at how it reads.

Most know that it's weight and diet, but there are ways to deal with it when you have it and how to prevent flare ups.

Good man ... thanks for the medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's not quite that simple - fairly large genetic factor involved here (in my case, my father who is not overweight has several flareups per year, as does my brother who is also not overweight - hit all of us like clockwork at 30). In fact my last major, hellish flare-up was when I put down the beers and the steaks and went on a weight-loss diet and excercise programme which shed 20kg from me. I later learned that any sudden, significant change in diet one way or another can trigger it.

What works for me when I start to feel it coming (as another poster here said, tends to be itchiness on the side of the affected toe) is to take the difene then before the pain comes and drink plenty of water. Then elevate the foot and give it a good rest. The cherry suppliments help keep it from starting in the first place.

It's an absolute dose when it's in full swing - something to be avoided at all costs really, as it can put you out of action for days at a time. I remember when I has my first flare-up I legitimately thought I'd broken my toe at first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am 76 kg and around 178cm so not close to overweight by any stretch. Run regularly and would be fairly fit. Diet could be better but it is not bad. Got a awful dose of it last week in my knee. I could barely walk with it. luckily I am working from home so could manage. Took a tonne of Ibufrofen and 2 days later I was right as rain and did a 19 km run.
    I seem to get short term flare ups but drugs are your friend. Without the Ibuprofen or anti inflams you would end up hacking off your limbs.

I have 3 brothers and we all get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    It's not quite that simple - fairly large genetic factor involved here (in my case, my father who is not overweight has several flareups per year, as does my brother who is also not overweight - hit all of us like clockwork at 30). In fact my last major, hellish flare-up was when I put down the beers and the steaks and went on a weight-loss diet and excercise programme which shed 20kg from me. I later learned that any sudden, significant change in diet one way or another can trigger it.

What works for me when I start to feel it coming (as another poster here said, tends to be itchiness on the side of the affected toe) is to take the difene then before the pain comes and drink plenty of water. Then elevate the foot and give it a good rest. The cherry suppliments help keep it from starting in the first place.

It's an absolute dose when it's in full swing - something to be avoided at all costs really, as it can put you out of action for days at a time. I remember when I has my first flare-up I legitimately thought I'd broken my toe at first.

Pretty much sums up my experience! It's moved from the big toe when I first got it 10 years ago to my ankle recently - so bad I thought i'd broken a bone in it playing astro and got an x-ray.
    I'm fit, not overweight and have a good diet. as previously mentioned when I notice the itch (I get it on my neck!) start taking anti-inflammatory's and it sorts it out quick enough.

Advertisement